Vikings Are AFC Fans Again Tonight

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 30, 2009 – 11:48 am

We mentioned earlier in this space that an AFC team was quite helpful to the Vikings in their drive for playoff positioning in the NFC. The Tennessee Titans defeated the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, knocking the defending NFC champs to7-4 overall, 3 games behind the Vikings.

Tonight another AFC team – the New England Patriots – will also play an NFC division leader – the New Orleans Saints. The Saints are one of two remaining undefeated teams (Indianapolis) and are in the driver’s seat for the #1 seed and home field advantage in the NFC playoffs. But a loss tonight will pull them back in a tie with the Vikings at 10-1 and the race for the #1 seed will be on.

Tonight’s game between the Patriots and Saints is in New Orleans and kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. CT.

24 Responses to “Vikings Are AFC Fans Again Tonight”

1. By bleeding purple on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

what is the tiebreaker if both teams end 15-1, strenth in schedule?

2. By vikefan4eva on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

bleed purple I had the exact same question, what does happen? Has it happened before?

3. By Derek on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Go Patriots! Help out us Vikings!

4. By BrettFavre#1Fan on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

I am gonna watch the game and cheer on the Pats because I want the Saints to finally lose a game. Sure, 10-0 is their best start in franchise history, but the need to lose a game or two. If the Vikes keep on their hot streak (they have 5 in a row following the loss to the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh) they could probably lock up the #1 seed fairly early if the Saints lose 2 or 3 games.

5. By vikingfan1955 on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

yes we are afc fans for tonight we need this bad but also they have no losses in the division.I have a question,are there any vike fans that at the start of the season were against favre that have changed their mind and welcomed him.

6. By srg on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Tie-breakers as follows:

7. By vikefan4eva on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

To answer your question vikingfan1955 I was one of those anti Favre people. Not only because of his age but because for so many years I loathed him when he played for the packers. Now more then anything I respect him for how he plays the game, but for me it still is bittersweet.

8. By bleeding purple on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

looking at the tie-breaking rules, lloks like the tie will be boke by Strength of victory, which i do not feel is fair, because NO keeps all their starters in the whole game to blow them out while we put replacements in to save face for other team

9. By People Eater on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Assuming New Orleans loses against the Patriots tonight, and both teams win out the rest of the season, we would be tied in the NFC. Here are the tie-breaking rules in such an event:

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
    - we will not have played each other in the regular season.
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    - both teams would be undefeated within the conference
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    - we will both have won all of our common games
    4. Strength of victory.
    MN – 14.9 average margin of actual victories
    NO – 16.5 average margin of actual victories

Looks like the Vikes will need to step up the scoring if they want to have a chance at home field advantage through the playoffs.

@bleeding purple – I think we remove our players to prevent injuries rather than to save anyone face.

10. By Stephanie on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

dang, the Saints are looking good. I have never cheered for the Patriots, but I certainly hope they start stopping the Saints. it doesn’t look good right now

11. By StickalluvsVikes on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Dudes. Idk what we’re going to do. The saints are amazing…. and they have a great sob story with hurricane katrina. Best minneapolis has is a collapsed bridge. I can already see the pre-bowl back story for the saints… about katrina and a desolate, depressed town and how they are getting revitalized and now the team is bringing a new strength and HOPE to the city. Yup. we don’t stand a chance. Our bridge ain’t good enough…

12. By PAVikesFan on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

I was also against Favre coming in here, only b/c it was so late, I didn’t think it set a good point to young players and I dont think anyone is above the game, so I personally didnt think it was the right thing to do, but, winning cures all, at the end of the day…I’ll tell ya something as well, I dont mind the Saints winning, honestly…here’s why: let the media talk about them and how great they are,(which they are), and let the focus be on them, I’d rather have that than all the talk be about #4 this and #4 that, put the pressure on the Saints, we can the Falcons of ’98 and go in their place and knock them off, I never liked being the favorite, I like the underdog role, you against the world, u can bond and mesh together and it can be a pwerful thing…So, I don’t mind that the Saints won, but, wow!, they are a dynamic team, I don’t know how u beat them, they are something else

13. By PAVikesFan on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

please, we dont need the negativity, woah is me attitude…We can go down there and beat them

14. By SDVikes Fan on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

About Football Glossary – Strength of Victory
    By James Alder, About.com Guide

Definition: A part of the NFL’s tiebreaking proceedure, strength of victory is figured by calculating the combined winning percentage of the opponents a team has beaten.

