Packers Loss Gives Vikings NFC North Title

Posted by Ryan Cardinal on December 20, 2009 – 6:52 pm

The Vikings clinched their 2nd consecutive NFC North championship on Sunday by virtue of Green Bay’s loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers late this afternoon.

With the Vikings sitting at 11-2 before their game against Carolina tonight and with Green Bay falling to 9-5 after the loss to Pittsburgh, the Packers will be unable to catch the Vikings in the NFC North standings with just 2 games remaining on the regular season schedule and the Vikings holding the tie-breaker.

The Vikings have now earned back-to-back division titles for the first time since the 1977-1978 seasons and they now have 3 division crowns since 2000.

For NFC North Division Champions merchandise, click here to visit the Vikings Locker Room store for a full selection.

For information on playoff tickets, click here.

Stay tuned to the vikings.com Blog and vikings.com all night and into tomorrow for more reaction, and coverage of the Vikings game in Charlotte against the Panthers.

Posted in All | 39 Comments »

39 Responses to “Packers Loss Gives Vikings NFC North Title”

1. By mdm on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

I have been waiting 35 years for the vikings to win a superbowl. After tonight’s performance, I am not waiting anymore. Face the truth, the vikings suck and they always will. They couldn’t win an important game if the other team didn’t even show up. DON’T WASTE ANY MORE OF YOUR TIME ON THESE LOSERS.

2. By Tro on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

What a bunch of no tackling, cant run the ball, cant block anyone and stupid frinken me thought this was a good team. The coach cant get anyone fired up for the game. I cant believe they gave him a longer contract. Phily will kill us and we cant even play with sub 500 teams. HORRIBLE THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED. Im done with them

3. By Tro on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

Im with you mdm Farve sucks

4. By Tro on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

We stopped running Peterson and gave the team to Farve, what a friken mistake

5. By whathappened? on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

Frankly, tonights game was embarrasing. Pretty much everything went wrong that could have. The Saints finally lose, and then we throw it away to a mediocre team with a young QB and a hurt running back. We couldn’t stop teh run or the pass. Our own running game never took off, we kept getting penalties, and our offensive line could not top the rush. Besides his own interception, Brett had a pretty good game, he just wasnt getting help. After losing 2 of our last three, it makes me wonder if we can beat the saints on the road. We cant beat carolina on the road

6. By Mike on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

You morons. Adrian was stuffed, no one got of their blocks on defense, and no one was able to get open and its Favres fault? The O-line got it handed to them. This team hasn’t shown up to play the last three weeks period. In a leauge of arm tackling and non-fundamental football, the Vikings are no exception. Professional athletes under perform and are over paid. After Favre retires I’m going to find something else to do. I suggest you guys do the same.

7. By Doug on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

Real disappointing performance by the Vikings – not the type of performance any team with realistic Super Bowl hopes will have during prime time! Brad Childress has allowed this to happen twice during the past three weeks and, instead of being the No. 1 seed, the Vikings are now in a must win situation just to hang on to the No. 2 seed with the Eagles coming on strong. No excuse with all the talent this team has to be embarrassed by the Cardinals and Panthers.

8. By PAVikesFan on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

OK, that was absolutely attrocious, embarras-sing…There were so many issues tonight it was pathetic…Quite frankly, and I know I’m writing this while steamed, but, we dont stand a chance come January, face it folks…After we lost vs. ARZ 2 weeks ago, it was concerning, but I wanted to see how we responded, and we did last week, BUT, for this to happen 2 out of the past 3 weeks is dreadful…

9. By PAVikesFan on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

EJ Henderson is sorely missed, Jasper Brinkley is a rookie and he plays like it, yes, he makes SOME tackles, but he bl-ew a coverage on the TD to Hoover and he missed quite a few tackles as well and he puts himself in bad position too often…Jared Allen and our defensive front did not show up, this has been like this for the past few weeks, ZERO PRESSURE!…Tyrell Johnson is one of the worst safeties in the league, Adrian Peterson, and I quote “This year, is the most over-rated RB in the league”-> That’s right, I wrote that on here last week and I got vilified for doing so…Can u hear me now?!->He’s averaging 3 yards a carry over his last 4 weeks…#4 is playing like he’s 40 years old

