Did You Know?

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 20, 2009 – 12:03 pm

A few statistical nuggets to chew on while we wait for Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress to speak with reporters following today’s practice. Childress will address his contract extension with reporters after practice and he’ll also be asked about an injury update.

Thanks to the Vikings talented PR staff for some of the stats…

– RB Adrian Peterson needs just 44 rushing yards to break into the top 10 for the most rushing yards in the first 3 NFL seasons. Peterson, who currently has 4,018 rushing yards, trails Eddie George’s 4,061 for 10th.

– Also, Peterson needs just 83 yards to reach 1,000 for the 2009 season. If he does, it will be the 9th consecutive season G Steve Hutchinson has blocked for a 1,000-yard rusher.

– Even though WR Sidney Rice has 750 more receiving yards than FB/TE Jeff Dugan, they have the same amount of TD receptions (2).

– If the Vikings win, it will be the team’s 18th win in the last 22 regular season games and it will mark the team’s first 9-1 start since 1998.

– With the win last week against Detroit, Childress now has a 13-9 record against the NFC North since taking over as head coach in 2006. He’s led the Vikings to 7 consecutive wins against the division.

– If the Vikings do not allow a Seahawks running back to reach 100 rushing yards, it will be the 33rd consecutive game the team hasn’t given up 100 yards rushing to an individual. The Vikings current streak of 32 games is the longest active stretch in the NFL. The last player to rush for 100 yards against the Vikings was Packers RB Ryan Grant on 11/11/07 (102 yards).

– With a passer rating of 100+, QB Brett Favre will collect his 101st career game with a 100+ passer rating. Favre’s teams are 92-8 in his 100 career games with a 100+ rating.

Tags: ,

10 Responses to “Did You Know?”

1. By optimisticskeptic on Nov 20, 2009 | Reply

I love these kinds of posts, random stats are the best! Especially love the Hutch stat – those guys deserve so much more credit than they get. Can’t wait to be part of the crowd noise pushing AP to 1000 yards Sunday!!!SKOL!

2. By shirely on Nov 20, 2009 | Reply

wish I could go to the game this sunday when Adrian get to 1000

3. By PurplePeopleEater on Nov 20, 2009 | Reply

This will be a fun game to be at for that stat alone. A stat that I’ve been wanting to know is: what is the longest streak (ACTIVE or NOT) of games that a team has not allowed a 100 yard rusher? How many more games will it take to reach/beat that?

4. By mikewobschall on Nov 20, 2009 | Reply

I believe the record is 38, set by Baltimore. That streak ended this season when Cedric Benson of the Bengals went for 100.

5. By wiscvikingfan on Nov 21, 2009 | Reply

Can’t you see it? This Viking team, on the field and on the sidelines, are having fun, they have the passion, and a winning attitude. Just watched the Rice, Farve Live wire, O-Line (eating healthy food) and Peterson videos and you can see how much fun these guys are having. How much they enjoy playing with each other and complimenting each others contributions to winning. If Winfield plays sparingly Sunday, it will be exciting to see in action again. Winfield is the missing link on having the best players on the field. Keep the record breaking stats going.

6. By marko on Nov 21, 2009 | Reply

has anyone heard the rumor, that if minnesota doesnt get a new stadium. they wanna move the team to los angelos. its just a rumor i saw on yahoo sports. i really hope that is a false rumor.

7. By hank on Nov 21, 2009 | Reply

I HOPE SOME KIND OF DEAL CAN BE MADE YO KEEP THE VIKINGS IN MINNESOTA

8. By Alvike on Nov 21, 2009 | Reply

I feel kind of embaressed asking this cause I consider myself a huge Vikings fan, but what is SKOL? I don’t live in MN, but I always follow the team to every extent that is available to me, and I’ve never been able to see what that means.

9. By SkolVikings on Nov 21, 2009 | Reply

Skol is a Norweigan term; I beleive its a term for toasting to honor / a salute. So its like “Vikings Salute” …

As per the rumors, who knows about moving to LA. If they do, I wont be a fan anymore. That would really upset the balance, but LA has the approval to build a new stadium.

I like the meterodome; but I guess the biggest problem, why all the other tennats have left as well, is revenue. I don’t know if its the seating capacity or lack of extra ad revenue, but if the team is running at a loss every year, thats a problem.

10. By Jeff on Nov 22, 2009 | Reply

These are the same type of rumors about moving the team as they had when we played at the Met. The Vikings belong in Minnesota, so built them a new stadium and put it somewhere were we can tailgate again.