Somber Vikings Return To Winter Park

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 7, 2009 – 10:54 am

The mood around the Vikings is somber Monday morning and the reason goes far beyond their disappointing 30-17 to the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday night.

LB E.J. Henderson was seriously injured during the game, fracturing his femur in a collision with teammate Jamarca Sanford as he chased Cardinals RB Tim Hightower.

This NFL.com account describes the circumstances and immediate aftermath of the injury.

Henderson is a team captain and is looked upon not only as a standout defensive player but also as an emotional rock both on and off the field and that’s why his loss will stick with the team for longer than usual.

It’s no problem going back to work after a loss, especially when the loss still leaves you at 10-2 and in prime position for a 1st-round bye in the playoffs. But the seriousness of Henderson’s injury is another animal and it will be up to the other leaders and veterans on this team – and there is a locker room full of them – to get the team to move on and concentrate on what’s ahead.

As for Henderson, he spent the night in Arizona and underwent surgery. His brother, Erin, who was inactive for the game, stayed with him, as did a member of the Vikings athletic training staff.

We’ll have more updates on Henderson’s status as they become available so stay tuned to vikings.com and the vikings.com Blog for those.

Tags:

53 Responses to “Somber Vikings Return To Winter Park”

1. By James on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Hang in there E.J.
    your one tough Viking and i believe the team will rally around you and step up there game!! E.J your one heck of a great player and even a better person God bless and have a speedy recovery!! James

2. By hank on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

i hope the rest of the team learned a lesson from this game to always be prepared and not take a week off as far as ej i hope he has a afull and speedy recovery

3. By Randy on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Mr. Henderson: You are going to have a long and difficult recovery. I too am going through a tough period in my life. I will draw on your strength to get through this and I ask you to draw upon mine. Remember, as my mother always said “it is never so bad that somebocy doen’t have it worse.”

4. By FAVREMINISCE on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

LET”S WIN THIS S.B. 4 “EJ” GROW YOU GOETEE BRETT FAVRE AND PLAY YOUR HEART OUT P_U_R_P_L_E _J_E_S_U_S 2_8

5. By FAVREMINISCE on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

W_W_A_E

6. By Purpleguy on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

My prayers are with you EJ. Skol Vikings!

7. By tradjety on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Childress please sign a veteran LB … Derrick Brooks … this team is 2 close to a championship to keep plugging in rookies and special team players into the starting line up take a lesson from the saints who really want to win they were and still are undefeated yet they signed 2 former pro bowl corners within the last month … go get Derrick Brooks who may be a step slower but would no doubt help that defense in more ways than just a starter aka pro bowls / super bowls / has always been the leader of a great defense …. PLEEEASE no dontarrious thomas or whoever that other guy was you got last time henderson got hurt

8. By tradjety on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

DERRICK BROOKS

9. By Viking Fan from Afar (West) on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

We all have to come together and support the Vikings at this time.

Here is a quick list of players that are available, if necessary:

Dontarrious Thomas (4 games in 2008, only 1 tackle)

Charles Gordon (broken leg ended his solid 2008 season)

Tail end of great careers: Derrick Brooks, Zach Thomas

Not available: David Herron (Chiefs), Napolean Harris (Raiders), Marcus McCauley (Buccaneers)

10. By David on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

E.J. I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy & complete recovery. Come on VIKES, buckle down & get the job done.

11. By purplehorn on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

The Vikings got beat soundly last night, but I want to agree with one thing I did notice that I think had something to do with the loss. The Vikings may not have had the right cleats on and the Cardinals did. I noticed the slipping and sliding early but didn’t realize how bad it was until the end of the game when Warner got planted and stood up soaking wet. Think I’m making excuses? The Cardinals, if they win out and we win out, likely will come to our house in the playoffs. We don’t soak our field prior to a game. The loss was bad, but losing our Captain on defense is all that really matters. Time for Jasper Brinkley to step up and ” HIT SOMEBODY “. Rest and heal E.J.

12. By tradjety on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

gotta go with brooks or zthomas … at least call them and or bring them in for a workout … no time for rookies or special team players the time is now favre and the fans need a championship

13. By Sherry Stanley on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Who is the idiot making the offensive play calls???!!! Sure, you want AP to be the star, but let Brett do his thing and get the score up before you send AP up the middle for his wasted-time no-gain plays!!! Don’t put Brett in a hole first and always expect him to pull you out!!!

