What Did The Win Do?

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 14, 2009 – 7:42 am

The Vikings bounced back from last week’s loss with a convincing 30-10 win against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday.

The win improved the Vikings to 11-2 on the season and maintained their 2-game lead over the Green Bay Packers in the NFC North. That 2-game lead is actually a 3-game lead because the Vikings hold the tie-breaker should both teams finish the regular season with identical records.

So what else did Sunday’s win do for the Vikings? Here’s a list…

– Gave the Vikings their 2nd-consecutive postseason berth.
— Gave the Vikings their most regular season wins in a season since 2000, when the team finished 11-5.
— Gave the team its 9th consecutive regular season home victory, dating back to the 2008 finale against the N.Y. Giants.
— Gave the Vikings their 20th victory in the last 25 regular season games, dating back to 2008. The Vikings are 19-5 in the last 24 games.
— Improved the Vikings record at Mall of America Field to 7-0 in 2009.
— Improved the Vikings record against the AFC to 3-1 this season.
— Improved the Vikings all-time record against the Bengals to 6-5 and 5-0 at home.

8 Responses to “What Did The Win Do?”

1. By CajunViking on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

Good win for the team. It pretty much was a hard fought TEAM win in all facets of the game. Vikes finally got back to the balanced attack that had been lacking the last few weeks. We stuck with the run w/ AP & Chester pounding the ball on a very good run defense. One more win and we seal the division. Unfortunately I think we’re stuck with the number two seed behind the Saints, but they’ve been struggling and I don’t think they will go far in the playoffs. If we stick w/ our balanced offense I think the Super Bowl is a good possibility for us. GO VIKES!!!

2. By dmac32 on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

CajunVike,
    I assume that you’re from Louisiana as well. Are yu as tired as I am listening to this bravado from the Saints fans. I applaud them for their great season that they’re having so far, but they look far from invincible. If we get to play them, we WILL be able to run the ball, and they WON’T be able to run it. They’ve had their struggles in recent weeks with lesser run defenses. I’m actually more afraid of the Eagles. They knocked us out last year, and they know what it takes to reach the big game. The real plus to playing them is that they are a relatively young team.

3. By PGABilly on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

I also think the Eagles are more of a problem than the Saints. Philly is a lot like the Vikes on defense and offense, steady with the talent to jump up and get ya on any snap.FUN FOOTBALL

4. By Vikings1 on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

I also agree with you both about the Eagles, they are extremely dangerous to us especially because they seem to have out number not only in the playoffs but also in the regular season, however, I am really happy to see AW back, go VIKINGS!!!!

5. By Fogman on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

Any team that MAKES the playoffs is a dangerous team. If not they would not be in the playoffs. The Vikes are dangerous too and I’ll bet there are not too many teams lining up to play them after a bye if that is achieved which appears now most likely barring a total collapse. Do not take Carolina and Chicago lightly. They want to be spoilers. Both aren’t going anywhere but home and will have nothing to lose…..these 2 games might be the toughest games in the second half of the season. Take care of business.

6. By VikingsDefenseFan on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

Agreed Fogman. Also to be honest, at first it was a heart string puller to lose to the Cardinals.. However now I’m thinking it was a Loss that the Vikings needed. A slice of humble pie before these other games that want to upset the Vikes is exactly what will keep solid heads squarely on our players’ shoulders. EYE ON THE PRIZE VIKINGS! XLIV!!!!

7. By vikingsfan1955 on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

I don’t take any team lightly and I do not fear the eagles like I did last yr.Their d isn’t as tough and the running game isn’t as good.We are better on both sides of the ball this yr and favre is do just what we needed.When it comes to the saints I don’t worry there either because the last 3 games they have been tested but medicore teams and barely escaped.I feel we are the team to beat and the win against the bengals showed we are real.Look the bengals have offense and we shut them down and ap has his grove back so I’m more positive than ever and the loss to the cards was only a wake up to let us know not to get to comfortable andour guys bounced back well.

8. By rap99 on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

FOG, right on! if we play our game V carolina/chicago we will be set. worry about saints if we face them, they can be beat!