Can’t Count On Cutler

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 23, 2009 – 10:11 am

One of Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress’ standard lines is that he wants his players to “make the routine plays routinely,” meaning he’s concerned more with consistency of performance as much as the actual standard of performance.

When the Chicago Bears paid a heavy price to acquire QB Jay Cutler this past offseason, the expected standard performance from the Bears QB position and entire offense went sky-high. But the consistency factor hasn’t matched those expectations.

In Cutler’s 1st regular season game as a Bear, he threw 4 INTs in a 21-15 loss at Green Bay. But the QB with a powerful arm followed up that letdown performance with 3 straight games of 100+ passer ratings, which led to 3 straight wins. Since then, however, he hasn’t gotten back in the 100s in terms of passer rating, coming close just twice, and he leads the NFL in INTs with 25.

The point is Chicago hasn’t been able to count on Cutler – he’s been great at times and not great at times.

But given Cutler’s volatility, the Vikings shouldn’t be counting on Cutler either. That is to say, they shouldn’t count on him having a bad game, not when he’s got redemption on his mind and not when he’s playing at home.

Cutler has thrown just 5 of his 25 INTs at home and he’s thrown 11 of his 19 TD passes at Soldier Field. He also won his first 3 games at home and if he can find that early-season, home-game form, the Bears will have a chance to attack the Vikings pass defense, which is ranked 16th in passing yards allowed and has given up 22 passing TDs.

The Vikings had their way with Cutler at Mall of America Field about a month ago, sacking him 4 times and intercepting him twice. A repeat of that performance will put the Vikings in great position to capture their 12th win and come one step closer to securing the NFC’s #2 seed.

23 Responses to “Can’t Count On Cutler”

1. By Vikings Fan from Afar (West) on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

Considering how Matt Moore shredded our vaunted defense, I’m pretty sure Cutler will throw for 500 yards, 6 TD, and no picks on MNF. I hope not, but it’s looking like that right now.

2. By Vike fan in Illinios on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

There is no reason the Vikings should’nt get to Cutler. The Bears OL is a work in progress, if you can call it that. One key to the game, not only this week, but weeks to come is. Will Farve try to do too much. The Bears seem to play much better at home against a division foe. This could be a very close game. Although on paper the Vikings should destroy. Show the Monday night audience just how good the Vikings really are when they don’t beat themselves.

3. By Bill Vike Fan on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

Beware the road game. Beware the grass(?) playing surface. Beware the outdoors, cold, wind, rotten hotel room. I am afraid this year’s Vikings are a bunch of wusses. Sorry, bit I also don’t think the #2 seed is that valuable. If the team is fired up, they will win big. Otherwise they will lose big. BTW, can someone teach AP how to block?????

4. By rap99 on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

the 2 seed means a week off to heal up! very important! also means 1st game is a home game. bill,agreed vs. panthers vikes were GUTLESS!!! no heart!

5. By FAVREVITIELIZED on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

FAVRE ARE BELOVED LEADER ARE ONLY HOPE TOO THE S.B. FIRE CILLY GO VIKES 4 LIFE.::

6. By PAVikesFan on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

I ha-te these games, cold-weather, December, prime-time game at ur rivals’ home, their own Super Bowl. They have nothing to lose and will give everything they have to take it to us, count on that! I am not confident at all in this matchup, even though we played probably our best game of the year vs. them last time, that’s when we officially peaked, that game. From what I’ve seen, there is nothing that tells me that we are going to do any better than what we;ve done on the road lately. Our last road win was against GB, and that was Nov. 1, a long time since we’ve won on the road. We’ve never been a good road team, in all my years as a fan, we get away from our comforts in the dome and we are a different team. They will rise up, and I think u will see Jay Cutler’s best game of the season. I really believe that, our guys better watch out, b/c there is a terrific chance that by the time we all wake up on Tuesday, Dec. 29, we will be the 3rd seed in the playoffs…I hope I am soooo wrong, but, I’m stating what I feel. I’ll gladly come on here and accept crow if we win.

7. By FAVREVITIELIZED on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

BEAT THE BEARS.BRETT….

8. By PAVikesFan on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

I’m sick of these Brett Favre fans, they sicken me. Favre this, Favre that, etc, etc, etc. I mean, I like the guy, too, but, enough of this love fest with the guy. I cant stand all the attention he gets form fans and from the media. He’s 1 player, a good player, but he’s just 1 of the players, 1 of 53 on an active roster. There’s more to our team than just him. In a way, I wont be too upset when he leaves, then the media and allt eh attention antionally will leave our team, and then we can fly under the radar. I’m not so sure some of our guys know how to handle the spotlight from a national perspective.

