Blogs

Two Sides To The Coin

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 30, 2009 – 2:23 pm

Unless you’ve been living in seclusion for the past few weeks, you’re aware that the Vikings could finish the regular season anywhere from the NFC’s #2 seed to the conference’s #4 seed.

The difference in those positions is significant because the #2 seed will watch Wild Card Weekend from the comforts of home while the #4 seed will be on their home turf battling it out against a wild card team.

Obviously the preferred position is the #2 seed, primarily because of the 1st-round bye that accompanies it, right? Well, oddly enough, 4 of the last 8 teams to play in a Super Bowl also played on Wild Card Weekend and 3 of those 4 wild card teams actually won the NFL title.

So while conventional wisdom says having a bye and a week to rest is the way to go, there’s also an angle that suggests there’s a benefit to playing in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Asked about this dilemma today during his regular Wednesday meeting with reporters, Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress acknowledged the benefits of having a bye and the benefits to be gained by playing in the 1st round.

“Just that collective take a breath and heal up a little bit and be fresh, that’s the upside of that,” he said of having a bye in the 1st round. “And the upside of the other one is that you continue to play. You’ve played a game the week before somebody that has a bye, so they’ve been off the field a little bit…if there’s any rustiness that occurs from that time off.

“And obviously those teams that are playing somebody that had a bye, they’re coming in with some ups because they won the week before and they won in a playoff setting the week before.”

In the end though, I think it’s silly to suggest any player, coach or team would actually prefer to play on Wild Card Weekend as opposed to having a bye. After all, you can’t be eliminated from the Super Bowl tournament while you’re enjoying a 1st-round bye.

Childress seemed to agree.

“There are two sides to the coin,” Childress opined. “The biggest part of that is the ability to not to play a game at the end of the week and the wear and tear that your body goes through.”


Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 24 Comments »


24 Responses to “Two Sides To The Coin”

  1. By Big Dawg on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    Leave the offence to Favre that jumbo package you put in the 4th Quarter really worked for a 3 yrd loss??? And give the ball to taylor at the end of the game we can’t afford any more fumbles!!!

  2. By Josey on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    agree, big dawg. agree. Love Peterson, really but the guy should have taken a step out of bounds in OT. He’s great for a 1 yard td run at the end, but need to use Taylor more.

    Brett has the offense clicking and when he was in the zone Monday night, not much can stop him.

  3. By Viking-ology on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    Yes Peterson fumbled, and has an issue with holding onto the ball, but he is still the best RB in the league. The Vikes should have never been in that position in the first place. Chicago had two backup safetys in there. We should have been running up the score from opening drive. Its pathetic to see a team with this much offensive power, to be trying to ‘grind’ it out with an inferior team like the Bears
    Remember the ‘Greatest show on turf’ Those Ram teams used thier talent to be in control of each game, and we have that kind of talent-and then some. Where has Berrian been, he’s almost invisible. We have no offensive imagination. Percy Harvin is a serious weapon… I could go on…sorry fellow posters, just venting! C’mon Vikes, show us what you got!!

  4. By OLD SCHOOL on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    Go Dallas ! We need to put the hammer down on the QB’s….D-Line needs to put pressure on the QB’s again. Rodgers,Mcnabb,Warner,Bress….all will tear us apart with the pass if we don’t get any pressure on them….constant pressure.We can’t scheme our way out of our secondary issues. We have what we have back there. If we can’t do that….doesn’t matter if we had 1st,2nd,3rd seed…we will be done on the first game we play! DONE! Is it possible?! I think we can…but it will take 2 or 3 games of all phases hitting on all marks…all 4 quarters ! All 4….not a half…no let up…our secondary is so bad some times that it looks as if we are in a prevent D in the first half!!!!

  5. By OLD SCHOOL on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    Oh…by the way, somebody needs to stay home and spy the Mcnabbs of the world and Rodgers…so they don’t take off and run down the middle of the field for 20 yards…..Jasper !!!!You hear me Jasper!

  6. By BearFan on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    Yeah – the Vikings secondary made Cutler look like a Pro-Bowler! Thanks A.P. – we sure do appreciate it. Viking fans, order your division champions t-shirts now cause that’s all there is…Go Bears!

