Extensive Military Elements In Today’s Game Presentation

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 15, 2009 – 11:48 am

With last Wednesday’s observation of Veterans Day, the Vikings today are proud to honor all service members past and present with a “Salute to the Military” theme for today’s game.

Today’s Vikings-Lions game is being broadcast via a special live feed to the Minnesota National Guard’s 34th Red Bull Infantry Division in Basra, Iraq.

The honorary Viking for today’s game is a member of the 34th Red Bull Infantry Division who will sound the Gjallarhorn live from Contingency Operating Base Basra in Southern Iraq.

Today’s Hometown Hero is Sgt. Dan Young, who serves with the Minnesota National Guard’s St. Paul-based 2nd Assault Helicopter Battalion, 147th Aviation Regiment and is the 1st Minnesotan to receive the Distinguished Flying Cross for heroism in combat since WWII.

The National Anthem will be performed by the 34th Red Bull Infantry Division, live from Iraq.

Airmen from the 148th Fighter Wing and 133rd Airlift Wing and Soldiers from the Minnesota National Guard Funeral Honors Team will be responsible for flag detail today.

21 Responses to “Extensive Military Elements In Today’s Game Presentation”

1. By wall of pain on Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

pick this name it will go all the way

2. By The Great Wall of Kings on Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

go vikings

3. By moorevikes on Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

nfl.com by the numbers is a sweep by vikings players at this time brett favre, passing- adrian peterson, rushing- sidney rice, receiving- ray edwards, sacks great game guys nice tackling from def backs could’ve done without all the penalties but otherwise awsome game

4. By purple08 on Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

I love football and the NFL but I am disgusted that it is used as a recruiting tool for the Military. Rah!Rah! Rah! USA!USA! God Bless America!! What a joke!! Proud to be American is one thing, but…

5. By rap99 on Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

PURPLE08, thats right!!!!! USA-USA, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!! if you don’t like it get the F out!!!!!! you are the joke!!!!! GOD bless all the men and women in the military, they protect A-holes like you!!!!!

6. By ouch on Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

a recruiting tool? I don’t think those were our intentions on being there today. try recognition and appreciation… im not sure if youre aware but veterans day just passed. Thanks to everyone else who was there and thanked our troops today!! go vikes! also would like to add the vikings is soo much more than a football team they have been very active in supporting our troops as well as hometown happenings. this isn’t something thats required from a sports team but they go above and beyond giving their attention to situations like this…. couldn’t be more proud to live in minnesota! seriously an AMAZING all around team!

7. By thatguy on Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

Glad those Vikes could give our boys (and girls) a win to enjoy overseas! Thank you for everything you do men and women of the military!

8. By thatguy on Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

Purple08 should be ashamed by the way…

9. By MrTEA on Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

Thanks Vikings for showing the 34th! it was great to see the troops, I was able “by suprise” see my son! That was Alsome!!!! Thanks again Vikings and all of you who put that together for our troops of the 34th!!! Be safe Red Bulls!!

10. By rap99 on Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

MrTEA, GOD bless you and your son, you should be very proud! thank you members of the 34th, and all the troops for keeping us safe, glad the vikes won for you guys! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!! go vikes!

11. By MrTEA on Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

Thanks rap99 and go VIKES!!! I was around when the purple people eaters dominated!! Now it looks like there Clones!! have taking over!!! :) lol. Keep on rolling Vikings!

12. By moorevikes on Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

hey 08 you’re out of line obviously you never served or new anyone that’s served but sports and the military(and i mean mainly football) go hand and hand if they get a chance to watch a game it’s a luxury its good for morale, it gives them a little piece of home. while they are providing you with the luxury of freedom i think its the least the nfl can do for them. not once will you ever hear an announcer, coach, player,or anyone in the nfl say “go join the service. i think after that comment you need to change your name before you post again. proud ex marine. proud son, brother, and grandson of ex marines. go vikes and go USA military men and women. thank you for all that you do. oh one last thing 08 remember while you’re eating turkey and watching football there is probably someone dying in iraq or afganistan so that you can blog on with some…

13. By moorevikes on Nov 15, 2009 | Reply

idiotic comment.

14. By purple08 on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

obviously i owe everyone on here a big apology. my comments were out of line. i did not mean any disrespect to the soldiers or any veterans…matter of fact i have nothing but respect for anyone who has served in the forces. that being said, i just don’t think anyone is protecting me by being in afghanistan. I think you can still be a proud American and disagree with what your government is doing. we have no business being over there and the sooner people realize that the government oficials are the real threat to us, the better. but this is a football blog, and i am way out of line posting this stuff here. I apologize and out of respect for everyone i have offended, i will never post on this site again. Sorry. Bring the Boys Home!!! p.s. rap 99- go f u c k yourself!

15. By Minnybaby! on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

08, It is nice that you apologized but you were out of line with your comments. You have offended many. Too many beers today maybe?? People get very passionate when they read stuff like that. I am willing to forgive you because I usually enjoy your posts but try to keep the discussion to football. Go Vikings!

16. By PAVikesFan on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

ummm, ’08, don’t do that, man, I want you to post on here, u r a Vikings fan, and we all are, through thick and thin…u have ur opinion, we have ours, and truth be told, my father fought in Vietnam and never liked to talk about his experience…anytime he sees our current soldiers being treated the way they do, he is glad to see the change, b/c back then, u were looked at as something totallt different, u werent praised for being an American soldier, they were villified for being over in Vietnam, for which they had no control of, he has said he got screamed at, called names, hurtful names, spit at, and for what, for doing what our soldiers today are doing…I for one agree that we have no idea what we are doing over there, it’s not working, it never will work, there is too much hat-red over us in that part of the world…BUT, I do respect our boyz and what they are doing, and I know u feel the same way, it just came out the wrong way…Bottom line, we want you on here b/c u r Vikings fan like all of us and that’s what this website is all about in the end, we post on what topics are put up, and that’s all you did, please cut the guy some slack, people, b/c that’s what being a follower of the Lord would tell u to do, forgive

17. By purple08 on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

Wow! Thanks PAVikesFan.minnybaby was right…too many beers. Still, I was out of line but your kind words are appreciated. Also your words made me realize how foolish it was to use foul language on a great website like this. for what it is worth rap99, i am sorry for what i said to you. i enjoy verbally jousting with you on a regular basis. i guess i will have to re-evaluate myself and my comments. Thanks again.

18. By rap99 on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

08 i enjoy it also!

19. By moorevikes on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

hey 08 i’m with pavikings normally i am laughing my butt off at your comments that one just took me by surprise and you’re right everyone has the right to their opinion it takes a strong person to appologize and i for one would miss your sense of humor okay enough of the lovey dovey stuff can’t wait till the seachickens come to town i used to live there and alot of my buddies are fans of them. the last time we met i flew back there and all they could talk about was whos chester taylor and chester had an awsome game (i guess they found out who he was real quick) now they’ll find out who adrian peterson is wish i could go to the game but ohwell i’m actually lucky the fox station where i live now plays all vikings games

20. By purple08 on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

I was at that game in seattle moorevikes! Taylor had that big 90 yard run(approx) for a TD. I was hungover as h ell and remember it was so loud it was killing me. I was with 7 other guys but we could only get single tickets. so there I was sitting by myself with my foam horns on, getting verbally abused by seahawk fans all game. I could not wait to get out of there so I could get back to the hotel room and get some sleep! I remember Hasslebeck was hurt and Seneca Wallace played that game. I was wearing my old #93 John Randle Jersey. It was awesome!!

21. By moorevikes on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

small world 08 small world the hangover for me was a day later though. right on and lets go vikes