Childress, Favre Remain Measured In 5-0 Start

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 12, 2009 – 1:52 pm

The Vikings raced past the Rams in a 38-10 win on Sunday and afterwards QB Brett  Favre said this Vikings team is the best he’s ever played on. And Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress said he was happy with how his team was “about their business” in preparing for and playing against St. Louis.

But don’t confuse Childress and Favre for a pair of huff and puffers in light of their team’s 5-0 start. While their surely pleased to be 5-0, both men know there’s a lot of season left and many improvements to be made.

“It’s the first time in my career I’m 5-0,” Favre said after the game. “I’m very proud of that and this team. It hasn’t come without adversity and we’ll continue to face adversity, week in and week out.”

And that’s where Favre inserted that he knows there are corrections to make offensively.

“There’s no doubt for anyone who watches us, the guys in that room, that we can be a lot better in all three phases and specifically, offensively,” Favre explained.

The QB is right. After driving 80 yards on 9 plays to take an early 7-0 lead, here’s how the next 4 Vikings offensive possessions went: 3-and-out, punt; 4 plays, 16 yards – INT; 5 plays, 27 yards – FG; 5 plays, 31 yards – end of half.

That’s not exactly chewing up yardage.

“But that just proves there are a lot of areas to improve on,” Favre said, “and if we do that, just improve on a few areas each week (there’s no telling) how good we can be. Now, it only gets tougher from here on out.  But, it’s a good start.”

Asked during his postgame press conference to elaborate how he feels about his team in light of the 5-0 start, Childress shied away from blanket praise for past performances and instead focused on what needs to happen moving forward.

“Just to continue to evolve and try to improve,” Childress said. “I grade them on how they play and they have been on the right side of the scoreboard. That is the name of the game. There is always cleaning up work, you never arrive. The one thing I like about this team is that they always come with the effort to listen and see what they need to do better to improve.”

16 Responses to “Childress, Favre Remain Measured In 5-0 Start”

1. By ImagineThat on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

The truth is EGO is a team killer. Look at the biggest EGO in the NFL. T.O. How about those bills.

2. By Ben on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

“While their surely pleased to be 5-0, both men know there’s a lot of season left and many improvements to be made.”

What is happening to journalism today??? “Their surely pleased” Surely you meant “They’re” as in, They Are?

Man oh man

3. By Kevin Wilson on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

Thank you, Ben. You got to it before I did. That drives me nuts, and it’s so unnecessary if you just break it down as you did (contraction for “they are”). A close second for me it “it’s” and “its”, followed by any misuse of apostrophes. It’s grammar abuse is what it is!

4. By Kevin Wilson on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

Yeah, okay. I had a typo in my post (“it” instead of “is”). Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be either an edit or a delete option. So, feel free to unload on me.

5. By greenwayfan on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

It is exciting to finally see the offensive weapons that we have on this team being showcased. Everyone knew that all it would take is a quality QB to elevate the stats for our WRs and TEs but to see it on the field is extremely satisfying.

6. By ScoldVikings on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

Completly unrealted, but I saw some marked improvement from T-Jack in that final scoring drive. It might have just been a miracle moment, but I like the implications of perhaps some serious depth to this team as well.

7. By JB on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

Oh my god, are we seriously talking about grammar here? This is not English class, he made a statement, stfu and let’s talk about the topic here. Go Vikings, keep rolling strong and I pray you all stay healthy and finsih the season as strong as possible Lombardi Trophy or not I know you guys will play your heart out.

8. By MR.ECLIPSE #4 on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

WHAT HAPPEN TO THE VIKINGS L.LEAP INTO THE PACKER FANS I WOULD LOVE MORE THEN ANYTHING TO SEE FAVRE WARE THE PURPLE PANTS AND THE PURPLE JERSEY DO THE L.LEAP INTO THE PACKER LAND IT WILL DRIVE THEM CRAZY GO FAVRE GO WIN US ARE FIRST SUPER BOWL RINGS ON YOUR PURPLE RING IT WILL HAVE NUMBER #4 ON IT AND MINNESOTA VIKINGS BLINGING TO THE STARS TO THE MOST HIGHEST GO VIKES GO

9. By PurplePeopleEater on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

It’s a valid point JB. It’s one thing for uneducated bloggers to make mistakes in their posts, and quite another for a paid journalist to do the same. Even if it was a simple mistake, it is one that would have been caught by any spell checker the instant it was typed.

10. By Viking-ology on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

I like the fact that they are resting Favre, Peterson and other starters when the game is in hand. Avoid injury keep them fresh. They are in it for the long haul, one game at a time indeed. Keep the motor running- Go VIKES!!!

11. By PAVikesFan on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

400 yards of offense given up to the Rams…had they not turned the ball over, they could have very well beaten us. got to get our running game going, especially since we have baltimore and pittsburgh coming up, 2 physical teams. Things are good, but we can still definitely improve in a lot of areas.

12. By Brownicus on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

I guess I’ll take that as a good sign if after a game the biggest topic is a grammar mistake.

13. By CA Norwegian on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

The win was great, but the opponent was not. Better be ready for the Ravens. We can win but I doubt we can live off turnovers against them. Brett better get out the pinpoint passing and work on the ball control so the D gets more rest. NO one should question if he can throw it down the field now. Play time of possession for this one and the next.

14. By Kevin Wilson on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

Well, I think the style of play, the game plan, obviously changes based on the opponent, the situation, and the way the game plays out. Sure, we’d all like to see Adrian Peterson get his 100+ yards per game. But if the opposing defense stacks 8 men in the box, it’s not going to happen. That being the case, you throw the ball. I agree, it’s nice if you can keep the Vikings D off the field more, but you take what they give you. If the defensive secondary covers the sidelines and endzone in the final two minutes, you have to play the the middle of the field. That’s the nice thing about having a lot of weapons, and a lot of dimensions to your team. If the run’s not working, you have Favre throw. If the coverage won’t let him throw quick slants and dump the ball off short, throw the long ball. If the defense takes away the passing game, give the ball to AD. And if the other team is turning the ball over, you take that gift and cash it in! That 400 yards of Rams offense means nothing if they run up and down the field but can’t score. The turnover ratio should not be an overlooked stat. It’s a fact. They turned the ball over. The didn’t control the line of scrimmage in the redzone on offense or defense. Ultimately, the only stat that matters is the score.

15. By optimisticskeptic on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

“had they not turned the ball over, they could have very well beaten us.” lol. had they scored more points and been perfect at everything…well, the game would have been closer, but the Vikes still would have won. but, this brings up a good point I wanted to post: Favre and the receivers have missed like 5 or 6 deep shots where the receiver has a step or two on the deep man, 50+ yard bombs that would have went for TDs, and would have made all the games bigger blowouts. if they improve only in this one area, we’re talking both an offense and defense ranked in the top 5, and that’s an unbeatable combo. Go vikes!

16. By Vikings1 on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

I would love to see the Vikings run some plays like the Dolphins ran against the jets last night in the wildcat formation. Even with all of the hype the Jet’s defense has received, Miami ran all over them using the wildcat formation. I don’t know if Harvin can pass but wouldn’t it be nice if he could out of the wildcat. We need new wrinkles in our running game and this could be just the weapons we need to utilize Harvin, AP, and Taylor more effectively.