  7. By Bruce on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    Just stick to the play calling you did in the second half of the Bears game and the Vikes will go all the way. The defense will get rested and be fired up on the field. AP will get better runs if you open the run with the PASS!!!

  8. By GJ on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    Get Harvin involved. A little pass here and there is not the person you drafted. He WANTS the ball. Let him loose.

  9. By OLD SCHOOL on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    I would like to thank Brett Farve…..I will get a little personal right now…for you young guys out there that put post up, I enjoy talking and hoping with you, about Viking Football! I am 39 years old, and I am a Detective here in Florida, I have been doing Police work for 15 years now. I know what it takes to wake up, at Brett’s age, after a night of running after a subject and rolling around with them. The stress, Wear and tear on the body. Reaching for the Moltrin bottle.And I stay in shape. (NOT all of us eat donuts).Thank you Brett! As a sports fan, there has not been a game this year that I have watched, that I don’t walk away shaking my head in amazement!!! You young guys, you may never,(In my opinion), never see a player like him again!!! NEVER!! He is the best and toughest that I have ever seen !!!! PERIOD !!!!

  10. By Badknees on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    Chily – let Brett run the show man…

  11. By Bruce on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    The take on the “You have to have balance in the run & pass game” is WRONG! That concept is outdated and the word balance in your discussions seems to be assumed as a 50/50 type of balance which does not have to exist to win football games. Secondly, I have seen those BIG GUYS do just fine against the pass rush. And your backs or tight ends should be helping out with that as well. I think Minnesota with all its weapons and having Brett Favre at the helm would be considered a “Balanced” team having 75% Pass to 25% Rushing plays. That is what will work with them! You all saw that second half of the Chicago game didn’t you? My point is this depending on the team’s roster & talent, a team can be 80/20, 75/25/ 70/30, 65/35, 60/40, 55/45 or 50/50 when it comes to the pass/rush plays called and still be BALANCED! You go with WHATEVER WORKS not some obscure word such as “Balanced” in the REAL FOOTBALL WORLD! If rushing more than passing gets you a title, then run it! But if passing more than rushing works better for you, then PASS THAT BALL PLEASE! Because the bottom line isn’t what percentage you have as far as pass plays versus run plays and the bottom line isn’t if you have “Balance” (Most over used word on the NFL set!) The bottom line is DOING WHAT WORKS AND DOING WHAT WINS GAMES! Forget about the so-called right balance and just score points with the plays that work! THE SECRET TO WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES IS THAT THE BALANCE WILL FIND ITSELF WHEN YOU HAVE FOUND WHAT PLAYS WORK! Just mentally remove the words “Pass” and “Run” from your vocabulary and replace those words with “Positive” and “Negative” plays!

  12. By JON on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    The team has got all the talent they need but micromanagement detroys talent.
    Let the the defense lay down the lumber, let A.P. run his game, and let Brett call the plays. I have followed the Vikings since the Joe Kapp days and the fans deserve this Brad.

  13. By viks choke again on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    yes Brad, keep your nose oout of the game! you can sure tell who does it better, childress ran the 1st half and brett ran the 2nd half. if chilly would keep out of the game, we will do fine. fire chilly now!

  14. By purplehorn on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    Everyone is wondering what will happen post season. I’m still hoping the Vikings have a good game against the Giants. This might do more for them than worrying about seed position. I keep telling people to remember Carolina last year. They were cold after sitting two weeks and it showed. The Giants came in and got a roll going and it didn’t quit two years prior. There is no better team to prepare for post season against than the Giants- and we better be ready for them.

  15. By Kim on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    Hey! Don’t give up on this TEAM! It has been a great ride this year. I will always be a VIKINGS fan and appreciate the effort of our Team. Yes, they need to step it up & BELIEVE that they can WIN the Super Bowl! Coach Childress…watch “Remember the Titans” with your Team…every time I watch the Vikings…my saying is…”Leave NO DOUBT”! The team needs to Believe this…YOU HAVE everything you need to WIN! You just need to BELIEVE! WAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!

