Childress Pleased With Team’s Preparation, Attitude

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 19, 2009 – 3:29 pm

Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress had his usual day-after-the-game press conference with reporters on Monday, as he reviewed his team’s 33-31 victory over the Baltimore Ravens.

As he reflected back on the game and the week of preparation leading up to the game, Childress said he was pleased with how his group prepared.

“I thought the coaches and players did a great job of game-planning that particular opponent,” Childress said. “I thought our guys did a great job preparation-wise for a team that’s heavy in the blitz. By and large that offensive line, tight ends, running backs, that whole group did a great job of keeping the quarterback fairly clean because it can be a confusing defense to block.”

Baltimore came into Sunday’s game as the 4th-ranked run defense but the Vikings were able to tally 167 yards rushing on 31 attempts, including a 143-yard effort from Adrian Peterson on 22 carries. QB Brett Favre also had an effective day, completing 21 of 29 pass attempts for 278 yards and 3 TDs.

The Vikings scored TDs on their opening 2 series and then held Baltimore scoreless until K Steven Hauschka split the uprights on a 29-yard try as time expired in the 2nd quarter. Although the Vikings weren’t able to muster any more points after their quick 14-0 start in the 1st quarter, Childress said from an offensive, defensive and special teams standpoint, Sunday’s 1st half was the best half of football the Vikings had registered all season.

The Ravens 2nd-half surge and then the Vikings subsequent comeback victory have been well-chronicled. And although Childress was pleased with his team’s preparation for the game, the 1st half performance and of course the 33-31 victory, he and his team know there are plenty of corrections to make as they prepare for another tough contest this weekend against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“And I guess that’s the thing that’s particularly gratifying; our group is never satisfied,” Childress said. “There’s a bunch of guys in there right now that are anxious to look at that tape if they haven’t already snuck a look at it; some of them can’t help themselves. But it’s (the locker room) filled with guys that want to get better.

“I just think they’ll continue to improve and I’m happy to be on the right side of that. It was a tremendous battle. It’s a pretty good offensive and defensive group there (in Baltimore) and good to win that football game. (We) have to put it in a box and move on to another good football game this week.”

21 Responses to “Childress Pleased With Team’s Preparation, Attitude”

1. By Vikings Fan from Afar on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

Chester Taylor must have been happy to beat his former team.

He had a good day, including a 10-yard run for a first down.

Taylor adds a lot to team. His versatility and threat on the ground keeps defenses honest. CT just gets it done.

2. By purplehorn on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

I wish we could get Taylor in more. I heard somebody spouting off about Miami having the best running back tandem in the league. I admit that Williams and Brown are very good, but I think the versatility of Taylor and power of A.P. makes them a better tandem.

3. By butkus fan on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

Vikings are the luckest team in football.

4. By butkus fan on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

Vikings are set up for a reality check. Wait till they play a real team and look out 40 year old QB and a running back that leaves himself wide open for injury. Its going to happen its just a matter of time. There is nothing you can do about it.

5. By butkus fan on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

If you watch or have played much football you can always tell the type of running backs that just won’t make it long in the game. Don’t get me wrong AP is one of the best I have ever seen but he struggles way to long with defensive players fighting for a few extra yards. Its going to cost him dearly. It will be a bad day for the Vikings.

6. By Favrefan on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

butkus fan, the Ravens were the first real test for them and they ended up winning the game against them. IDC if you say they got lucky with that missed FG, but they dominated from the first quarter through halfway through the 4th quarter. The Steelers are next and i already know its going to become an offensive battle, and as of now, the Vikings are better than the steelers offensively.

7. By vikingfan1955 on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

I don’t listen to haters so buckus can chill.We played a good team that has had some bad breaks.The have offense and defense and I tip my hat to them.In the past I have heard how we always choke and lose the close games but now we win them and are called lucky.Yeah right.I say this team doesn’t give this yr thats wht we win.I say we have a qb that knows the game thats why we win.We have the best running backs,real good recievers,hutchinson,and allan are beasts thats why we win.No when we beat the steelers we will still here excuses why we win.Look we are 6-0 and we have played 3 good teams,the niners,ravens,and gb.So say what u want we put fear in teams hearts go vikes.

8. By PAVikesFan on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

I’d take AP no other way. As Ray Lewis said “he plays the game the right way”…I kniw he wont last more than 8 years or so, but that’s who he is, and if he didn’t run like he does, then you could take half of highlight reels and throw them out b/c his running style made those runs, not to mention the single-game rushing record of 295. He plays football the right way my man

9. By Viking-ology on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Favre said we were fortunate to win. Every team needs a little luck through the season, but fortunate means- we won the game, thats all that matters. Great job Favre, Way to go Sidney Rice. Looking foward to next game, knowing week in , week out, we always have a chance to win. GO VIKES!!!!!!!!

10. By govikings on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Im guessing Butkus Fan is a bears die hard. I remember a great bear runner who ran angry and fight for every yard(god bless his soul). All Day have all the right tools to be great. Speed, vision, agility, strength and most importantly the unquenchable desire to fight for every yard. He may or may not be a 15 year running back, but by the end of the day.. he will be one of the greatest. I tell you what, these vikings games are something great!! Im recording it all for my kids to watch when they get older. Go Vikes! Keep the good time rolling.

11. By PurplePeopleEater on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

I’m rather worried about next week. Granted Pitt isn’t as good as they were last year (almost lost to the 0-6 Titans) they still have a monstrous defense that can cripple the guys on the other side of the ball. Percy and AP are battling injuries right now, and a single loss would be much better than losing these two for half the season. I say play it safe with the injured guys and bring in some of the backups to fill in for at least a decent portion of the game. We have enough leaders/playmakers on the team to still rally together and give a good showing in Steel City.

