Shiancoe Red Hot In The Red Zone

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 2, 2009 – 5:14 pm

Vikings QB Brett Favre has a history of leaning on his TEs, and he hasn’t deviated from that style since joining the Vikings. The primary beneficiary of that is Visanthe Shiancoe, who has continued his ascending Vikings career in 2009 and has become one of Favre’s most reliable targets near the endzone.

In Shiancoe’s 1st season as a Viking, he caught just 1 TD pass. But last year he began to hit his stride in the Vikings offense and posted career-high numbers with 42 receptions for 596 yards and 7 TDs. This year, with Favre under center, Shiancoe is on pace to top his reception and TD totals from 2008 and establish new career highs.

While Shiancoe’s reception and TD numbers look to be on the rise, you’ll notice that he is on pace for fewer receiving yards this year than he had in 2008. But with that downturn in production comes an even bigger upside – production in the red zone.

Red zone scoring is crucial to team success, and Shiancoe has been one of the NFL’s most productive players in the red zone this season. He leads all NFL players in red zone TDs with 6 and is tied for 4th in red zone receptions with 6.

Shiancoe scored another TD on Sunday against Green Bay, giving him 6 on the year and ranking him in a tie for 2nd in the NFL with Miles Austin and Reggie Wayne. He’s on pace to score 12 TDs this season, a total that would break the franchise record for TDs by a TE in a season (8- Joe Senser) and would also give him 23 for his career.

Tags:
Posted in All | 30 Comments »

30 Responses to “Shiancoe Red Hot In The Red Zone”

1. By Jwalker on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

Is L. Frazier out of his darn mind? The D is getting killed in nickel/dime packages. Leave B. Leber (4-3 scheme), when he is in nothing happens in the short passing or runnin game for the opposing team’s offense. Heck he covers the tight end and short range receivers better than Henderson or Chad does. So frustrating! Other than that SKOL VIKINGS.

2. By Donald Thompson on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

The Vikings are a good team, but I do not see them getting to the Super Bowl this year because of their pass defense. All the teams in the NFL know that it is virtually impossible to run against the Vikings, but they can pass against the Vikings, especially in the second half.It is amazing how the pass defense of the Vikings shuts down in the second half. There has been more than one game this year where the Vikings have had big leads in the first half, only to give up an amazing amount of point in the second half, and almost lose the game because of it. I am not sure whether it is because of fatigue or because they feel they have the game in hand and sit on the lead. regardless what the reason is you cannot give up that many points in the second half and expect to win big games. It is just not the passe defense that lets down in the second half but the defense makes costly mistakes, giving the opponent great field position. Offensive players fumbling the ball in the second half has also been a problem.

Brett Favre has played exceptionally well so far, but how long can a forty year old body hold up? Last year when Favre was with the Jets he had a spectacular first half but faltered in the second half due to fatigue and body injuries. Look for that to occur in the second half this year unless the offensive line does a super human job to protect him. When all of these factors are put together I see the Vikings ending up with an 11-5 record, which is good enough to get into the play offs but not good enough to reach the Super Bowl.

Respectfully,

Donald Thompson

3. By Brownicus on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

I’m curious how many viking fans still don’t want Favre? There was so many people here before the season saying how they didn’t Favre, but now you don’t hear anything. I hope he continues to play so well.

Glad Shiancoe has continued to be a fairly reliable target. He probably won’t top last years yardage, but he’s practically a lock to break the vikings TE TD record for a single season.

4. By shirely on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

DT whatever your name is we are going to the super bowl I can’t wait until we put you people in their place when we get to the super then let them talk