Examples:
    If two teams end with identical records, combine the records of the opponents in each of the team’s wins and calculate the total winning percentage. The team whose opponents have the higher winning percentage wins the tiebreaker.

15. By vikingfan1955 on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

pavikesfan I agree with u winning cures all wounds and yes let the big talk and pressure go to he saints but we arte the only team that can beat them.Why because of our defense.We can match them on offense but they can’t match us on defense.Our qb and recievers can match them easy but they don’t have the o’line we have and a jared allen.we can also match them at the qb position.we both play in domes and that will play a small part.They won’t run on us like they do others either.They played an awesome game against the pats but we match u better than anyother team against them.The pats don’t scare me and if we face them in the bowl chalk up the win for us.

16. By paul on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

don’t care if we go down there, for the nfc championship, or if they come up here…they still won’t have faced the harshest pass rush in the nfl… the best wr’s in the league don’t mean a thing if their qb is lying in the dirt…that’s how u beat the saints

17. By Azzy on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

well, I am huge vikings fan. we are powerfull but what I saw tonight was quite different then the way vikings play. Maaaaaaaaaan saints are scoring machine you fall behind, your knocked out cold. However we will shock them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see dead Saints at the superdowm

18. By Azzy on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

by the way is Antwan winfield be back?

19. By PAVikesFan on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

I agree, we do match up well with them, and I do think we are the only team in the NFC that can beat them, HOWEVER, don’t overlook their defense, like pretty much everybody has done this season…They only lead the league in takeaways, defensive TD’s, and turnover margin…Look at Darren Sharper, he knows Breet Favre’s tendencies, he’s going to play with passion when and if we play them, he’ll be looking for revenge…Imagine now if Mike McKenzie and Chris McAllister can play anything like they used to be, then they have 4-5 excellent corners…Will Smith is a solid pass rusher and Sedrick Ellis is a good DT…u can hold the Pats to 17 points and make Tom Brady look the way he did last night, ur good….they were basically playing man coverage all night and shut their receivers down, and they got a consistent pass rush on Brady all night, they are for real people, their D is just as good as ours, the only thing with our defense is that we don’t create a lot of TO’s, that may have to change come playoff time

20. By Stu on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

“The Reality Bowl”…Wouldn’t it be great to see the Vikings finally take the Lombardi Trophy? Let’s play the Reality Bowl first. There’s nobody gonna take down the Saints at this juncture except possibly the Saints. Pay attention how easily they move the ball down the field, like nobody else in the game right now (no disrespect to the great Mr. Favre.)So unless the execution, strategy and focus keeps improving and the Enquirer leaks that Drew Brees is actually an Android we’d all best pray….a lot!Yeah, I’m gettin’ ready to duck all the jeers. Bring’em on!

21. By PAVikesFan on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

‘Stu’, nah man, I hear ya…I’m not sure if and how you can beat them…and I don’t like anyone’s chances of beating them in New Orleans, that place has all the magic in the world right now

22. By steven on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

we need a vikings vs steelers rematch that last game was a fluke

23. By vikingsfan1955 on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

We understand how well the saints are moving the ball but true viking fans can remember we had aseason simular when we had cunningham and it all went down the tubes against a team that was playing simular to how things are now.We went down to the falcons who were playing at that time like we are now and we were playing like the saints are.If u think we have no chance ur crazy because our d is way better than the pats d and the pats played bad monday.

24. By Stu on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Didn’t say the Saints were unbeatable. Nobody’s unbeatable. The Dolphins have part of that puzzle as the only team to put up 30 plus against New Orleans and contained’em in the preseason. I said nobody’s got their number at this juncture.As far as being a True Vikings fan, teams change their roster every few years,but you’re right!I’m pullin’ for THIS present team, and not because of the wins, but because of their demonstrated character and the way they support one another…that’s a true rarity in team sports today.I’ll take character over wins and bragging any day.This Vikings squad is better and more balanced than the dominating Cunningham squad. Yes, This Vikings team will improve and have the best chance of anyone to defrock the Saints.And you’re absolutely right, the Vikings Defense is superior. It’s a game and I enjoy the wins as much as Favre does…well, almost.