Childress: Home Crowd Helps “Immeasurably”

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 14, 2009 – 3:17 pm

Crowd noise at Mall of America Field at the HHH Metrodome is known for being among the toughest to deal with in the NFL. Often times during TV broadcasts of Vikings home games, the production crew will show the crowd noise being measured in decibels.

The home crowd at Sunday’s Vikings game against the Bengals was up to its usual antics, especially when the visiting Bengals were at work on offense. In the 1st quarter alone, the Bengals had 3 false start infractions, 2 of which came on 3rd downs.

While the noise inside Mall of America Field can be measured with a scientific instrument, Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress said on Monday that the effect of the crowd noise is not measurable.

“Particularly on our third downs,” Childress said when asked to comment on Sunday’s home crowd and the noise they produced. “That helps our guys immeasurably. It was a little bit quiet when our guys were on offense, which is the way you want it.

“But as long as they’ll elevate when the defense is on the field and raise cane, that’s why you’re playing for that home-field advantage (in the playoffs).”

The Vikings will enjoy their home crowd one more time in the regular season when they host the NY Giants in Week 17. But if the Vikings keep winning they will position themselves to host at least one postseason game and let their home fans cause havoc for yet another visiting foe.

14 Responses to “Childress: Home Crowd Helps “Immeasurably””

1. By vikefan4eva on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

Man I wish I lived close by I would love to go cheer on my Vikings! Oh well I guess the living room will have to do.

2. By Viking Fan from Afar (West) on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

Raise cain on defense. Cemetery quiet when the team is on offense.

3. By markofthebeasttruth on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

Having the heavy hitting Mr. Winfield sure made the defense hit on all cylinders!
    Grrreat to have him back!

4. By SDVikingFan on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

Loved being part of the noise level at this game!!! Great to have Winfield back and cheered loudly when I heard his name. The sound level shocked my 8 year old son and he was amazed at how loud the stadium was…a lot different than on TV.

5. By Popper on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Would love to be one of those noisy fans at the Metrodome to cheer on (my hero) Brett Favre and the Vikings. Another wiery traveler from Combined Locks, WI. Guess I’ll also have to stay home and support team purple from here and all the way to the Super Bowl. GO VIKINGS!!!!!

6. By ibleedpurple on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

I have been a VIKING fan for forty of my forty-five years of life. However, I find myself a little embarassed to have to ask this question. I would like for someone to tell me what “S K O L” VIKINGS is all about. what does it mean? thanks for your help. GO VIKES!!!!!

7. By ibleedpurple on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

omg!!! I can’t believe I didn’t know the answer to that. I truely am embaressed now!!!

8. By Canadian Viking on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

i just found out myself what SKOL VIKINGS was, I had to google it. lol

9. By VikingsDefenseFan on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Skol means a drinking toast. Lore has it that some ancient Vikings actually drank from the skulls of their slain enemies after battles.

10. By PurplePeopleEater on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

I believe that the drinking from skulls is nothing but twisted mythology. Look into it a little deeper. I think the words are just coicncidentally similar.

11. By vikingsfan1955 on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

as a fan for 30yrs I also wondered what it means so don’t be embarrased..What a difference a yr makes.Can u remember how hard it was for the vikings to sell out the playoff game,now that was embarrassing.Bet we won’t have that problem this yr.The noise this yr has to be killer.I like in toledo and wish I could afford a ticket.To all of u that can go to the games give them heck and keep it loud.

12. By vikingsfan1955 on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

go vikes

13. By PurplePeoplePride on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

I’ve been a lifelong fan since Fran the Man tore up the snow and I had a snotty nose. Ebay got me to my first game in the nosebleeds 7 years ago where my Dad couldn’t do it in the 70’s. Sell the Harley, get a 2nd morgage, or get a 2nd job at McDonald’s…but by all means…get to the Dome and be a part of the team!

It is AMAZING!!!! There’s NO excuse not too!

14. By HANK on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

GOING TO THE GAME AGAINST THE NY GIANTS…CAN’T WAIT TO BE IN THE STADIUM WITH THAT ATMOSPHERE