5. By shirely on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

and Shiancoe is the Man I knew he was going to be good this year

6. By Favrefan on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

hey Donald Thompson, OOOOPS, i mean Ted Thompson, Vikings going 11-5? Psshh, with the way they are playing and the opponents they have coming up in the schedule, they can easily go 13-2 or 14-2. Just because Brett played bad last year in the 2nd half of the season with that injury doesn’t mean it will happen again this year. That was the only year in his career where he actually faltered during the 2nd half of the season so barring any injuries to himself or his teammates, his play and production should not change. He is off to his best 1st half start ever of his career and has basically silenced all the critics and people who have doubted him and said he was washed up. And Brett Favre isn’t the only playmaker of this Vikings team, their superstar is still Adrian Peterson and they have other great players on the team as well. As for their secondary, they have looked better since that Raven’s 2nd half meltdown, and they played without their best defensive player in that secondary. They must improve i agree if they want to get through the playoffs and into the superbowl but they aren’t that bad as you say they are. Most importantly overall as a team, they are among the league’s elites. I would rank them the 3rd best team right now behind the Saints and the Colts. I don’t know why you would think so lowly of them going into the 2nd half of the season…but i think you’re lying about your name, you are really Ted Thompson!!! Hey dont feel bad that Favre the man you wouldn’t let play for the Packers ever again, but a butt whooping on your team twice like how you feared he would. Good luck trying to keep your job after this season.

7. By Donald Thompson on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

Farvefan:

My first name is not Ted, and I have been an ardent Viking fan since the days of Fran Tarkington. I hope you are right about the Vikings going 14-2, but I do not believe a 40 year old quarterback can produce in the second half the way he did in the first half. It is really tough playing in the NFL, and if Brett Farve does not receive extraordinary protection from his offensive line he will be lucky to complete the second half injury free. I cannot see Travaris Jackson winning too many games. In so far as Adrian Peterson is concerned he is being shut down most of the games he has played, except for the break away runs which have been few. It is true he can make a big play, but for the most part good teams contain him. look what Pittsburg did. How would he do against a team like New Orleans or Indianapolis? If the Vikings can win the next three games, I will agree with you that they could win 14 games this season. However, it is doubtful. If Antoine Winfield can come back healthy they have a legitimate shot. He is some kind of player. If I were coaching an NFL team my strategy against the Vikings would be stop Adrian Peterson and force Brett Favre to throw the football and look to intercept it. I also would cover Percey Harvin on kickoff returns like a blanket. He was the key to the Viking victory on Sunday. Remember, Brett Farve has lived a charmed life so far. The forty Niners should have won at the Metro Dome a month ago if it had not been for a miraculous catch by the Viking wide receiver as time was running out. The Baltimore Ravens should have also won their game at the Metro Dome, but their kicker missed the field goal at the last minute. By rights the Vikings should be 5-3. I know this does not set well with you, but there is such a thing as expecting too much of the Vikings. After all, they have lost four Superbowls!

Donald Thompson

8. By purple08 on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

I was one of the people who were against Favre from the beginning. Not because I didn’t think he could play anymore but because of the hatred I had for him as an opposing player from a rival team. Not because of anything personal but I was so sick of the Media portraying him as the golden boy of the nfl. I was afraid he would come to the Vikes and the media circus with him. well I was right. It has been ridiculous. “Favre Cam”?? WTF is that? My respect for Favre has gone way up because of his play, his humble leadership and his winning attitude that has helped the Vikings locker room change it’s culture from a group that would choke to a group that will make clutch plays. I’ts funny how winning fixes and changes everything. I am happy he is on board now but I am still disgusted at the media and the comments I read on this blog from fans who get so wrapped up in the sideshow that is Brett Favre. I am glad he was booed at Lambeau. It’s a game,it was fun. I’ts supposed to be fun, it’s not real life. To “Donald Thompson” you say the 49ers and the Ravens should have beaten us. Luck goes both ways. the ravens needed a 44 yrd feild goal to win. that is not a gimme. you can’t think like that. we had the steelers game but had a TD taken away by a bad call. sometime you have bad luck sometimes you have good luck. that’s football. the last two game showed that the Vikes are contenders. don’t give me that garbage that by rights the Vikes should be 5-3. By rights the Giants should not have beaten the Pats in the Superbowl a couple of years ago. It was a miraculous catch that won them the game. Great teams make great plays when it matters. You bring up AP? that is what a great running back does! you can bottle him up all day and then bam! he busts a big one. that is the beauty of it. against Pittsburgh he was playing his best football in the 4th qtr and 1 flukey play kills us. when it happens against us it is because we are not that good but when we make a great play it is because it was a miracle. UP YOURS J E R K O F F!!!