14. By Don on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Good luck EJ. Hope all goes well with recovery.

What can you say about Sunday night? We really got whooped. Need much better preparation and hustle against the Bengals.

15. By FAVREMINISCE on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

CONCUR D.BROOKS OR Z.THOMAS I WILL HAVE.

16. By tradjety on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

offense was off but thats when the D needs to step up and if our secondary specifically the safeties could tackle and make any plays AP would have had more / better oppurtunities Jared Allen cant be the only playmaker on defense and safeties are supposed to make plays and tackle but OURs dont and of the 2 I would say TJ look a new tear a differant side of the ball but still a TJ is killing us … tyrell johnson and tarvaris jackson cut them both today please

17. By frank romano on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

E.J God bless you you will recover and be back again the team will rally down the strech please Coach Childress go get Derrik Brooks he will help with defences calls go Vikes

18. By Lewis Strong on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Tragedy both on the field and off the field.

Sad to see the team played so hard but come up a little short in the loss against the Arizona Cardinals. The vikings gave it 100% effort last night.

I didn’t realize that EJ Henderson, was injured until this afternoon. My thoughts and prayers are for E.J. Henderson himself and his family. In the event that EJ is unable to return to the football gridiron, I thank him for his hard dedicated work as starting middle linebacker for the Minnesota vikings. EJ your “one heck of a guy” and pray for a successful return to the football field.

May success come following the surgery and may god grant you a speedy recovery and strength from the heavens. As a nurse, I to share your tears of pain and sadness.
    god bless you,
    Lewis Minnesota viking fan forever.

19. By Keith on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

i am jsut a fan but it looks like AP is starting too deep in the backfield,the o line is having to hold their blocks too long.Chester seems to hit the hole quicker than AP right now.AP needs to hit the hole than make a move.just a fans point of view.
    Best of luck to EJ.Wish you a speedy recovery.

20. By mike smith on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Don”t worry vikes! A loss is a learning experience, we lost to both of last years superbowl teams….and that’s what we’re hunting for…FARVE don’t let december get to you man! you’re the man of steel! suck it up, and bring us to the promised lands! E.J. my prayers go out to a healthy and speedy recovery…I’m from new england, but the vikings were my high school team, so i’ve been with the vikes through some tough times…my kids have been converted to vikings fans this year, and e.j. , u are my youngests favorite! GET WELL! this loss is nothing, shake it off, and get this for e.j. !

21. By CA Norwegian on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

EJ may you have peace and healing. We will have Winfield and our turf if there is a next time around. The flag-football style tackling is scarier than Favre throwing picks. Did our D hold them to FG’s down the stretch? The Cards can put together good games. Next time I hope we have a better game plan. I’d like to see a wildcat or something trick with T-jack, if the other D is suffing us, so Favre can consult the booth and coaches to find a better way than into coverage picks.

22. By David Drobena on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

I loved the Vikings so long, I’ve waited since the 70′s to see the purple pride back. The team needs to make the move Derrick Brooks the Vikings can use your service. Vikings front office you have the resorces so pull the trigger. you can’t wait until its to late. It’s now make the move……..Viking Dave

23. By tONY PULLMAN on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Future teams are going to go after the soft middle now the EJ is gone. Hope its not a career ending situation for him.

24. By FAVREMINISCE on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

LETS ALL DO THIS 4 EJ BEAT THE SUPERBOWL GO FAVRE & COMPANY P.S.THE PATS LOST AND STEELERS COLTS ARE NEXT IN MIAMI

25. By FAVREMINISCE on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

& THE SAINTS IN PLAYOFFS….

26. By FAVREMINISCE on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

PERSUE DERRICK BROOKS ZACK THOMAS OR ELSE DOOM.

27. By FAVREMINISCE on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

PERSUE DERRICK BROOKS OR ZACK THOMAS

28. By FAVREMINISCE on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

RIGHT NOW CHILL.