  16. By VikingsDefenseFan on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    I said a few hurtful comments about the Vikings a few days ago. “Feeling pretty awful about it.” Anyway, I understand why Childress attempted to call the shots for the 1st half against the Bears. It was mainly because he didn’t want Favre to take any risks. That is the truth, but it bit us square in the ass. Kim’s comment summarizes the reality of the situation point blank. We do need to believe in this team. I for one DO. Chilly is the last to get on board, put up the mast and lay in a course for Victory. GO VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  17. By Bruce on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    I just re-watched Bears/Vikings game and took away the following conclusions. 1) Favre gets sacked when a tackle or guard doesn’t stay with their guy for more than a second or two. 2) Adrian Peterson gets his best runs on the outside and NOT up the middle 3)They should run 3&4 wide receiver sets more often 4) Definetly get Greg Lewis more involved in the passing game, he has good hands and good yards after the catch 5) Pass 75% of the time because that is this team’s strong suit with Favre at the helm and it also opens the run up nicely 6) A TRUE balanced offense will find it’s own balance and it is NOT 50/50, it is whatever gives you the most positive plays!

  18. By Bruce on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

    THE SECRET TO WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES IS THAT THE BALANCE WILL FIND ITSELF WHEN YOU HAVE FOUND WHAT PLAYS WORK!

  19. By Gordon on Dec 31, 2009 | Reply

    Regarding: “Obviously the preferred position is the #2 seed, primarily because of the 1st-round bye that accompanies it, right? Well, oddly enough, 4 of the last 8 teams to play in a Super Bowl also played on Wild Card Weekend and 3 of those 4 wild card teams actually won the NFL title. So while conventional wisdom says having a bye and a week to rest is the way to go, there’s also an angle that suggests there’s a benefit to playing in the 1st round of the playoffs.”

    No, those stats don’t imply that angle. Even leaving aside the problem of the small sample size (not really large enough to infer probabilities), even if we assume the chance of the conference winner being a team that played the first week are 50%, that doesn’t mean that A PARTICULAR TEAM that WILL PLAY will play in the first week has equal chance as a bye team of winning the conference, because, obviously, that first week team has to win in that first week.

    In other words, even if we assume that the 4 teams entering the second week each have a 25% chance of winning the conference, and even if we assume that the chance of a particular team winning in the first week is 60%, the chance (prior to playing the first game) of that particular team winning the conference is (0.6) X (0.25) = 0.15, i.e., 15%, compared with the 25% chance of each of the bye teams.

    As for the 3 out of 4 first week teams who win the conference winning the Super Bowl, the sample size is so small it would be silly to assign a 75% chance (not that a sample of 8 is good).

  20. By chon69 on Dec 31, 2009 | Reply

    I like Viking-ology’s way of thinking. Childress isn’t adjusting like he should with each game and attacking weaknesses. His stubbornness is a negative on this team in the playoffs. Just as Viking-ology pointed out, there are two he refuses to acknowledge;

    1. Pulling AP at crucial times in the game.
    2. Go after the other teams weakness.

  21. By purple08 on Jan 1, 2010 | Reply

    Up yours OldSchcool! Favre could not carry Montanas’ or Mannings jockstrap. Most overrated QB in the history of the NFL. 1 superbowl ring, wooooo! big deal. Go away Favre! please. Gordon…what the heck are you talking about? Shouldn’t you be out building a spaceship or something?

  22. By Gordon on Jan 2, 2010 | Reply

    Purple08,
    Just pointing out that it doesn’t make sense to say “there’s also an angle that suggests there’s a benefit to playing in the 1st round of the playoffs” based on the numbers presented. One doesn’t really have to go through the math. It’s intuitive (or common sense, whichever you prefer).

  23. By jsilvy on Jan 2, 2010 | Reply

    I’m so glad Mr. Wilf signed Childress to an extention. Now we are stuck with the worst coach in the league. Get rid of the jumbo package. Spread the field with 3 or 4 wideouts. Let Brett throw the ball to open the run game. Yes Peterson fumbled, but there should have been a facemask called..

  24. By Bruce on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

    Is purple08 a Packer fan in disguise? He lambasts Favre who has the most wins and records of any QB to ever play the game and who at 40 years old ended up with the Number #2 passer rating for the season. He must be a Packer fan!

Post a Comment