9. By purple08 on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

“Donald Thompson” Gee what a brilliant strategy you have there. “if I was coach” I would stop Adrian Peterson and cover their best players like a blanket and try to intercept Favre. Duuhh! I wonder if any NFL coaches could come up with that brilliant game plan. This is how it would sound ” Ok guys, here’s the plan…1) let’s shut down the best running back in the world. Don’t worry about him too much though because his breakaway runs have been few. 2) then were gonna cover all their other guys like blankets.3) by doing all that, we will force their hall of fame Quarterback into throwing the ball and then we will look to intercept it. O.K. go get em’ team!” You are an absolute idiot!!!

10. By Farvestillnotaccepted on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

Wow Donald Thompson, you make no sense at all. 11-5 is your bet for the season? How could anyone come onto a teams website a post something that foolish without even looking at the teams schedule? And you say they may be able to go 14-2 if they win the next three games, but that is doubtful? Huh… Well after looking at those next three games, I have come to the conclusion that you are, in fact, completely clueless. The next team will be Det. @ Home. Does anything even need to be said about that one? Followed by Sea. @ Home which also is a gimme, then come Chi @ Home, which if you are a long time vikings fan like you say you are, then you should know that Vikings just about always beat the Bears at home, especially this years Vikings. In fact, take a look at the rest of the schedule and educate yourself before you go on making any more ridiculous claims.
    It looks like the only 2 teams even capable of beating the Viks are the Bengals and the Giants, however the Giants are playing horrible so hopefully that continues to the end of the season.
    So my prediction is that the Vikings will go 15-1 and make it to the NFC championship to deliver the Saints their very first loss, and go on to the Bowl. That is unless Farve shows his true colors and blows the playoffs like we all know he might. (And Yes, the Saints do have a very good shot at going 16-0 by the way. Looking at their schedule, if they can beat NE and the Cowboys, then they have an excellent shot at going undefeated. That is until they meet Min.)

11. By james bakonyi on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

IT ALWAYS MAKES ME LAUGH WHEN SOMEONE BRINGS UP PERFORMANCES THAT HAPPENED IN THE 1960S’AND 1970’AS A GAUGE TO WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IN 2009.THIS VIKING TEAM IS VERY GOOD AND WITH A HEALTHY TEAM AND EXPERIENCED QB IT CAN COMPETE WITH ANY NFL TEAM,YES I MEAN ANY (COLTS,SAINTS,ETC).THEREFORE WE HAVE HOPE AND THAT’S MORE THAN THE VIKES HAD 3 YEARS AGO

12. By Vikings Fan from Afar on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

The running game and defense need to step up.

You can’t ride a 40-year-old to the Super Bowl.

The Vikings need to get Favre some extended break time on second halves. Go up 28-0 by halftime and let Favre relax on the sideline, watching Jackson and Rosenfels hone their skills.

13. By purple08 on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

i don’t think the saints will 16-0. i saw some things last night against the falcons. i still think the Pats, Colts, Steelers and Vikes are the top 4 teams in league.

14. By Donald Thompson on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

I am quite knowledgable about football.That the Vikings going 11-5 is quite possible. The next three games at the Metro Dome are no lock for the Vikings. I can see them beating the Lions but defeating the Seattle Sea Hawks and the Bears is ify. Sometimes a good team like the Vikings takes a weaker team lighly, thinking all they need to do is show up to win. That kind of thinking creates big upsets. This is why the old saying is true, “a weak team can beat a strong team on any given Sunday”.
    Those of you on this blog who are hollering and screaming at me, calling me all kinds of names- I am a Viking fan just like you, and I hope the Vikings go 15-1. However, I also want to be realistic. I have looked at the schdule long before the season began, and I predicted the Vikings would have problems winning the second half.

I question that Adrian Peterson is the best running back in football because of his lack of consistency. I feel that Chuck Foreman was a better running back than Peterson. Chuck was not able to break the big runs as Peterson, but he could cosistently give you four to six yards a good share of the time when he got the ball. When the Vikings needed a first down on short yardage they would give the ball to Foreman, and he very seldom let them down. Look at all the Super Bowls the Vikings were in back in the seventies’.

The Vikings must go to Chester Taylor more in order to go to the Super Bowl. Chester Taylor is not one dimensional. Give the ball to Chester Taylor more!

