Vikings Step Out Of Character In Loss

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 7, 2009 – 5:20 pm

For most of this season we’ve spent all day Monday and Tuesday following Sunday games rehashing what took place in yet another Vikings victory. But for just the 2nd time in 13 weeks (including the bye week), the Vikings showed up to Winter Park on a Monday coming off a loss.

As a result, the rehashing isn’t as fun. And when you add in the heart-breaking leg injury suffered by LB E.J. Henderson, the motivation to look back dwindles even more.

Fortunately, Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress did a nice job taking a look back at Sunday night’s loss during his regular day-after-the-game press conference with reporters at Winter Park. As a result, we’ll examine what he said and we’ll also take a look at just a few more developments from the loss and then we’ll quickly turn the page to next week’s game instead of spending another day talking about last week’s loss.

“Just as far as I was concerned, it was really a complete step out of character for our football team,” Childress said. “I would tell you that whether you listed offense, defense, special teams (first). Whether you want to talk about turnovers, big plays against, big plays first, turnovers next, lack of explosives (plays) on our part, explosives on their part, we haven’t seen that. That was disappointing.”

Childress is correct in that Arizona out-dueled the Vikings in all of those facets of the game, and also in many others. The Cardinals were better in the return game, rushed the passer better, protected the passer better and, as Childress mentioned immediately after the game, had the “it” factor.

“There was a relentlessness by them and a desperate side to them that I didn’t see from us,” Childress explained. “That is very difficult to start up once you are in the fray.

“I thought that they did a great job and they took it to us in all three phases of that. That is something that in the long run I am accountable for, and part of the accountability part is identifying it and having everybody own it, coaches players, players coaches, and then learn from it going forward. I have no reason to believe that our group won’t do that and move forward.”

A few other issues Childress addressed on Monday…

– Henderson had surgery on his leg last night and stayed overnight in the intensive care unit at a Phoenix hospital. Childress said he wasn’t aware of specifics pertaining to why he was in an intensive care unit compared to a regular room or how long of a recovery process his LB would have, but he did say that Henderson is in “good spirits” and in “good shape” and that he’ll likely return to Minnesota sometime either in the middle of this week or late this week.

– Rookie LB Jasper Brinkley will be tabbed to step in for Henderson initially, Childress acknowledged. Brinkley had a fine training camp and Childress said he thought the University of South Carolina product was one of the hardest hitters coming out of college during last April’s draft. Childress said Brinkley will be “just fine” and also suggested the team will take a look at other players who might be available to add depth to the LB corps.

As for Brinkley, he’s looking forward to the opportunity to play and prove to his teammates that he belongs.

“I’m definitely comfortable with the scheme,” Brinkley told reporters today in the locker room. “In training camp it took a little adjustment, coming from another defense. From training camp to now, though, it’s all settled in with me.

I’m still praying for E.J. and I know he’s going to call me because we’re very close; he’s my mentor. I know he’s going to be pulling for me. I’m going to go out there and play hard and not let another person out-work me. I’ll prepare well.”

– DT Kevin Williams was asked what jumped out at him as he watched film from Sunday night’s loss to the Cardinals: “We messed up a few things. If you look at it, it looks like they just beat us up and down the field, but some of the stuff was on us being out of position. We gave them yards and plays. It’s stuff that’s correctable; it’s easily correctable. We saw that today and we’ll fix it this week.”

30 Responses to “Vikings Step Out Of Character In Loss”

1. By Viking Fan from Afar (West) on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

I figured out the audio problem with the press conferences. You can hear the reporter talking if you listen with headphones, but not if you listen with speakers.

2. By Tony Blari on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

This may seem crazy but I always thought that the energy of any sports team is dictated by the position of the sun in the sky. Look at our bodies as being like a living battery and the sun as being our charge, the higher the sun is in the sky, the higher our energy charge, and so here we are in december, and the sun is reaching it’s lowest point here in Minnesota and so is the energy of each of the vikings players and so we head down to Arizona where the sun is at a higher point and the play of the Cards who are charged by the extra energy from the sun and the result is that we get our butts kicked by a team with higher energy.

It’s really that simple, what the Vikes need to do is spend extra time in tanning beds or booths and or take extra doses of vitamin D3.

3. By patrick thomas on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Hey we were going to lose another game… I thought this would be it. Have chester run more and get antoine back.. we will be fine. We are 10-2 and a poor game happens… no team or person is perfect. Prayers. To ej……

4. By Mitch Rosa on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Losses happen they ar unfortunate but you guys need to shake it off and get back on the Superbowl road. Here’s to next week.

P.S. Brad, you might want to look into that whole Jimmy Clausen thing because, no offense Brett, the present quarterback may very well leave after this year. But no one really knows. Heal fast E.J. and get on the sidelines to cheer your team on.