10. By PAVikesFan on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

A few other things-> where is the heart???? I look at how teams respond when they are down, like the Saints did on Saturday. We dont appear to have any, we get down and we fold our tents. Also, our coaches got out-coached in every phase…Darrell Bevell called a horrendous game, Julius Peppers mauled our entire o-line, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out to give the tackles help in pa-ss protection…They had a 3-man rush most of the night and still got pressure on us all game long…This is not good, this is not a wake-up call, this is reality, we are not that good folks…we are 11-3 but we could very well be 9-5 at this point…I cant tell u how infuriated I am, every year the same thing happens, it’s disgusting

11. By PAVikesFan on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

I’m not done ranting: Jared Allen, every time he goes against a decent tackle, gets shut down…he has 13.5 sacks on the year, yes, but about 7 of them have come against GB’s 3rd string tackles…We get 0 pressure up the gut from our DT’s and our blitz packages are horrible…Our secondary stinks, we have no playmakers on D…when do we ever force TO’s on defense???, never!…When we don’t create pressure we are mediocre, at best…Our offense looks like it has peaked, and all of a sudden our explosiveness has disappeared, I don’t know what has happened, but, we have sh-ot our load

12. By CrockettCA on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

I have been & will always be a Vikes Fan, I have taken the ribbing & jokes for over 30 years only to know that when it comes to the big dance we are at home crying in the bathroom. I am not sure if Brad is a true motivator, I think after the past 3 weeks we need somthing to kick. Perhaps a stimulating speach from Bud or Fran if they are willing to hang a sock next to the hearth for some inspiration. It seems we have dificulty on the road.To all of you BAND WAGON JUMPING CLOWNS:Go hitch your team to somebody else we don’t need ypu or appreceiate your B.S.Take a hike & JUMP as you usually do every season.

13. By Mike on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

I echoe everyones frustrations. But,…we’ve got professional athletes getting paid the big bucks. At this level with their position in the season they should have enough deep down inside to play 110% every play minus any motivational speaker. We’ve got guys fighting overseas for a lot less money in horrible conditions, and these guys can’t even get off a double team or stop a running back? Now that is what is frustrating to me. Makes me ill.

14. By Tro on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

Ive been a viking fan for over 30 years also but dont sit there and act like this coach should be a head coach. he cant motivate and the o-line cant open a hole to run in or pass block. K Williams isnt playing worth %% and Jared Allen is way over-rated. I hope they can dig down deep inside or its another wait till next year.

15. By PAVikesFan on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

And it’s not the Saints I am concerned with, how bout it’s the Eagles, who do this every year in December. It’s a tale of 2 teams going in reverse direction, they are peaking now with some serious momentum and we are playing our worst ball of the season, not the time for this to be happening…The Eagles are the team to beat, right now, in my opinion, in the NFC…You cant tell me otherwise, they have play-makers galore and they have real playmakers on defense as well, and their blitz packages are some of the best in football…we couldn’t beat them last year when they werent as good, what makes us think we can beat them this year…We couldnt beat ARZ, who can we beat???, Honestly, I think the Saints have peaked as well, they are in trouble also, ARZ and PHI and look for DAL as well…In a way, it’s a relief to not keep hearing how great #4 is and AP is, they get too much credit, particularly AP, who, really, is having a sub-par year, he’s way overrated, how many pas-ses did he drop tonight??…Now, Chris Johnson, he’s an all-around back, Oh yeah, I saw that Percy Harvin told some reporters that he has a bulging disc in his back, great news, he’s going for an MRI on Tuesday, that’s just great

16. By PurplePeopleEater on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

Alright everyone, I hope that your frustrations are simply getting the best of you. We had a horrible showing today, and we lost horribly. There were many factors that went into it, and I won’t start listing them because they will only get picked apart one at a time as if each individual one made the entire difference on our loss. We’re all sore and overly impatient for a Superbowl win. One or two horrible weeks in an otherwise magnificent season isn’t going to make that impossible. We just need to move forward and get behind our team now even moreso than we have been up to this point. The fans make a huge difference in many games, and can be that motivational support that a team needs when things are going less than perfect. We are still the best team in the division and have every opportunity yet to show that we are the best team in the league. We simply need to remember what made us great in the beginning of the year, and re-lite that fire.