Use Peterson but not 80% of the time. You critics will see how right I am when the season is through. No! I do not see the Vikings beating New Orleans nor Indianapolis in a Super Bowl, but for those of you who think I am anti- Vikings, I hope it happens! I hope Brett Favre finally brings a Super Bowl victory to Minnesota! A lot has to go right for that to happen. One of the keys is bringing a healthy Antoine Winfield back on the field. Does anyone agree?

Donald Thompson

15. By dmac32 on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

The bye week couldn’t come at a better time. I don’t see us going 15-1, either, but, 13-3 sounds good to me. I think that the Vikings secondary looks exposed more than most, because of our ability to stop the run and ability to jump out to big leads. Also, we need to be able to maintain the pressure from the front four for 60 minutes. I think that the Saints will probably go 15-1, with their loss being New england. The Saints can be beaten…Atlanta had several opportunities last night. New Orleans CANNOT stop the run, and that is our specialty. Also, Drew Brees can’t handle a constant pass rush. I see alot of good things from our boys, but I’ll temper my excitement, because I’ve been a Vikings fan long enough to know our history. I think that that’s what Mr. Thompson is trying to say.

16. By rap99 on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

DONALD, alot has to go right for every team that wins the superbowl. FAVRENOTACCEPTED, if u think games against CHI are gimmies, your nuts! PURPLE08 i was against favre on the vikes also, partly because of hatred, i also wanted the vikes to get a good young QB who could be here for a few years, but when that was not going to happen, and we were going with TJ, i quickly changed my mind. he has played better then i could have wished. i didn’t expect this much from harvin so soon!

17. By ColtNavy51 on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

Some are concerned about the defense against the pass.

True, they do give up some yards, but they also don’t give up that many points in the red zone. They are STINGY in the Red Zone, and this stat is compelling!

This team has a great offense, a very good defense, and plays great on Special Teams. It is the mesh of the three that will propel them to wherever they go, and I think they have a great shot at the SB.

They believe in themselves, and they believe in winning, and it shows.

18. By james bakonyi on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

I HAVE BEEN A FAN OF THE VIKINGS FOR 40 YEARS.I’VE SEEN A LOT OF GOOD TO VERY GOOD BACKS PLAY FOR THE VIKES FORMAN BEING ONE OF THE BEST BUT I THINK AS LONG AS PETERSON STAYS HEALTHY AND ON THE STRAIGHT AND NARROW HE WILL GO DOWN AS ONE OF THE GREATEST IN THE ECHELON OF WALTER PEYTON AND EARL CAMPBELL!

19. By Viking-ology on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

The bye comes at a great time. The Vikes are getting stronger and more confident each week. Favre has made everyone around him on offense better, and gives the defense confidence that they can score. They are a force to be reckoned with. GO VIKINGS!!!

20. By Donald Thompson on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

Shirely:

How can you be so sure the Vikings are going to the Super Bowl this year? Has any team gone to the Super Bowl with a forty year old quarter back?

Donald Thompson

21. By Farvestillnotaccepted on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

rap99- I never said that Chicago was a gimme. Seattle and Detroit are the next two games, both at home, and I do consider them gimmies. However, Donald is right in the fact that i hope Minnesota doesn’t feel that any games are gimmies, because they WILL get beat iif they do not bring it 100%. That’s why they keep letting these huge leads slide away. They get complacent and it kills me watching it happen (that Baltimore game almost gave me a heart attack, thank god we do not have to face them again.)
    What I said about Chicago is that the Vikings beat them the majority of the time, especially at home, and this is the strongest Vikings team we have had in a while, so I have high hopes for the rest of the season.
    I do feel the same as you towards Farve in the fact that my hatred for him made me furious that he landed in Minnesota, of all the places to go, at the beginning of the year. He is obviously playing good, but I have hated the Packers with a passion my whole life, and being the stubborn person that I am, it may just take a Superbowl visit to change my mind about him.

And DONALD, you said that a weak team can beat a strong team on any given Sunday but you say that the vikings cannot beat the Saints when the time comes? Hmm… I have enough faith in this particular team to overcome the saints, as amazing as they are. The Falcons showed that if you can bring pressure to Brees then you have a chance at stopping him, so with Jared Allen leading the NFL in sacks, that can definitely be done. Plus the Fact that only the Vikings are second in the league in scoring and TD’s, saints being first, i know we can match any numbers they put up. So it’ll all come down to stopping Brees in the fourth quarter, which admittedly, would be a leap of faith to think that they can.

