Looking Good And Looking To Get Healthy At The Bye

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 3, 2009 – 10:39 am

The Vikings enter their bye week with a 7-1 record and fresh off an exciting win over Green Bay that improved their record in the NFC to 5-0 and in the NFC North to 3-0. As a result, the Vikings sit atop the division with a 2.5-game lead over both Chicago and Green Bay and also with tie-breaker priority over the Packers following a season sweep of the green and gold.

With all of that good news in mind, it’s also important to note that the bye week comes at a good time for the Vikings. They are half-way through the regular season, but when you add in a 4-week preseason, training camp, injuries and the high-profile nature of the team, you can see this Vikings team has been through a lot already in 2009.

“It’s the half way point of the season and for us I think it’s great to keep that in perspective,” Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress said. “It is probably good to have the latest bye in the League here. You don’t hear many coaches say that it doesn’t come at a good time. It does come at a good time just from the standpoint that these guys have been going at it for a very long time with the four preseason games and two weeks of training camp.”

Although a key defensive player – Antoine Winfield – has missed the previous 2 games and the Vikings had 11 players on last week’s injury report, Childress said his team goes into the bye pretty healthy and will benefit from the week off.

“We are reasonably healthy,” the head coach said. “Individuals can get healthier. We have a handful of guys that will be staying here and trying to get healthiest this week.”

Aside from Winfield, players such as WR Bernard Berrian (hamstring), QB Brett Favre and LBs E.J. Henderson (knee) and Ben Leber (calf) will certainly benefit from an extra week of rest.

As for players who’ve managed to stay off the injury report, they too need the break to freshen their bodies and their minds for the 2nd half of the regular season and hopefully a playoff push.

“Whether they are going to sit in a deer stand or sit on the beach or contemplate their navel, whatever it is that they care to do, they are free to do as long as they are back here on Monday,” Childress explained. “It’s really a good group of guys. They have tremendous chemistry together. They play for each other. They play with each other. It’s a different, varied group of guys as all you guys know that are in the locker room every day.

“It’s a joy to come to work with these guys every day, and even though they need a time off, I know when time is up they will be anxious to get back and get on with it.”

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “Looking Good And Looking To Get Healthy At The Bye”

1. By Popper on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

With the current bye week and umcoming schedule the Vikings only look to get better as the season goes on. Hopefully Winfield comes back soon. GO VIKINGS!!

2. By purplehorn on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

They play for each other….they play with each other….. what I mean is…….

3. By rap99 on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

PURPLEHORN, LOL, well if they keep winning i will not ask any questions!

4. By Viking-ology on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

When was the last time you heard ‘team chemistry’, and ‘Vikings’ in the same sentence? As good as that ’98 team was, I feel more confident with this team. (this is only my personal opinion) But you can see this team plays as a close unit.

5. By vikingsfan1955 on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

This team has fought hard and needs to get a few key players healthy like harvin,and winfield.Hariv is a beast and trooper.I know he has played with the headaches and other problems but he’s out there and affective.Yes we are weak without winfield but I would say the safties and corners have done well enough to get us some w’s with winfield out so nice job sub’s.

6. By gatoraide on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

Hey, exschism me but has anybody seen that ESPN “schism” around here anywhere. I’m sure I saw it during the game at Lambeau…but it was on the Green Bay side!!

ALSO, Percy, if you are taking time to read any of this stuff, I have a suggestion for you to check into re; your migraines. (I know about what a migraine is like. It kills!) You might consider the possibility that you have a SOY allergy. Today “they’ unnecessariy put soy in almost EVERYTHING! Check into it ,Percy. I discivered soy to be a very toxic, useless ingredient. For starters, Google it and go from there. You will find the most gruesome, toxic stuff is made as a by-product of soy. I haven’t had a migraine since I got soy out of my food chain! It’s easy.

7. By john jackson on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

is darius reynaud still injured? we miss his game breaking asa punt returner and receiver…he can spell harvin as well..he’s an important piece to tget back..u don’t want to get harvin anymore hurt than he is..jaymar is good, reynaud has potential to be great..