Peterson, Taylor Expose Mismatches In Passing Game

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 15, 2009 – 9:51 am

The Vikings rededicated themselves to the running game in last week’s contest against Cincinnati, an effort that resulted in more rushing attempts (37) than passing attempts (30) for the first time in 3 weeks. And the effort ultimately resulted in a 30-10 win, too.

But 2 key elements to the Vikings running game – RBs Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor – were also factors in the passing attack on Sunday. The pair of RBs combined to register 5 receptions for 72 yards. Minnesota’s top 2 WRs on Sunday combined for just 10 more yards on 3 more catches.

Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress indicated on Monday that the key to Peterson and Taylor’s success in the passing game is matchups. On several of their receptions against the Bengals, QB Brett Favre delivered the ball to the RBs in a position where they could catch the ball on the run and sprint away from pursuing LBs.

“Well, we look at them as plus matchups,” Childress said of a RB lined up against a LB. “I am not going to tell you that a corner lined up on a running back extended in a set is a great matchup or a cornerback lined up on a tight end extended is a mismatch.

“I would tell you that a running back should in our estimation be able to out athlete a linebacker when they are in those one-on-ones.”

And Peterson and Taylor did just that on Sunday.

Peterson and Taylor had long receptions of 28 and 26 yards, respectively. Peterson’s long reception came on a 2nd and 20 after a pair of penalties had backed the Vikings up. Then, 3 plays after Peterson’s 28-yarder, Favre found Sidney Rice for a TD to go up 10-0.

Taylor’s long reception came on 3rd and 12 near midfield and was part of a series that saw Taylor touch the ball 4 times and gain 54 yards while also picking up two 3rd-down conversions. Peterson finished that drive off with a 1-yard TD plunge to increase the Vikings lead to 23-7.

“Anytime you can find those guys, sometimes those are the best matchups there are even though this is an up the field, intermediate to down low,” Childress explained. “You can see being able to dunk the football off. It’s a high percentage and it’s a way to get everybody involved and get them involved in mismatches.”

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Peterson, Taylor Expose Mismatches In Passing Game”

1. By rap99 on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

we shuold be doing this more often, high % play, keeps “D” off balance.

2. By ADRIAN WELCH on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

I THINK THAT WAS THE BEST THING THE VIKES HAVE DONE SINCE WE HAVE ONE OF THE GREATEST BACK FIELD TANDOMS IN THE NFL.THAT MAKES THE OTHER TEAMS HARD TO PREPARE FOR US.KEEP IT UP VIKES. THE BIGGEST FAN EVER.

3. By Austin Pulczinski on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

I think the only reason we lost against arizona and pittsburgh is because we didn’t run ADRIAN PETERSON.PUT TARVARIS JACKSON BACK IN.

4. By vikefan4eva on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Peterson is awesome I love the man I have his jersey, but sometimes he has a hard time finding his rythm. Thats when I think we should give it more to Taylor who could in my opinion be our secret weapon. I think we should also play both of them at the same time more often.

5. By Vikings1 on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Did anyone see how the 49er’s ran over the Cardinals last night. I don’t understand how Frank Gore could rush for over 160 yards and the best back AP, in my opinion, could rush for just 19 yards, what is wrong with this picture? I know that the OL is sort of beat up, but the rushing yards has been hard to come by for AP! In any event, I hope they can turn it around before the playoffs begin!!!!

6. By SkolVikings on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

I’m with a lot of people in that I really think CT needs to get a few more carries. For one, it changes the look up a bit. Secondly, with CT being a primary blocker, I think mixing it up would throw defenses off a bit and open the field more. Third, I know CT is nearly as talented a runner as AP, and he does seem to be finding more holes.

7. By rap99 on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

AUSTIN, put the crack pipe down, 08 is this you?