12. By ibleedpurple on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

I have to say I am with you PPE. As much as I would love to go into Steel City and win (and MAN would I love that), a win there just is not that important. I would much rather rest my injured starters and potentially lose an Interconference game, and then go into a not only Conference game…but a DIVISIONAL game and kick ***. And THEN go into a bye week with and a win and a dominating lead in the Division. Wouldn’t that just be awesome…go into cheese head city, destroy GB, command the Division, and go into a bye ready to come back and make a run to The Show? Yeah….

13. By dmac32 on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

I have to agree with PPE as well. Our team is really banged up and maybe we do need to risk resting some players against Pitt. I hate saying that because my best bud is a Steelers fan, but two of our next three games are against division foes. If we win those two, we’d be 4-0 in division with only two games vs. Chi.
    Call me crazy, but I can see our boys playing the role of Atlanta in 1998. New Orleans is this high powered, high flying offense, who should lead the league in scoring, have the league’s best record, and probably have the league’s MVP. I like the fact that NO is being put on this pedestal, because it’s less pressure on our team. Remember, in 1998, Atlanta was 14-2, and not given any chance to advance. I do hope that we can shore up our pas-sing D…the Ravens killed us yesterday on screen plays. The reason that game was so close was that the Vikes let up off the gas. Hopefully that was a learning experience, and the fact that we’re winning and still have things to coach the team up on bodes well for our playoff run.

14. By Vikings1 on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

I too am concerned about our secondary against the Steelers because Rothlisberger passed for over 400 yards against the Browns.and w/o Winfield, I am truly afraid that our secondary will be our Achilles heel. Unless the D-line can put a lot of pressure on Rothlisberger, it could be a very long day. Childress is talking about fixing the problems, what is he going to do get new players, hope he is right and the problems can be fixed!

15. By PackCat on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

If he plans on getting new players, he better hurry. He has until midnight today before the trading deadline closes.

16. By Canadian vikes fan on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

While ibleedpurple makes great points, that’s not really the right mentality. Never go into a football game saying “well this game doesn’t really matter we can lose this one”. You play to win the game. It is a good idea to give them a little less of a work load, but I don’t think we should rest them for a good portion of the game unless we get a big lead. This week, I don’t know what to expect. I wouldn’t be devastated with a loss, but the Vikings need to put up a good game regardless. If the Vikings come out and lay an egg against that crushing defence then everyone will start talking about how overrated we are, and it could be bad for confidence. Win or lose, I’m looking for the Vikings to prove that they are a great team and a contender.

17. By ibleedpurple on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Canadian…excellent point. I absolutely agree. We absolutely agree we need to go into this game with the “play to win” mentality. I merely point out that this would be an excellent time to rest the injured starters and let the backups show us what they’ve got to offer. There are those who are screaming for TJ time. Let him play a game and show us he absolutely is the future of this team. Let Asher Allen, Paymah, or Sapp start for Antoine and let them show us their stuff. Give Chester Taylor and Albert Young more carries. AP can still play, just give the other guys a chance to carry the load for a while. The same thing with Jaymar Johnson and Darius Reynaud. They’ve shown already they can step up. Let Percy give that shoulder a rest. I believe that as a team, we’ve got some incredible weapons deep into our depth chart. Give the starters a bit of a breather on a game that means little when it comes to winning the Division and Conference. I don’t expect the team to drop its motivation one iota for this game. I’m merely suggesting a different strategy in order to succeed long term.

18. By PackCat on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

ibp – would you at least let Favre start and play a few snaps… why bother to come back, other than to keep his streak alive and going. Everything else is just gravy.

19. By PAVikesFan on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

I like a lot of ur points, however, “let TJ play a game”???U cant be serious…on so many levels that’s the worst thing to do…Favre is still developing chemistry with his teammates, he has to be in there battling with them week in week out, it’s not fair to the rest of the team…Herm Edwards: “you play to win the game”…he has to be in the foxhole leading our guys each week…I would say to work in Chester a little more, AP needs to be healthy come playoff time, but we do have a bye week in 2 weeks, so, u still have to run him…do u rest Percy?…Maybe, see how he heals by Friday…He’s tough, though…I like what he showed by playing last week and playing hard, he’s not a prima donna it appears.

20. By ibleedpurple on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

I love it, bring up TJ and you are guaranteed a debate. Let me make myself clear. I am NOT a TJ fan, and I definitely DO support Favre. I love what he has brought to this team. And I agree with you PAVF. As I was writting that piece above I was thinking ‘Why not have Brett play the 1st quarter and then let TJ run the remainder?’ I’m very cool with that. I’d be cool to let Brett go the whole game. I just want him fresh when he goes to Green Bay. I want to see him go back to the city that loved him for 16 yrs before cutting his throat and tossing him out…and EAT THEM ALIVE. That game is just too important for the team, and for Brett. As for Percy…I too was impressed. I think we’ve got a marquee player in the making.

21. By vikingsfan1955 on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

I hate this topic of t-jack because he is a good qb and will lead us in the future.I say if we get a big lead in the first half put him in.He has tried his best and yes he has been up and down but after geeting the job back he was greatly on the up swing.Lets see if it was real.He has a graet arm and can move very well.I too want to see favre go to gb and do what he did to them last time.Trust me ppl t-jack will make believers of u next yr.If u think he won’t learn from favre look at rodgers.