5. By Stu on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

You guys in the office missed it on the Arizona playing field scouting report.There were a lot more Vikings slipping and sliding than Cardinals. No doubt leading to some of the injuries. Never take sure footing or the lack thereof lightly. You boys know this! Without a good connection with the ground you can’t cut, you have less power and you become a slower, more accessable target.

6. By FAVREXCELS on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

D.B. OR Z.T.

7. By Bleeding Purple in Hollywood, Calif. on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

I left the Sunset Strip, where I work, and rushed home to watch the recorded Vike-Card game. I was tired from working 14 hours, but didn’t care! I’ve loved the Vikings since I was conceived on a cold winters morning in southern Minnesota.
    After rewinding and replaying EJ’s injury about 8 or 9 times, I just wanted the guys to hit the locker room and get home to regroup. Something wasn’t there..not sure what. Maybe Jared Allen put a woopie cushion under Childres’s ass before the game and threw everyone off? I don’t know. But, I DO know that the Vikings will bounce back for the weeks to come and bring it for the playoofs and on into the big game. I don;t mind having a former Packer as a QB – I see it as MN/WI unity..so go Vikings and thank you to all of the website staff for everything you do – I check the site everyday. And when you come to Los Angeles, hit me up. I’ll be at The Roxy.

Dann

8. By purple08 on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Tony Blari you are hilarious! Nice post Dann! Drinks at the Roxy!

9. By purple08 on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Nobody dissing Lord Favre? I guess his s hit don’t stink! Must be his golden underwear.

10. By Jason W on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Patrick I agree with you 100%. We were bound to lose another game. I am glad it happened now instead of the play-offs. We deserve a bad game after 11 good ones. We learn from it and move on. That being said once we get Winfield back(which I agree not playing him until fully healthy). EJ my thoughts and prayers are with you. True leader on Defense!

11. By Patrick on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

Just a quick thought, have the vikings tried lining Adrian closer to the line of scrimmage? He is six yards deep; i would like to see them move him closer; kind of like pitt did in the 70’s with Tony Dorsett.

Patrick

12. By Jason W on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

I think they should move Allen around on the ends as well. Give the other team a few different looks and maybe have him go against a weaker player..just a thought

13. By FAVREXCELS on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

I”M IN VEGAS RIGHT NOW AND I MET A VIKING FAN WEARING A VIKINGS HAT AND I TOLD HIM IT HURTS HE SAID I KNOW IT HURTS BUT IT JUST TWO GAMES AND WE WILL MEET UP WITH THE SAINTS AND BEAT THEM AND TAKE N THE COLT AND I SAID YEAH WE WILL AND HE SAID FAVRE SHOULD OF HAVE THORW BOMBS TO RICE MORE AND I SAID AND BERRIAN NICE GO PURPLE NATION….

14. By blacknblue on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

lol purple08 think this was a team stinkerooo…you go on nfl.com team vs.team boards? I had some interesting things to say about favre to some real GB favre haters that hit a nerve big time. It didn’t take much. Basicaly asked why they hated him so much and got novels….and some cusses. Had good comebacks that silenced them about the “silver fox”. I just hope nobody out thinks this game. Let’s concentrate on keeping ochopinko out ofthe endzone, and the rest of them as well. Front line needs to open up some holes for AP a bit more. Notice there were no throws over 15 yards or screen plays? Harvin is getting some respect returning kicks….they don’t kick to him at all.

15. By wdnemesis on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

well you got to get your offense straight before you will see a Superbowl. I obviously think we were outplayed and with us using Peterson like we did caused us more harm than good. We were too predictable. I have seen the injury’s pile like nothing before in this game against the cardinals. Maybe you should watch the last game and figure out how to correct our mistakes before the playoffs. I still believe we got a chance at the Superbowl, but we defiantly still need to play each team as the were the champs we were trying to beat. A loss is a loss, but its a loss we can learn from.

16. By steven on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

having a lose helps you learn where your weakeness are so you cna fix them that way in the Sb you wont have the other team use them weakenesses you didnt know about

17. By tradjety on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

I really hope to see news about Vikings making a Derrick Brooks signing today … if EJ was a leader on defense then we need a leader to replace him and Brooks is that …. we are a good team and have a shot so we can not afford to keep plugging in rookies ( Jasper Brinkley ) and special teams players (Benny Sapp / Karl Paymah) now if Brinkley is a stud well it doesnt hurt having the future hall of famer mentoring him for the playoffs but if he needs more time well at least we are prepared … DERRICK BROOKS coach PLEASE !!!!

