NFC North Action On Thanksgiving

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 26, 2009 – 7:32 am

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving Vikings fans!

Vikings fans have a lot to be thankful for at this point in the season, with a 9-1 record and a firm hold on the NFC North. Speaking of the NFC North, those of us who eat today’s big meal around the lunch hour will get some Vikings-relative football to go with the turkey and potatoes and stuffing and corn and green bean casserole and cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie.

The Green Bay Packers will play the Detroit Lions today at Ford Field, with kickoff slated for 11:30 CT. It’s looking like former Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper will get the start for Detroit because Matthew Stafford is dealing with a shoulder injury.

Speaking of injuries, Green Bay was stung by a couple of big ones last week. CB Al Harris was placed on injured reserve and DE Aaron Kampman appears to be lost for the season as well. But the Packers are riding a 2-game winning streak and are favored to win today. A 3rd win a row will keep them squarely in the hunt to qualify for the playoffs.

There are 2 other NFL games later today, as Oakland visits Dallas in the afternoon game and the Denver Broncos host the NY Giants in the night game.

14 Responses to “NFC North Action On Thanksgiving”

1. By PurplePeopleEater on Nov 26, 2009 | Reply

Go Lions! We miss you Culpepper!!

(Well not really, but you’ve got us cheering for ya once more!)

2. By KevinWI on Nov 26, 2009 | Reply

The way Stafford played last week, I thought Detroit finally had a chance to beat the Packers….but with Stafford and Johnson out, that will be a tall order.
    As Viking fans, we can only hope! Heck….Tampa beat GB…maybe there is a prayer?

3. By jared on Nov 26, 2009 | Reply

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

4. By PAVikesFan on Nov 26, 2009 | Reply

To me, it doesn’t really matter…Obviously we will be rooting for Detroit, but, honestly, they don’t have a chance, even with Al Harris and Aaron Kampman out for the year, but that will catch up with them as the season draws to an end…And, we will be rooting for our ex-Viking Daunte…He had such a promising career that got shortened by his devastating knee injury (Chris Gamble->Panthers), talk about a cheap shot, he went right for his knees…But, he was one of my favorite guys, remember his ’04 season?, one of the best ever by any QB, I hope for his sake, he can show some ppl around the country he can still get it done, but it will be toiugh b/c he is playing with the Lions…Good Luck

5. By PAVikesFan on Nov 26, 2009 | Reply

Nevermind that comment…ESPN and profootball talk both say that Stafford and Calvin Johnson are both playing…that says alot about the young guy, good for him

6. By FAVREACTS on Nov 26, 2009 | Reply

HAPPIE :] THANKZ GIVIN VIKINGZ FAMILAH 09-10

7. By vikingfan1955 on Nov 26, 2009 | Reply

If green bay loses this one and we beat the bears we walk into the playoffs.

8. By Bud Fern on Nov 26, 2009 | Reply

They really should have let Culpepper play. I think he would have done much better than Stafford.

9. By PurplePeopleEater on Nov 26, 2009 | Reply

I agree Bud. Idiotic move to allow Stafford to continue playing with that injury, espescially after throwing a few INTs and then after the game was obviously out of reach. It almost seemed as if Detroit is TRYING to destroy their investments. Time to start looking into a Dodge…

10. By purple08 on Nov 27, 2009 | Reply

Randy Moss made Culpepper’s career… without Moss, Daunte has never done anything. Getting rid of Culpepper was a great thing. He developed a bad attitude and cleaning house of guys like him and Koren Robinson etc… was the beginning of turning this franchise around from the laughing stock of the league to a respectable superbowl contender. I would not attribute his poor play 100% to his knee injury. Tom Brady had a worse knee injury and continues to play at a hall of fame level. Culpepper was a flash in the pan chump! Matt Stafford on the other hand is showing awesome leadership qualities and looks like a natural winner. I think if he can stay healthy he will have a great career. Congratulations Lions fans!

11. By purple08 on Nov 27, 2009 | Reply

Not to mention Culpepper had Chris Carter as well.(all time greatest hands in NFL history) I think Jake Reed was the 3rd receiver. Correct me if I am wrong.

12. By scott on Nov 27, 2009 | Reply

Definitely a good win yesterday. Moreno ran the rock well. Orton made mostly good decision. The defense was stellar. A new streak beins now.

13. By 4everpurple on Nov 28, 2009 | Reply

Your so right purple08…..We could have played QB with targets like that to throw at. After Moss left the best pass Culpepper threw was on a boat in the middle of lake Minnatonka !!

14. By Chester Quiambao on Aug 20, 2011 | Reply

I’m impressed, I need to say. Actually hardly ever do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve gotten hit the nail on the head. Your thought is excellent; the problem is something that not sufficient individuals are speaking intelligently about. I am very completely satisfied that I stumbled across this in my seek for something regarding this.