9. By PAVikesFan on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

I was attempting to write Nationally at the beginning of the second to last sentence

10. By Bill Vike Fan on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

Allright. Here is the prediction: If AP gains less than 10 yards in his first three running plays,. the Vikings will lose the game, and you might as well turn to american idol or whatever. If I am wrong, I will come back for crow.
    BTW I went to school with Carl Eller.

11. By paul on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

If #4 looks like a frozen popsicle Monday night , good luck Vikings.

Lovie Smith = cover two defense.

12. By fmfan on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

can’t count on Cutler or can’t count on Favre ? We need to run as much as we pass and maybe even run more in the 1st half.

13. By PAVikesFan on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

‘Bill Vike Fan’, I actually agree, even though it seems ludacris, but, ur right, b/c if that does happen then we will abandon the running game…One more thing, this whole thing with #4 and Chilly. He dug his own grave by picking him up at the airport and personally transporting him to the practice facitity, and now he’s getting upset b/c of a few audibles????…That’s part of the game,coach. When the QB sees something he thinks will work better than the original play, he’s supposed to call an audible into something more favorable. My gosh, suppose he coached someone like Peyton Manning, he would be completely go balistic then!…Get a grip and loosen the heck up, ur not the all-mighty one

14. By brettfavrevikings on Dec 24, 2009 | Reply

whats sinking this vikings ship is the lack of the run game and too much pressure on favre to win the game and the O line failing terribly to protect him. The defense tends to fare well, but like the sunday game, they had no heart.

15. By fmfan on Dec 24, 2009 | Reply

whats sinking the ship is Favre wanting to be the hero. We need to run more just look at last week we had 31 pass plays and only 14 run plays. Peterson should have as many if not more carries as there are pass plays. Lets get back to the game plan. GO VIKINGS

16. By b-rad on Dec 24, 2009 | Reply

all these farve haters the vikings wuld not be where there at without farve
    AP will get it going give them a chance. if farve wants to change the play so be it he sees more then coach does. the OL has got to give him time to pass and give AP a whole to go threw. they are 11-3 maybe if some of you bandwagon fans had as much heart and drive as farve has you would be happy with where your team is!

17. By CA Norwegian on Dec 24, 2009 | Reply

Lets see some wildcat! Tjack as a wideout. Snap to Percy, Pitch option to Adrian. Lets see lots of hurry-up, to tire the defense, and get rhythm. Wildcat would be one way to ensure Favre doesn’t audible out of the run. It is supposed to be very windy, and the running game is our best hope. Bears have played us very tough, with some poor teams over the years, but we can prevail. This is one game that shouldn’t be about Favre and his QB ratings. Lets see Chester as a slot guy for some downfield blocks. Heck even Favre can cut the Corner out of the wild cat. Lets run!

18. By moorevikes on Dec 24, 2009 | Reply

for those who want the wildcat so much go watch the phins oh wait their not doing it anymore. sorry but if you want a game full of trick plays go down to your local pee wee league. just not a fan of the cat i’m sick of hearing “do the wildcat offense” but hey that’s why i love this site people can voice their opinions. plus it seems we have gotten to 11-3,division title, and in the playoffs by passing and running the ball the old fashion way. if i were going to spend anymore time in practice on something it would be taking the two things that hang from your shoulders lifting them up in an open position and then wrapping them around the person carrying the football and then have the ten other players repeat the same process if neccesary

19. By rap99 on Dec 25, 2009 | Reply

MOORE lol, that would be a good drill for the vikes! hope chilly reads that.

20. By Canadian vikes fan on Dec 26, 2009 | Reply

Sinking the ship? Nice to see so much positivity. I cannot believe some of you “fans”. The fans are waiting for one slip up in an otherwise magical season then everybody comes on here with “I have been a Vikings fan since Tarkenton and I am and done with this team, bla bla whine whine “. Look at the standings people. This team is still one of the elite teams in the league.
    PAVikes fan are you kidding me, you’re happy when nobody pays attention to the Vikings? Speak for yourself, I live in Canada and since I’ve been a fan of this team I’ve been lucky to catch about 3 or 4 games a year on TV and be happy with that, but with Favre on the team, almost every single game this season has been on TV here, and I love it. Vikings need to just come out and play some good football, mix up the playcalling, get it to Percy Harvin a lot because this kid is a playmaker, and maybe run try out a few runs with our PRO BOWL fullback, eh Chilly? Vikes, just play your game, play some entertaining football, and thsi team can easily beat this team.

21. By Canadian vikes fan on Dec 26, 2009 | Reply

I don’t mean run the ball with the fullback, I mean run the ball with him blocking, I’m sick of single back sets.

22. By OMG! on Dec 27, 2009 | Reply

I heard Favre is gay!

23. By Tro on Dec 27, 2009 | Reply

Dont worry people the Vikes will be the # 2 seed and that will help propel them to the Super Bowl