Winfield Working To Get Back For Sunday

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 26, 2009 – 3:54 pm

Just prior to Sunday’s Vikings-Steelers game, a report surfaced that Vikings CB Antoine Winfield may be out for up to 4-6 weeks because of the foot injury he suffered against Baltimore in Week 6. But Winfield, appearing in his weekly radio spot on radio voice of the Vikings and KFAN host Paul Allen’s show, sounded much more optimistic about his chances for a quicker recovery.

“A month? No, no,” Winfield said on KFAN, per the Star Tribune. “That’s too long. I’m day-to-day. If there’s a chance for me to get out there Sunday, I will be out there.”

As the Star Tribune pointed out, Winfield was at Winter Park early this morning continuing to treat his foot.

“I’m working as hard as I can [and doing] whatever I have to do to get back on the field,” Winfield said.

Winfield also said that they would be smart about him making a return, noting that he wanted to “be right” and not do anything that would jeopardize his status for future games this season.

Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress was asked about Winfield during his normal day-after-the-game press conference on Monday and he said the decision on Winfield’s return was a collaborative effort.

“It’s kind of a collaborate deal,” Childress said. “It’s the player, it’s the doctors, it’s the training staff. And then can you do the things that are specific to your position. Then you put all those things together. I don’t have x-ray vision and I’m not a trainer. But I do know what I see when somebody moves around out here [in practice].”

Childress has said on a couple of occasions that he’ll never rule Winfield completely out because he’s seen the CB make it to Sunday and play in spite of injuries that would’ve kept other players out.

Winfield’s status for Sunday’s game will remain in question for the week leading up to Sunday’s game against the Packers. For obvious competitive reasons, the Vikings and Winfield will be pretty mum on his progress. If Winfield is unable to play on Sunday against Green Bay, he’ll get another week of recovery time next week because the Vikings have a bye. If that scenario unfolds, it’ll be just short of a month between the time Winfield injured his foot and the Vikings Week 10 game against the Lions at Mall of America Field at the HHH Metrodome.

Tags:

8 Responses to “Winfield Working To Get Back For Sunday”

1. By FAVRETURN on Oct 26, 2009 | Reply

7-0 INSTEAD 6-1 WERE WAS FAVRE’S HEART? RICE AND PETERSON WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH THERE HEART INTACKED THIS WAS ARE GAME WE GAVE IT AWAY TOO THE STEELERS WE COULD HAVE WON FOR SURE C.TAYLOR SHOULD BE BENCHED THE “D”FENCE WAS GOOD THATS FOR SURE OFFENCE STINKED FAVRE SHOULD HAVE PASSED TOO A.P.OR RICE AT THE END ZONE RICE WAS ON FIRE WE NEED WINFIELD WE ALL KNOW HES A LEADER TOO LETS FIGHT THESE PACKERS AND GET A WIN IM HUNGRY FOR A WIN AND SOO ARE THE VIKINGS LETS DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME AND PUT ARE HEADS TOGETHER WITH FAVRE IF ANY ONE KNOWS THE PACKERS IT FAVRE LEAD US THIS TIME FAVRE PRACTISE PRACTISE WORK FOR FAVRE CATCH EVERY STRIKE RICE AND PETERSON BEAT THE CHEESEHEADS IN L.FIELD FOR ARE 7-1

2. By Radzinwisconsin on Oct 26, 2009 | Reply

Farveturn, You ask where was Favres heart ? Man you didnt see him dash 45 yards to check on Harvin after taken a helmet to helmet blow, un called by the way, but who am i?

3. By Thomas John Crawford on Oct 26, 2009 | Reply

This is addressed to the mentally challenge so-called vikings fan whose screename is two words blended together mostly likely because he/it can’t spell two words right in a row. I thought about copy/pasting every word you spelled wrong but that would take up the whole page. First, of all “your” team is going to be OK i swear. This was a fluke loss and I dont think it hurt the team’s confidence at all. I guess you’re blind too given your mental condition because Favre definitely sprinted half a football field to check on an injured Harvin. He gained the respect of his teammates on and off the field and that’s definitely evident in the way they’re playing. Second, Chester Taylor missed the catch, dont frickin cry about it. If he ever leaves, I guarantee he”ll be starting for someone else when he does. Favre was only about three yards away and had a defenders’ hand blocking the ball as he threw it. Not saying he shouldn’t have made the catch but give the guy a break. He’ll come out playing just as hard behind adrian next week and I guarantee he’ll have a couple big plays. I can’t believe I’m even defending the Vikings to you but after reading your riciculous blog and getting my three year old daughter to translate, I felt it appropriate to say something. The Vikings ARE (not OUR)fine. If anything, this game prepared them for the postseason.

4. By Joe Hammond on Oct 26, 2009 | Reply

If the foot was broken, he won’t be ready. If that news from the team was a lie, he could be ready. One or the other. Is this a team of liars?

5. By ColtNavy51 on Oct 26, 2009 | Reply

He played VERY Well, and moved the ball. There were a couple of breaks went the Steelers way, or it would have been 7-0.
    They gained the respect of many for their play, and for a fan to question his heart is sad indeed. Must be a new fan who just got out grade school and doesn’t understand the game.
    It is fascinating to talk with fans who watched the game vs. people who just read the press articles.
    Fans enjoyed the game, and love the prospect of the Vikings as they continue to grow and keep getting more people involved. The defense stood tall, and the Vikes will be just fine!

6. By PurplePeopleEater on Oct 26, 2009 | Reply

Joe – Past actions lead me to say yes, they are a team of liars. But I’d prefer to look at it in a more favorable light, and so I’ll compare them to Poker players and call them a team of bluffers. Or maybe we can bring it closer to home and use football terminology, and simply say that they’re acting as the shifty running back trying to juke around the planning of the opponent. Whichever way they decide run, let’s hope that they don’t bring in Antoine before he’s ready.

You might argue that they should push his recovery so that he can help us beat the Packers, because we have a bye-week afterwards followed by 2 cupcake teams, giving him ample time to heal up afterwards. Just don’t push him too hard because we’ll have need for Antoin’s skills and leadership against Chicago and the final stretch of the season, and we’ll want him as close to 100% as possible for those matchups.

7. By Candyman on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

I thought the Vikings played great considering the few missed oppurtunities for them and all the pre snap fouls called against them. That 1st and goal on the 1 yard line that ended in a field goal needs to be corrected if they intend on making it far in the playoffs. I wanted to comment that some of the replacements for Winfield did step up and make some plays, although it is hard to make up for a pro bowl player. I look forward to the bye week to see what the second half of the season has in store and a healthy Winfield.

8. By AussieViking on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

I think Childress said it best, they were in a winning position when it counted. I thought they got better as the game went on in a pretty intense environment. Short term-long term. I agree with Mr Crawford that this loss won’t have hurt them at all, a botched screen can be got right in practise, that tripping penalty won’t be called 9/10 times and we’re in the endzone then aren’t we?

The Packers game…this is the one that’s going to show what we’ve got…go vikes!