17. By PAVikesFan on Dec 20, 2009 | Reply

And for crying out loud, I hope this shuts some of our uninformed, arrogant fans…Enough of “this team is going to the Super Bowl” and “we will crush the Saints”…enough, please…I’ve learned to keep my mouth shut through the years, b/c stuff like that always bites u in the behind…Championship teams dont play like we played tonight, bottom line………..It’s funny, b/c I rant and rave and I’m pis-sed, but, like Vikings fans, I live and d i e with them, through thick and thin…I’m used to this kind of stuff happening, but it never becomes easy to deal with, not when ur 2 division rivals have SB’s on their mantle’s, at least we are not the Lions, I guess.

18. By viks choke again on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

i’ve been watching the viks since i was 5 years old, over 40 years now, it seems like they always choke. the nfc title game in 1977 was the worse against Dallas. we had a 6 point lead and they get a 65 yard touchdown in the last seconds of the game. yes, there was some offence pass interfence on the play, but like vikings luck it wasn’t called. not sure why they gave chilly a extension already, he doesn’t have what it takes to win a big game,most likely lose the 1st playoof game. he doesn’t have the team ready to play and horrible prep. geeting sick of this year after year, sick of wasting my time and money and getting embarrassed on primetime on top of it. Brinley doesn’t have what it takes to be a starter, if we don’t find a middle linebacker outside the organization, forget this season, put a fork in the viks, were done

19. By fan on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

We abandon the run to easy….Bevell panics to fast…omg we didn’t get 10 yards on first down we must pass…….NOT. I remember the sounds of the game where he said “this is hard” and it looks like he thinks its hard. He is too much of buddies with Favre…2nd and 2 and we pass…right by our end zone and we pass (when you are supposed to run)…Bevell has F’ed up for at least 2 years now and he just can’t figure it out, time to move on.

20. By PAVikesFan on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

Agreed, he gives up on the run way too easily, don’t forget that he was GB’s OC before he came here when Favre was their QB…Running is all about patience, and that goes for AP too, he looks for the home run, and maybe, just maybe, he’s thinking in the back of his mind that if he doesn’t break a big one then they’ll go away from the run, thus causing him to be impatient…I would not give these guys off on Tuesday, as is customary, I would put these guys in pads and hammer them all week. That’s what Jimmy Johnson did when he was the coach of Dallas during their hay-days…These guys need some voice of leadership, and if no player is, then as a coach u must step in and take command…Are there any guys on this team that say enough is enough and that was unacceptable and we demand better of ourselves…Can we teach Tyrell Johnson to tackle better, who is our talent evaluator?-> Why would u let go of Darren Sharper, thinking Tyrell can fill his shoes, b/c, he’s kil-ling our defense right now, and losing EJ is HUGE, it showed tonight, u cant replace him. U know, some say, “you are only as strong as your weakest link”…if that’s the case then we are weak, for sure…We all said last year, all we need is a QB. Well, we got one this year, he’s played great so far but it still doesnt matter, b/c now our running game blo-ws and our o-line cant run block or pa ss block at times, and our defense loves to be inconsistent…I guess we need more tham that, something major has to happen to turn this around, we need a miracle of some sorts. For this to happen 2 out of our last 3 games is embarras-sing and completely unacceptable and obviously Chilly doesnt know his own team, he sounded so confident when Andrea Kramer asked if this was a trap game before the game and he said, “not at all”, asked if he was worried at all if his players would be ready, knowing they win the divison, he said “we’ll be ready” and “I’m not worried at all”->that right there shows me he is unaware of his team’s psyche

21. By emily on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

Why does it matter if they lost tonight honestly i feel like we should be sitting adrian and favre they obviously arent getting number one they already have a play off spot and already clinched their division why not rest the people we need the most in the playoffs.. as for the game it lacked an o line and the defense like gave up after the o line sucked so bad..