8. By moorevikes on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

the frackin guy is third in the league in rushing if on more person says he is not doing well this season i’m gonna snap and rap99 yeh i don’t know if it’s crack but he definatly needs to lay off the drugs really wanting t jack back in there he must not like winning must be a gb fan. oh yeh ap also has 14 tds he’s doing so horrible this year. did u guys ever stop to think that the reason ap isn’t leading the league is because he doesn’t have to do it all this year. we have a passing game now you jack holes be happy we’re 11-2 and thankful we don’t have any major injuries (other than ej of course) and the reason why the 49ers won on mon and we lost to the cards last week is the same reason the saying “any given sunday” comes from sometimes a team just comes to play

9. By 13thEA on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Rumors have started… Moss to Minnesota….
    Three years in a row with over 15 yards per catch avg.
    He’s still got it… even if he takes a break or two.

Vacation in Miami anyone?

10. By FumbleMEelmo on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

randy has an average of one fumble per year how could we not want this is beyond me

11. By purplehorn on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

I would put both Taylor and AP in together with no fullback. Swing Taylor to the flat and leave AP inside for the draw or off tackle with Berrian and Rice clearing out the corners on deep routes. Good luck strong and weak side linebackers-you can’t stop this. Numerous options off this play- including Shiancoe wide open deep middle.

12. By purplehorn on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Moss wants the ring. There isn’t much else that he hasn’t already done. He shuts down when he feels like he is getting disrespected- remember the I play when I want to play comment? I would still love to see Randy Moss back where he belongs. That McCombs decision burns me still.

13. By 13thEA on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

When Minnesota had Randy, he played nearly every offensive down. How many consecutive 20-40 yard sprints can we demand that he run full out?
    That would be similar to asking Favre to maintain a 100+ pass rating, or, similar to asking All Day to keep it over 100 please.

14. By vikingsfan1955 on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

even the best backs have bad days and ppl are wondering why ap doesn’t have as many yards and the answer is simple,brett favre.With favre we don’t have to get ap beat up and they can’t stop the run and pass.trust me a healty ap will be run down opponents throats in the playoffs and sb.

15. By moorevikes on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

just out of curiosity, where did the rumors come from cause i just googled it and nothing popped up. plus we already have 3 count them 3 deep threats (rice, harvin, berrian) and i know berrian hasn’t shown it this year but he still has the ability so please keep the rumors between u and the girls at work or school thank you. randy moss is nothing more than a spoiled brat, when he’s winning everything is great but when things aren’t going his way he gives up and pouts he’s perfect for billicheat

16. By Marty Malin on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

I think the reason we lost to the Cardinals is because of the way the Redskins lost to the Saints earlier that day.

Allow me to explain.

If they would have just lost like expected, it wouldn’t have affected our players for the Cardinals game.

But before that game, noone thought that the Redskins would win. I got all excited when I turned the game on late in the 4th quarter and found them 7 points ahead and driving. Not only that, but the announcer said for the entire game they were either ahead by up to 10 points, or tied.

Then they get to about the 5, and miss a chip shot field goal that would have iced the game, and given us home field advantage over the Saints.

The Redskins also had the ball first in overtime.

I was depressed the rest of the day.

And given the timing of the game, there was plenty of time for the Viking players to see it and end up in a similar mood going to the stadium.

Most of our team looked like they were deflated and just didn’t play crisply.

17. By jimbo92107 on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

I don’t see why the Vikings don’t use Taylor and Peterson in the same backfield. They should line up Taylor shallow left behind Favre, then Peterson deep right. This would play into both players’ strengths, as Chester is great running left, AP is great running right, and both can run draws, pass block or catch swings or screens to their side. You can play-action off it, or over-stack the line with a tight end for a sweep or a max protect pass. If the defense stacks up on AP’s side, you run screens and off tackles all day to Chester. Or AP fakes right and doubles back for a reverse hand-off…. So many possibilities!

18. By purple08 on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

I only use one handle rap. quit asking. i do like T-Jack but i am not for pulling Lord Favre. I just like to hear you freak out on a regular basis. it is entertaining.

19. By Favrewherever on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

I couldn’t agree more with the idea of putting Chester and AP or Percy and AP in the backfield at the same time. There are so many options that this opens up, and I think it would help keep the “tempo” of our offensive drives high.
    AP through the tackles up the gut is more often than not a momentum killer on drives, leading to third and longs or third and outs.
    Can those of us who want to see more of these guys in the backfield at the same time set up a meeting with Chilly and Bev to discuss further?