Before we set the table for Arizona, I wanted to empty out my notebook from last Sunday’s 36-10 victory over Chicago…
– QB Brett Favre connected with WR Percy Harvin in the 2nd quarter for a 15-yard TD, giving the Vikings a 7-0 lead and giving Harvin his 5th receiving TD of the season. It’s impressive that Harvin has 5 receiving TDs already in his career, but it’s clearly much more impressive that the 2nd-quarter TD marked the 500th career combined TD for Favre. He now has 488 career TD passes and 14 career rushing TDs, giving him 502 career combined TDs.
– Speaking of TD records, one of Favre’s passing TDs on Sunday went to TE Visanthe Shiancoe, giving the athletic TE his 8th of the season. Shiancoe’s 8 TDs this season match the Vikings single-season TD record for TEs, which was set by Joe Senser in 1981.
– The Vikings got to Bears QB Jay Cutler for 4.0 sacks on Sunday and DE Jared Allen owned 2.0 of them, bringing his season-long total to 12.5. Allen is now 1.5 sacks behind Denver DE Elvis Dumervil. But Allen’s contribution on Sunday wasn’t limited to calf-roping Cutler; he also notched an INT, his 1st of the season. For the season, Allen has 4 passes defensed, 3 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries (1 for a TD) and 1 INT to go along with his 12.5 sacks.
– RB Adrian Peterson toted the ball 25 times on Sunday for 85 yards, putting him over the 1,000-yard mark for the 3rd time in his career. Even more impressive, Peterson’s status this season as a 1,000-yard rusher gives G Steve Hutchinson his 9th consecutive season blocking for a 1,000-yard rusher.
– New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees was impressive on Monday night against the New England Patriots, tossing 5 TDs on the night and registering a 158.3 passer rating. That performance vaults Brees ahead of Favre for the lead in NFL passer rating. For the season, Brees has a 112.6 rating and Favre is right on his heals with a 112.1 rating.
– When the Vikings and Bears get together again later this month on December 28, the Vikings will have to account for a LB who wasn’t in the lineup last Sunday. On Tuesday Chicago signed LB Cato June to a free agent contract. With starting middle LB Brian Urlacher out for the season since Week 1 and starting strongside LB Pisa Tinoisamoa also out with an injury, the Bears needed some reinforcement at the position and that’s exactly what June can provide. Remember, he was a part of the Super Bowl-winning Indianapolis Colts a few seasons back.
Tags: Adrian Peterson, Jared Allen, Visanthe Shiancoe
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 1 Comment »