22. By PAVikesFan on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

We have to play them b/c if we start resting them u lose chemistry on offense, not to mention we could lose the 2 seed…Thing is, u have to keep playing ur guys the entire year…it never works when u start resting guys…I particularly remember IND in 2005..they were 13-0, got beat by SD, but they had the 1 seed locked…they played the first half of the next game and didnt play at all the foolowing week then a had a first round bye…so when they Pittsburgh in the divisional round they hadnt played a meaningful game in 4 weeks, counting their first round bye…their first 4 possessions they went 4 3and outs…After the game Peyton Manning said they were too rusty, that’s why u dont sit guys at the end of the year, I dont believe in it…2 years ago, NYG clinched a wildcard berth in week 16, they couldnt improve their seeding or lose their seeding the following week…they were playignthe 15-0 PATS. They could have rested their guys, instead, thye played the whole game, risking injury as is involved in any game, and what did they gain from that game that they lost?…They gained confidence and they gained momentum, b/c they officially knew that they could play with anybody, and, oh BTW, they just so happened to win the Super Bowl that year against those very same PATS

23. By purple08 on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

Waaaaahhh! Shut the F – up PA! You must have put 10 posts on here today you snivelling little whiner! AP is not the problem. As Tro said, we stopped giving AP the ball and made it Favre’s team. No MVP for Lord Favre, GOOD! AP is still the man… we are supposed to be a run first team. All you Favre lovers have helped to take away this teams true identity. I still believe in this team unlike many of you. Get bent!

24. By Mike on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

purple08- How do you expect to run AP with an O-line that couldnt run block or nearly pass block? You figure 3 and outs with the run would have been a good idea so you could keep the “itendity”? They couldnt even double team J. Peppers without getting driven into the QB. The entire O including AP got SHUT DOWN. There was nowhere to go with that football tonight.

25. By Favre Backer former Packer on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

The most inconsistent team in recent history. They beat a 9-3 team 30-10 and then lose to a 5-8 team and look like they dont even care. AP seems so over rated all of a sudden I can’t even begin to understand how they looked so good the first 12 games and now the look like they don’t belong in the playoffs, I feel like the beginning of the season was just some kind of vicious joke.

26. By HANK on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

THEY SET YOU UP EVERY YEAR FOR THE BIG DISAPPOINTMENT HOW CAN THEY DO IT EVERY YEAR WITH DIFFERENT COACHES AND PLAYERS THEY FIND A WAY THEY SHOULD HAVE DOMINATED THE PANTHERS INSTEAD THEY GOT DOMINATED.ALSO,I DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW THEY CAN BE ON THE FIELD BEFORE THE GAME WARMING UP AND NOT HAVE THE RIGHT CLEATS ON

27. By HANK on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

I WILL ALWAYS BE A VIKINGS FAN TO A FAULT EVEN IF THE TEAM I’M SUPPORTING DOESN;T SEEM TO CARE IF THEY WIN THE SUPER BOWL OR NOT……40 YEARS I’VE BEEN A FAN HOW CAN I STOP NOW IT’S BEEN A LIFETIME..LET’S HOPE THEY CAN WIN THE LAST 2 GAMES AGAINST THE BEARS AND GIANTS SO WE CAN FORGET ABOUT THIS DEBACKLE

28. By Roland A. Burke Jr. on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

The day a person whom I coach and pay tells me what he’s going to do instead of listening to me, as the coach. Would be benched so fast it would make his 40 year old head swim.

He stunk in game, and a monkey could probably of done better. I felt sorry for the rest of the team.

Coach I advise start looking hard for a backup Quarterback. Because from here on its downhill and I don’t mean it in a good way.

29. By PAVikesFan on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

‘purple08′, I’m pretty sure I’ve earned the right to feel this way, all of us do…How can u feel good about the way we played last night?, it was awful…And now we are hearing that Childress tried to take out #4 in the 3rd Qtr.?…what kind of coach is that??????!!!!!…that is utterly ridiculous, u dont take any QB out when ur winning…I dont get his logic on that one, I, for one, am getting sick of his antics, he doesn’t seem to have to what it takes to lead a team…And the thing is, Favre didnt come out, so it actually makes it worse for Childress b/c he didnt listen to his HC, what a joke the whole game and situation was.