29. By Greg Tester on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Being a Viking fan as long as I have, Ive seen everything with this team and no matter the team over the years it seems you can tell exactly how we are going to lose and when..Heartrenching! I was really hoping that having a hall of fame QB would turn the corner,and maybe it will. Watching that game last night gave me a chill..A bad one.I cant explain why we dont have that killer attitude consistantly.Always having great players in certain positions ,but NEVER putting it all together.Good team..Never Great! 09 Vikings I challenge you! Take a look in the mirror! Dig deep inside you. Every game as if it was an elimination game! Backs up against the wall..Thats the way ALL your games should be played. Pretend the rest of the year all teams are the Packers.You seem to play perfect against them! Find that motivation! Whatever that might be.. LETS GO! This is our Year! Lets make this Cincy game the statement game that we will not look back! We will WIN! God Bless EJ and Stay healthy men on our journy to being Champions finally!

30. By Kevin on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Lifelong Packer fan, here – just thought I’d check out the talk from the ‘other’ side. Terrible injury for Henderson – hope the young man can make a full recovery. Plain and simple explanation of last nights game was provided by Brett himself – ‘they outplayed us’. He’s never been one to mince words, even in his long career in Green Bay. The guy is flat-out one of the best to ever play the game – period. However, what you saw last night re INTs is indicative of his play the last few years when things start to ‘break down’ as a result of poor blocking, superior pass rush, etc. He’ll be fine and you’ll go far in the playoffs, possibly win it all – the difference maker for your team this year is/will be the WR core (and TE) – though, much like McCarthy in GB, I don’t have a lot of confidence in Childress’ game management. As is the case with any/every NFL team, injuries have a way of changing things – whether or not Childress can fill the gaps that injuries have opened on the team remains to be seen. Still befuddles me that AP doesn’t get more carries per game…

31. By tradjety on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

yes i am loving the d brooks talk it is absolutely the right move and i hope whoever is in the presser with childress today has read this and brings it up please get the word out we want another leader on defense …

32. By jane on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Hang in there!!!! I suffered a Tibial Plateau Fracture at 46…you can handle this. Do what your Physical Therapists say…STAY TOUGH…and you’ll be back! For now…concentrate on healing and take those pain meds…you’ll need them! Oh and start Vitamin D right away!!!!

33. By Tim Borland on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” Martin Luther King. Have a speedy recovery E.J. The Vikings need to decide as a TEAM if this is their year or not. E.J. gave his all every play. Maybe it is time for some others to step up as well?

34. By farkings on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

alot of teams would love to be 10-2; The short pass to ap was there favre didnt throw it to him, unusual of favre also on 3rd & short favre went long WHY?

35. By Boydog on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

The vikings were behind deep, something they haven’t dealt with this season. I know brett, and everytime his team is in deep he tries to make plays out of nothing and thats when the interceptions come. We haven’t been in deep at all this season and thats why he only had 3 ints coming into the game. The cardinals tried to confuse him, but i feel that he wasn’t as confused as he was trying to make a play when we were behind. The pressure was on Favre to try to bring the team back from a large deficit…and as the statistics show…Favre’s comeback wins have never been from more then 14 points behind in the 4th quarter….and the Vikings were down 20. Although, we shouldn’t have been that far behind anyway. There were many pass interference no-calls that should have been called to keep some of the vikings drives alive. There was a no-call on an ovbious faceguarding, and an early hit (about a second before the ball got to the receiver).

36. By FAVREXCEL on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

MR.FEBRUARY BRETT FAVRE ::

37. By FAVREXCEL on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

FAVRE 4 EVER.

38. By FAVREXCEL on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

GO VIKES….

39. By Fan on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

The Vikings didn’t get where they are by cowering this team is scary good and will play for the NFC Championship, if they are in their usual form they will beat New Orleans. Football is weird, any given Sunday any team can win. I’ve seen a fire in the Vikings’ ranks this season, but didn’t see that last night against Arizona. They need to light that “fire” before each game….go Vikes.

40. By JoJo on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

I find it interesing that before Sunday night, Vikes fans thought it was real cute to come on all the Cardinals blogs and talk smack…I haven’t seen any posts today. Looks like your defensive leader went down, and jared allen was shut out by our ‘rookie’ left tackle starter Jeremy Bridges. Good game. God bless. See you soon.

41. By Renee on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

My thoughts and prayers go out to E.J. and his family. I hope that his recovery is a swift and complete one. Blessings! Skol Vikings!!