18. By tradjety on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

Derrick Brooks

19. By Radzinwisconsin on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

Horrible game by several players i thought. Jared Allen for starters really has not done anything the past month. I knew the secondary would sooner then later get back to being toasted atleast once on each drive and really did. Is Ben Leber on the IR or what? I know he isnt but sure seems like it. Tyrell Johnson yes bud im back to you, why is it you make tackles like a girl by using your shoulder only? Dude use your arms and legs to get the guy down. Jim Kliensasser dude whatever happened to you being open down the middle for a big gain of atleast 25? my bad your under utilized in Bevells scheme. Was Greg Lewis the cat who caught the game winner vs. the 49ers released? I know he wasnt but my lord Bobby Wade made a couple plays either catching a pass or by blocking downfield for Peterson atleast once a game. And here is the kicker of everything that went wrong sunday night and that is Ryan Cook is still getting a check from this organization.

20. By Say Go Vikings Go Vikings Go on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

Why didn’t the vikings bench Favre at midway 3rd quarter and put in Tavaris Jackson? I’m a huge Favre fan but he wasn’t playing well. He looked like Jay Cutler Sunday night. Something must’ve been wrong. Please comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. By Say Go Vikings Go Vikings Go on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

One more thing. LET’S GET SOME REAL SECONDARY. Karl paymah is awful. He has good coverage but he never makes a play and benny sapp is too little to go against players like Larry Fitzgerald

22. By bryanescobar on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

My number #1 worry is our sencodary..jarred allen cannot be our only threat on passing…come on u think thats gonna work against any of these increadible and record breaking quarterback..”KEY PLAYER” let go Darren sharper if we still had this guy we would be undefeated.another “KEY PLAY CALLING” AP
    u got a guy that is compared to the greatest running back ever and u don’t run him like u should and on top of that Chester Taylor is great too ..i think u should key in on them for the remainder of the season cuz all ur doing is wearing down favre..we got the most all around threats in offense in the NFL its just balacing them right and taking advantage of teams weakness im sure they can’t cover rice,harvin,berrian,shanco and stop AP at same time..MAYBE PICK UP A “FAST” CB OR FS. .Please follow up with would love comments or maybe i missed something

23. By bryanescobar on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

im sorry forgot one thing…”Say Go Vikings Go Vikings Go”
    bring in tavaris like eagle have added vick.his passing isn’t that bad and he is fast.
    that can trow off an deffense .and throw percy in wildcat a little more ..i heard he can QB pretty good to..so wouldn’t be a bad idea..we are being basic a little more diversity and a big improvement from our sencondary and it’s a wrap..i will litirely buy my superbowl ticket now if they can just key on these things

24. By farkings on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

4 wides & ap in backfield

25. By Adrian on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

I am having a hard time understanding what happened to the bread and butter for this team which is the running game. All day should always be your focal point you control the run game and everything will follow like play action. This game plan of always throwing the ball will have a negative effect especially when you hit the playoffs and face teams with alot better personal then the Arizona Cardinals. You look at all the teams that have an amazing passing game and iI have yet to see win a Superbowl aka just like last year against the Pittsburg. Get your running game going, show the league why AP is as dangerous as we know he is and Farve will have an easier time managing the game and picking oppurtunities to throw the ball down feild.

26. By Derek on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

Come on boy’s this weeks game against the Bengals (9-3), will test you. Coming off a loss to the Cardinals (8-4). Lets see how we respond against a even better team. Go Vikings! Win it big! 35-13!

27. By farkings on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

Running on Cin. will be tough without some imagination.

28. By blacknblue on Dec 10, 2009 | Reply

The running game will be put on the back burner as long as favre does well. Why do you think AP has fewer carries? It’s the favre show right now. With T-jack you had to run more. AP has had 2 great seasons and now teams have figured out how to play him. Granted 1000+ right now is great but expect to see fewer 100+ yard games from him unless they change the playbook a bit…..GL with that.

29. By vikescot on Dec 10, 2009 | Reply

******* Well is it 2008 all over again w/ Favre’s arm ???? I t was about this time last year when his arm blew up !!!!!! I was really surprised they gave up the AD run game or even using Chester or Percy on some miss direction plays like quick slant or even a fake reverse something to spread their defense out!!!!!!! I am a bit worried that Bevel/Childress = C2= Cheesehead connection could not respond to the play of Cards offense and defense as they are not that great!!!!! They are pretty much the same team we drilled last year w/ Tavaris at the helm and that gave us mobility in QB I know Brett is not the fastest guy but role him out a bit and throw w/ flow…..If we can not adapt to a fair teams play better than we did against Cards , “we ain’t goin no where in the play offs” !!!!! Sorry to see E J go down we will miss him in our DEF…This team needs to get tough and show some urgency in a game like Arizona…I saw absolutely no urgency by coaches or players even at mid pt of 3rd quarter !!!!!! Mystifying

2. Jan 17, 2010: Vikings Step Out Of Character In Loss – Vikings Blog