30. By PAVikesFan on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

And I’m sorry, I like AP like everyone else, OK, not as much as some, but is he or isnt he the most overrated RB in the league???…Grant it our o-line has trouble blocking at times, but when there is holes, he looks to bounce evrything outside…Play-calling is attrocious. Why we insist on running stretch plays I wont figure out, we have some of the biggest offensive linemen and they are too slow too be out on the edges, play to ur strength, and that is ponding teams A gap and between the tackles and guards. And mix up the plays, for cryin out loud. Way too bland on offense, there’s no trickery or no disguise. Put guys in motion, run some fake end arounds with Percy Harvin, which they were doing earlier in the season, and which AP had some nice runs out of them. Get the defense to guess, who are they going to defend?, Harvin on the end-around,or AP…Crossing patterns, free these guys up, the Eagles are getting the ball into their playmakers hands in DeSean Jackson, it’s all baout scheming the other team, and right now we arent fooling a high school team

31. By vikesallday on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

wheres the loyaly guys come on we need ej and mckinnie to wake up. peterson has to start having good games to open up the pass for favre

32. By Go Packs Go! on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

Now I know the Vikings cannot win the big games, but you should stand by your team and not be a bandwagon fan, every team has bad games…..

Also you should be happy that you have Favre because he is way better then the alternative…. and lets be honest — You mostly got Favre to stick it to us Packer fans…. So mission accomplished – – this season…. BUT in 2 years the Packers will still have Rogers and youll be back to rotating bad quarterbacks…. haha

BTW: Im a packers fan first but will be rooting for Favre and the vikings every week and the playoffs (as long as they are not playing the packers)…. so good luck….. and after 2 weeks ago and last night you will need it….

33. By MDVIKING on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

Any chance I can ask a favor? When y’all finish falling off the bandwagon, can you send me your gear since you wont be wearing any of it anymore? 17 hats, 3 jersey’s and countless other Viking items in my house and I can’t get enough. Why? Because I’m a fan, and for good or bad, it’s important to support the team, otherwise you’re just a sports critic with no loyalty. No fan of #4? Me either, but I’m not going to write off the team due to 1 prima dona and some bad plays. They got beat, it happens, suck it up and move on. (Oh, and Packer’s fans posting on this site, thanks for the title, did your team book tee-times yet?)

34. By eric on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

MDVIKING calling Favre a prima dona??? If one person from the O-line had the heart that Favre had maybe AP could have more than 38 yds rushing and stop getting hit behind the line. Favre was hit play after play after play and got up over and over and kept at it. Thats the problem with the Vikings thats why they cant win championships or even big games. It takes heart and grit apperantly the Panthers had more of both last night.

35. By b-rad on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

all you so called viking fans they had a bad nite how do you expect farve to do any thing if he does not have time ? the o line didnt do its job and i dont think the vikes would be where there at without farve! and as far as AP the o line cant open any holes love them when they win hate and point the finger when they lose is some of you peoples way huh? if your a true fan just hope they make the right adjustments. the run opens up the pass. get AP going and farve can without a doubt make the throws. and bring harvin around the end use him like the gators did he will make plays. and the coaches should be a modavating factor. pound the ball on every play the D will start to open up and then burn them with the pass but hold on to the ball had a few drops last nite.

give them a chance if your truly a vikes fan

36. By BeeCharmer on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

Wow, you viking fans get angry. Just wait until Number 4 throws the game losing pick in Championship game.

37. By srg on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

I read these comments and then walked away, and now I’m back because it occurs to me that the overwhelming majority of the comments focused on “lack of heart”, “premature quitting” and “unprofessional performance”. The rest of the comments focus on Brett Favre’s under-performance.
    Brett Favre had an opportunity, when the going got tough, to ride out the storm on the bench, but instead elected to “lead” his team from the line of scrimmage where the quarterback belongs. Does anyone really beleive that Jackson would have turned the game around? No, the Vikings were not victorious with Favre behind center, but I beleive it’s a better example of “heart”, “professional performance” and “leadership” that this team needs if they are to be successful in the future. Brett Favre is only one man on an eleven-man offensive team, yet he is willing to take the abuse even at 40 years old, if that means there is a chance of victory. Perhaps if the other ten men had played with that spirit, the Vikings would have overcome what appears to be their biggest opponent; themselves. Good luck Vikings.

38. By Tro on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

It’s been a couple of days now since that very bad game, and I still LOVE the Vikes. I hope they bury the Bears and hammer the Giants. Were going to the play-offs so lets support our guys.

39. By VikingsDefenseFan on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Wow srg. Well spoken sir, that is as accurate as an analysis of a team can get. Agreed with you in full. Also, Vikings have got to get that rush/pass blocking down, Cardinals did the same thing to us as the Panthers did. These weren’t mere guesses on the defensive side of our opponents, they were in fact educated likelihoods. The obviousness of our offense in that area needs a swift kick in the ass.