Favre The Latest Vikings To Be Named Player Of The Week

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 4, 2009 – 6:15 pm

Each week the NFL identifies an AFC and NFC Player of the Week for offense, defense and special teams. In a league with as many talented players and outstanding individual performances as the NFL, being distinguished as having the week’s best of the best performances is a significant honor.

After his record-tying (Dan Marino) 21st career 4-TD game this past week against the Packers, Vikings QB Brett Favre was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week.  It’s the 2nd time this season he’s received the honor, with both awards following performances against the Packers. In 2 games against his former team in 2009, Favre has passed for 515 yards and 7 TDs without an INT, going 41-of-59 (69.5%) with a 135.9 passer rating.

Favre now has 15 NFL Offensive Player of the Week honors. Just as impressive, the Vikings have now had 11 players of the week since 2006, and Favre is the 3rd Vikings player already this season to be so honored.

Aside from Favre’s 2 awards, both LB Chad Greenway and WR/KR Percy Harvin (vs. San Francisco in Week 3) have been honored as players of the week. Greenway was the NFC Defensive Player of the Week in Week 2 against Detroit and Harvin was the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week against San Francisco in Week 3.

9 Responses to “Favre The Latest Vikings To Be Named Player Of The Week”

1. By Barb Bohm on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

Great game! I love watching the Vikings with Brett. I was a Brett Favre fan when he was with the Packer’s. Now I am a huge Viking’s fan because of Brett joining and proud of it! All the constant comments about Brett and his getting emotional (crying). Well Packer Fans whose crying now!! See you at the Super Bowl Vikings!!

2. By vikingsfan1955 on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

I’m happy to see favre get the player of the week.He has proved himself over and over every week.Those that said he’s washed up and the vikes would go down because of him,well who’s laughing now.I asked this a few times with no answer from vikngs fans so I ask again,has any of u that didn’t want favre to play for us now have a change of mind and how many would still want to dump him now.

3. By PurplePeopleEater on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

VF1955 – For me, the warriness of signing Favre to the Vikings ebbed after he played a year for the Jets, and I was able to learn all the ins and outs of what the GB management was doing to convince him to retire. I was still concerned with how his arm would be after the surgery, but he has definately proven that he is still a top calibur player. Now my only concern is whether the claims are true that he falls apart towards the end of the season, though I’m apt to believe that it is the play of his entire team that dwindles as the season wears on, and it starts to show in his performance.

4. By Valkyerie4 on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

The “he fades at the end of the year” accusation is false and the product of disgruntled Packer fans and anti-Favrians for years. Where is the proof? Was it last year after the injury to his arms and the Jets played dismally throughout December and on their west coast road trips? Was it in 2007 leading the Packers into OT in the Championship game? Or was it in the snowy game the weelk before when he brought the Packers back from 14 or more down to beat the Seahawks. GIven that most of the Viking games for the remainder of the season are in domes or warm weather, I wouldn’t worry too much about “fading”. Sacks or a flare up in the arm are the concern.

5. By Valkyerie4 on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

I just wanted to add…. I grew up in a Green Bay Packer household. Everyone cheered for the Packers. I remember watching them as early as 1985. After Brett Favre came to the team it got really exciting to watch the Packers, not just for my whole famiily but for me also. Brett gave me a lot to cheer about and was a personal inspiration to me. Even these many years later it is so exciting to watch him play. I left Packer nation with hard feelings towards TT and his posse…and you’re reading a girl who spent part of her honeymoon at Packer training camp a few years back. I think Brett looks divine in purple and those Vikings are the hottest sports car I’ve ever seen him drive! What an exciting team! All Day Adrian, Purple Haze Percy Harvin-Farvin. Jarrod “I really am a Viking” Allen, Shank, Sidney, Berrian, The Williams Wall! Oh my! Even if Brett is gone next year, I’ll still be pulling for the purple. Now, my one question (imaginary) interview with Brett Favre.

Brett, do you have regrets about comig to Minnesota?
    Brett Favre: Yes… I regret that we don’t play Green Bay 16 times and that we are both in the NFC, because I’d like to beat their a** in the Superbowl too.

6. By Kevin on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

All I can say is,..I never doubted this TEAM first off. The addition of Brett Favre was sound for the development of these receivers and financially it was huge for the corporate. Here’s to a very good chance at the big show!!!!

p.s. Brett favre is just fun football,..what a great QB!!

7. By moorevikes on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

Valkyerie, love the excitement, the imaginary question (laughed my a## off), the nickname (Purple Haze Percy Harvin) nice. VF1955 the only time I was against Favre was when he made us wait and then let us down but believe me it didn’t take long to get excited again. I’ve never been one to hold a grudge for being part of a rival team if you’re a good player you’re more than welcome on my beloved Vikes. I hate the fans of rival teams more than I hate the team. I can’t wait to sweep the Boars so that we can shut all them up too. I’m getting ahead of myself, first the Kittens (Lions) but lets be honest the fans their haven’t been able to talk to much trash as of late. AHH this weekend is going to suck, no game to watch. Has anyone else seen J. Allen tee shirts? That dude kills me. I gotta get the evolution chart one (what a character).

8. By hank on Nov 7, 2009 | Reply

I hated favre for years because he had the talent to frustrate the vikings.What i really like about him is his love for the game and his team leadership and play.It’s funny how a player you despised is slowly becoming a respected member of your favorite team

9. By mike on Nov 8, 2009 | Reply

I knew Brett was better than any QB the Vikes had when he decided to play, however, no one could have predicted the awesome start so far