22. By Farvestillnotaccepted on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

Donald- Who cares if any team has ever gone to the superbowl with a 40 year old QB? There is a first time for everything in life!
    Anyways, has there ever been a 40 year old QB playing this good? And with a team that has this much potential? And with one of the best running backs in the game to fall back on?

To say they don’t have a chance is insane. They have been to the NFC Championships in the recent past, but in my opinion they did not have this good of a team, whether it’s on the offensive or defensive side of the ball. Definitely never this good of special teams play.

23. By Viking-ology on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

D.T. stop being so pessimistic! If you are truly a viking fan, then have a little more confidence in the team! I have been a Viking fan since Tarkington also. A lot of us on here has, so we’ve all been through it. This is a new year, feel good about the team until proven otherwise. I like the Vikings chances this year and I think they have a good chance to win it all.

24. By Donald Thompson on Nov 4, 2009 | Reply

Viking-Ology:

I am not being pessimistic towards the Vikings but realistic. When I hear all this talk about the Vikings going to the Super Bowl I cannot help but think of their past history. They have not been to the Super Bowl since 1977, yet they have had a number of chances since then to get in, but have failed. It broke my heart in 1999 when the Vikings were in a great position to go to the Super Bowl, but Gary Anderson missed a chip shot field goal, and the Atlanta Falcons won the game. The 1999 Minnesota Vikings were one of the best teams I have ever seen. Randy Moss and Chris Carter were incredible. Do the Vikings have those kind of receivers today? I am trying to be more confident, but it is hard. Thank you for your input.

Donald Thompson

25. By Fontana Al on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Donald T-Earlier you said that we should be 5-3 if it wasn’t for the missed field goal and the lucky catch against San Francisco.Using that logic then Arizona should be the Superbowl Champs that catch by Santana Holmes was just as impossible as the Greg Lewis catch.Secondly lots of great games are lost by missed field goals.Gary Anderson 1999,Buffalo against Dallas1992 Superbowl wide right remember.Shall I go on.

26. By C Waters on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Why are we complaining and back and forth and up and down. We’re winning. It takes luck,skill,good calls, and chemistry. Who cares if Brett is 40. He still gives this team a chance. Yes, he has a good team around him too.

27. By DONNA on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

DONALD THOMPSON,
    DON’T LOOK AT HIM AS FOURTY YEAR OLD, READ ABOUT HIS RECORD FOR THE LAST16 YEARS OR MORE, THE ONES HE BROKE AND KEEP ON BREAKING, HIS EXPERIENCE, AND ALL OF HIS RECORD IN THE NFL, YOU HAVE SOME READING TO DO UNTIL NEXT GAME….
    GOOD LUCK, GO VIKINGS GO!!!!!!!!!.

28. By DONNA on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

.C WATERS,

YOU PUT IT IN WORDS PERFECT, I WISH I COULD HAVE SAID IT,

THANK YOU, YOU ARE SO RIGHT, GO VIKINGS GO!!!

29. By Donald Thompson on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Donna:

I salute Brett Favre for his incredible performance so far this year. It is absolutely amazing to me that a forty year old body battered by football wars for over sixteen years can function at such a high quality level. If his offensive line can continue to give him protection, and if Antoine Winfield can return soon, it is quite possible that the Vikings could wind up 15-1. My prediction was that they would go 11-5, but I hope I am wrong. It seems a pretty sure bet that the Vikings can beat Seattle and Chicago, but it is no given. If they make as many mistakes as they did in the Detroit game, they may end up on the losing side the next two games. You are high on Shiancoe, and he is good, but Sidney Rice may be the one to take the Vikings to a Superbowl. What a wide receiver! The Vikings need to continue to give the ball to Adrian Peterson, but they also need to give the ball to Chester Taylor more, especially in short yardage situations. When a team cannot convert on fourth down with inches to go to make a first down, they are in trouble. Like I said last time, give the ball to Chester Taylor more! I hope the Viking coaching staff is reading this email.

Donald Thompson