42. By Tim on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

I personally can attest to how he is feeling right now… I broke my tibia and fibula about 2 1/2 years ago – a compound fracture – and seeing how he was hurt last night almost made me sick. Seeing the severity of his injury, and my personal experience with a similar injury (which after 2 1/2 years is still not 100%), I wish him the best of luck recovering, but I don’t see him coming back. Certainly not this year, if at all in the future. Good luck EJ, I hope you do make it back!

43. By cb on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Now you queens will see what Brent is all about! It’s that time of year for you vqueens to fall flat on your faces like every other year! GB Packers take the NFC North Division!!

44. By Stu on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Sherry Stanley_You’ve got the right idea, girl!You offensive discoordinators need to stop trying this run up the middle that has become no more than a dismal bluff, no failure.So when everything’s said and done how did the Cardinals win? They all but eliminated the Vikes run game….kept pressure on Farve…gave Warner all the time in the world to throw and executed like champs. Let’s see, did I miss anything? Yes, One can’t expect a different outcome repeating the same mistakes over and over again as done in the rushing failed strategy. Get better E.J.!

45. By farkings on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

does our line do ANY! stunts? 4 straight on mostly, kept waiting for something different

46. By Santiago flores on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

I’m so sorry about your injury, men i’m a fan of you, i like the intensity of your game, I hope you get well soon.

47. By ohioviking on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

By JoJo on Dec 7, 2009

48. By ohioviking on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

The only reason the Jared Allen wasn’t getting free wasn’t the great play of a rookie lineman. He was constantly double teamed. That makes it difficult no matter who you are. The rest of the defense should have recognized that was happening and ran some stunts to free not only him but the rest of the defense up. We got out played and out coached the entire game . The play calling was terrible and Childress finally payed for it with loss. It seemed like there was never any sense of urgency with the offense during the whole game. The play clock just continually ran. Why was there no play action when at the 5 and down by 7 to freeze the cards defense? So instead we had to settle for a field goal. No hurry up offense to keep the defense of guard. Just the same old play calling that didn’t work in the first half. You can’t keep running the same offense and play calling when its not working during a game. Hopefully E.J has quick and complete recovery. He will be sorely missed.

49. By JustaFan on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Just wanted to wish E.J. a speedy recovery and the best of luck! It’s sad to see such a string of bad luck, but I guess that is football at times.

Personally I would love to see Brooks here as I am a fan of his from when he was in his prime. But I don’t think he is a good fit as he is not the type of MLB the Vikings like. Zack Thomas is closer to what I think the Vikings would want.

Doom? really? Having backups play and shine is how players get a chance to show what they have. I thought Winfield going down would kill the team, but his back ups have done very well all things considered. I’m sure there will be growing pains either way since any new player would have to learn the defense and a rookie would be… a rookie.

I know! Put Percy in there! That kid looks like he could hit like a truck! j/k if only…

50. By Jackie on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

I wish you a speedy recovery EJ! I just bought your jersey last week and I’m going to wear it proudly to the Vikes/Bengals game!

51. By AussieViking on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

Stay frosty Vikes…there’s a way to go yet…

52. By THE MINNESOTA MARC on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

BEST OF LUCK EJ, HOPE YOU GET BETTER SOON, YOU WILL BE MISSED BY EVERYONE, THERE IS A SAYING IF IT DOES NOT KILL YOU IT ONLY MAKES YOU STRONGER!!! WITH THAT BEING SAID, THIS IS STILL THE YEAR, THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS THAT HAS EVER BEEN PUT ON THE FLOOR OF THE DOME, RECOVER LIKE THE TEAM DID AFTER THE LOSE TO THE STEELERS, AND CONTINUE ON TO KICK ASS ONTO THE PLAYOFFS, BRETT KEEP ON DOING WHAT YOU HAVE DONE THE WHOLE SEASON, AP, MR ALL DAY KEEP RUNNING YOU ARE STILL THE BEST. LETS GO TAKE IT TO THE END, AND SHOW THE OTHER 31 TEAMS IN THE NFL THAT THIS IS A VIKINGS TEAM THAT IS NOT TO BE UNDERESTIMATED!!!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!!

53. By FAVREXCELS on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply