Dome Sweet Home

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 3, 2010 – 8:17 pm

With their win over the Giants at Mall of America Field on Sunday afternoon, the Vikings put the finishing touches on a perfect home record for 2009, going 8-0 at home for just the 3rd time in franchise history.

More important, though, than adding to that record is the fact that Sunday’s win combined with the Philadelphia Eagles loss gave the Vikings the NFC’s #2 seed and guaranteed the Vikings games inside domes for as long as they remain in the playoffs.

The only time the Vikings will play on the road the rest of the way is if the matchup with the New Orleans Saints in the NFC Championship Game. The Saints, of course, play in the Louisiana Superdome.

Much has been made about the Vikings struggles recently in games played outdoors/on grass surfaces. From this point forward, until they reach the Super Bowl, the Vikings will be playing on fast, artificial surfaces under fixed roofs.

Counting home and road games, the Vikings record over the past 2 seasons while playing on artificial surfaces and under fixed roofs is 18-3.

37 Responses to “Dome Sweet Home”

1. By Mr. Hiltner on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey undefeated at home. Great let’s stay at the dome and not tax me for stadium welfare! Things are wonderful at the paid for dome.

2. By Bryan on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Go Vikings!!! Woot woot!!!! Playoffs here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. By PAVikesFan on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Oi vay!…The dome is what is costing us revenue. It may be paid for, but, it lacks everything. We are de-ad last in the league in income, and a major reason for that is our stadium. So, we “NEED” a new stadium, otherwise, the franchise will go belly-up. Know ur facts before sounding like an id-iot…Move to another state and root for the Lions

4. By purple08 on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Hitler is more like it.

5. By Bruce on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

I think they finally found what works for them. They are a POWERFUL PASSING TEAM with AP as a HARD DOWN HILL RUNNER. They use this same type of balance in the post season and I will gurantee this team a Championship! Congratulations on being only the 3rd different player to pass for 4000 yards Brett!

6. By Bruce on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Chester is pretty dang good too!

7. By Mr. Hiltner on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

The Dome is cosing ”us” revenue?? Who is the us? Ain’t me. I’m guessing when they take tax payer money to buy a new stadium they will make the new stadium more comfortable and roomy for the fan’s right??? We will have more comfortable seats right??? No Stadium Welfare. Thanks.

8. By PAVikesFan on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, I think it’s final. This year, at least, we ARE a passing team with a great RB. I think, ironically, we officially ‘found’ out who we are in the 2nd half of the Bears game last week. It’s OK, you can still have a good, effective running game. If you have success passing the ball, it can open up the running game. Thing that will always worry me is defense. I want to see how we fare vs. a dynamic offense. The Giants mailed in their season, that’s not really a barometer for our defense. I’m so greatful for this bye b/c Antoine Winfield can rest his foot and it gives evryone to re-fresh themselves and gather themselves for one last push

9. By PurplePeopleEater on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

That was the fewest carries that AP has had all year, but also just about the best YPC average he has had at an even 6. It appears that we are much better when we really mix in all the running talent that we have more evenly. Not including the performance of backups (or Favre’s 2 yards credited before throwing it and getting the penalty) we averaged 5 yards per carry. This is the type of play that I have been expecting from the team all year. It keeps the defense from keying on one player in the running game and/or penalizes them for making that mistake.

10. By PAVikesFan on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

OK, buddy. Then at least enjoy these last few years we have in the dome

11. By PurplePeopleEater on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey Hiltner – “Your” taxpayer money is being spent to throw tons of extra effort towards teaching mischief children, most of whom will end up living at the bottom rung of society anyways. It is being thrown at buying cable television and other luxuries for criminals in prison! Why don’t you try to make complaints about the things we are spending taxpayer money that really don’t make sense, than on something that is GUARANTEED to increase state revenue more than its initial cost.

12. By PAVikesFan on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

OK, I just checked out my facebook page, went to the Vikings page, and who’s name do I see on there posting “stadium welfare”, repeatedly? That’s right, Mr. Hiltner. This guy is obviously looking to get a rise out of ppl. I guess I’ve fallen trap for that

13. By Randz527 on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

I would be very afraid to play the Green Bay Packers again. That team just seems to be playing the best out of all 6 teams in the playoffs. If that reciever for Pitt drops that ball, they have won 8 games in a row. And not just winning the games but destroying the teams they played. For some reason the media is staying away from the Packers. Plus their defense is alot better now too. I think their defense is alot better than ours right now. And if we do play them in our dome. You know the Packer fans will be there in full force. They always are. We have TO MANY fare weather fans in Minnesota. What do you guys think.

14. By Mr. Hiltner on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

PA,
    Nice!!!
    Sorry, but man is this fun!
    Mr. Hiltner
    Let the mayhem continue.
    Purple People Eater,
    I do post on those other things, but it’s not appropriate for this page and so forth.
    oh,
    NO STADIUM WELFARE

15. By Natetechfc on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Wow Mr. Hiltner!!! I think everyone understands over the last couple of boards that you don’t want to pay for it out of your taxes! How about this figure out what its actually gonna cost you a little over five dollars in taxes, then figure how much time you,ve wasted complaining about it, and now you can figure you’ve lost more money complaining then your actually going to lose by building the stadium. GO VIKES!!!

16. By Mr. Hiltner on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

And I just like complaining because its so much easier than doing anything to improve my life. I’m too much of a moron to earn a good living, so I’ll just btch and moan about where all my tax dollars go, without studying or even trying to understand if its a good idea.

17. By Mr. Hiltner on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

I NO STADIUM WELFARENO STADIUM WELFARENO STADIUM

a WELFARENO STADIUM WELFARENO STADIUM WELFARE
    m NO STADIUM WELFARENO STADIUM WELFARENO

a STADIUM WELFARENO STADIUM WELFARENO STADIUM

m WELFARENO STADIUM WELFARENO STADIUM WELFARE
    o NO STADIUM WELFARENO STADIUM WELFARENO STADIUM
    r WELFARENO STADIUM WELFARENO STADIUM WELFARENO
    o STADIUM WELFARENO STADIUM WELFARENO STADIUM
    n WELFARENO STADIUM WELFARENO STADIUM WELFARE

18. By Mr. Hiltner on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

I don’t care if it’s one cent. The government taking money form one to give to another is wrong. I shall speak out against it relentlessly, constantly. It’s what I do.

19. By PAVikesFan on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Man, watch out for this guy at his work. He may be on the 6 o’clock news, if u know what I mean. Disgruntled are you?…Maybe tomorrow you will wake up on the right side of the bed. I feel for you, man, honestly. You need some good ol lovin, find urself a nice girl and things will turn around. We’re here for you, brother

20. By Mr. Hiltner on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

The government should not tax us at all. It should simply impose my will on everyone and do it all through charity.

21. By Mr. Hiltner on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey, now there are 2 Mr. Hiltner’s posting things here. I defer to the other guy’s stuff. It’s funnier.

22. By PAVikesFan on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

How ironic??…Not 1, but, 2 Mr. Hiltner’s?!…Oh, this is not good. We are in trouble, people. Yeah, the “1″ Mr.Hiltner is quite a riot. If only u could be as funny as him, oh my

23. By jeffrey on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

I’m happy for the team and for the coahes but more important I’m happy for all the fans like myself. I remember the disappointment I felt after losing to the over-rated Falcons who then where over matched against Denver in the Super Bowl. This team will fight to the end and I know if Brett is allowed to play football the way he’s playing we really might have a shot. Go Vikes and Farve is the man!!!!

24. By PAVikesFan on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

I know. I just hope this season has a different ending. It’s good right now, but, our blood pressure and nerves will be thru the roof come playoff time. One goal, One team, One dream, One city,…ONE!

25. By jeffrey on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

I think Hitler’s back in his bunker. Goodnight to all the loyal and true Viking Fans. Tonight was great!! We all can rest and get ready for a wonderful playoff run. Take care everyone even you Hitler!!!!

26. By cropdoc on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

Where will they build the new stadium? Kind of leave a hole in the downtown arrea if they don’t rebuild somewhere close to downtown.

27. By Paul Roberts on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

Been waiting a long time for this! Just want to see the VIKINGS win ONE SUPER BOWL! Dare I believe this is FINALLY the year?

28. By alfonzo zamora on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

ive been waiting since 96 about the time i started watching football for the vikings to look this good. im a hardcore/die hard viking fan let go vikings . (im fom LA )

29. By MikeTheVike on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

@Mr.Hiltner. You must be a closet-cheesyhead anyway so just go away. We come up from Orlando every year from 3 days to 10 days to watch 1 or 2 games. Yes, there needs to be a new stadium

30. By MikeTheVike on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

I got to see the VIKINGS TWICE during the 1998 season when we went 15 & 1 and I must say that we look better. Hope we go all the way in the play-offs. Brett has been in 2 SB’s before so he knows the ropes. ~~ SKOL VIKINGS ~~

31. By Josey on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

My guess is Bee Charmer and Mr. Hiltner were both banned from here. Haven’t heard from either in some time now.

32. By nuehrinht on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

viks rule. they are going all the way

33. By Nate F. on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

do you think vikes should go for the following players
    Julius Peppers
    Shawn Merriman
    Osi Umenyiora
    Terell Owens
    Randy Moss (if his contract’s up)

I really want to see this as a blog to hear people’s comments about it

thanks

34. By Scott on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

I don’t mind if there is help from the state/county/city, but they must repay it. There are plenty of small businesses that would like help from the tax payers, but they get nothing. If the Vikes left, there would be minimal loss of revenue. We don’t save a lot of money, so if we aren’t buying football tickets, jerseys or eating in the restaurants before/after a game, we’ll be spending the money somewhere else on other stuff.

35. By Seth on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Hiltner has obviously not been to the Dome since the early 1980′s or he’d know just how rundown and out-of-date that stadium is. My own TV seems like it’s bigger than the Jumbotrons they have in those stands, and only two bathrooms? It’s a real pain in the keester when you’ve chugged three quarts of beer and have to spend 20 mins waiting in line to take a leak. To add to that, the life expectancy for the roof ended four years ago. The Metrodome was never meant to last longer than 25 years, but here it is, approaching 29. It’s time for a new stadium, and I really do not want to be cheering for the Los Angeles Vikings. That’s our team, and we should fight, and pay if necessary, to keep it.

36. By Scott on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

True, the dome is painfully outdated, but the debate is who should pay, not if we need a new one. Other businesses have to get loans and pay it back. Nothing prohibiting the Vikes from opening up a fund for fans to contribute – I would, I want them to stay – I grew up with them and still follow them despite living in another country – kickoff is at 2am here. Given the economic situation in the state, the gov’t can’t just give out the $$ for free.

37. By Nate F, on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

I think Green Bay is going to beat Arizona. Dallas will beat Philadelphia. We face Dallas and beat them. The packers beat the saints. Then we face Packs in the NFC Championship. Either way I have a feeling we’re going to play packers. Arizona crushed us several weeks ago and although they are banged up I don’t know if I want to face them. Whatever happens happens.

But it would be a great way for favre to go out if they play the packers one more time and eliminate them. Go to the Superbowl and face the jets ( the team that he was on last year) the media would eat it up.