Favre: Fans Were “Awesome”

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 6, 2009 – 10:31 am

The atmosphere inside Mall of America Field at the HHH Metrodome last night was electric from about 30 minutes prior to kickoff all the way through the end of the game. The buildup and hype kept building leading up to kickoff and the game remained close until the end, which kept the crowd loud and involved.

It appeared most of the crowd was standing for literally the whole game, and there were numerous times when the crowd noise was deafening as the Packers offense was at work. It all created an appropriate atmosphere considering the circumstances surrounding this game – a Monday night game between rivals Minnesota and Green Bay with the Vikings undefeated and QB Brett Favre under center.

It was an atmosphere that CB Antoine Winfield compared to the playoffs and it was one that caused Favre to mention it during his post-game press conference.

“Our fans were awesome tonight; I’m telling you, that place was rocking the whole night,” Favre said. “And I know what it’s like to be on the other side. It’s pretty tough.”

Monday night’s thrilling conclusion will only help build the hype that will surround the next Vikings-Packers game, which will be played at Lambeau Field on Sunday, November 1. That game will allow Favre to come full-circle in the Vikings-Packers rivalry. After that game, Favre will have been on the home team and visiting team at both Mall of America Field/Metrodome and Lambeau Field.

Favre’s experience in Green Bay and in this rivalry lead him to realize that the atmosphere the teams enjoyed on Monday night in Minneapolis will be matched by fans in Green Bay on the 1st day of November.

“I’ve been able to see the good Lambeau and the good and the bad here,” Favre said. “It was awesome here tonight. That was a great environment tonight and it will be in several weeks (when the teams play at Lambeau).”

9 Responses to “Favre: Fans Were “Awesome””

1. By purplehorn on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

All phases were firing and fired up. Brett Favre has added a spark to this team. The talent has been building up for years and Favre’s enthusiasm is rubbing off. Must stay focused because it is a long season. Still sweet to be 4-0 or 40 huh, “old man “? I think it would be best for the Packers organization to move on without you Brett. That’s thinking with your dip stick Teddy….ssssshhhwwiiiickkk .

Still trying to figure out what the unidentified female sports reporter was asking Favre post game about Packers fans grumbling about Favre’s playing for the Vikings was like seeing your old girlfriend with one of your old enemies, or something like that. Did you catch Brett’s facial expression? HUH?

2. By sherry peterson on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

Just wanted to comment about the “awesome” vikings fans. I was born and raised in Wisconsin and am a Packer fan. I now reside in Minnesota. I spent a lot of cash to go to the Vikes-Pack game last night. I was thoroughly disappointed. I have never been so disrespected in my life. Minnesota nice??? Not only did we have empty beer bottles thrown at us, fans swore at us, and one even put her hands on me as we were walking out after the game. Really ?? I am not a confrontational person and I can tell you that I will never ever ever go to the dome again for another event. I was so shaken up that I had to have a gentleman seated near us walk us out. I could not believe it. If this is the way that the fans in Minnesota show their sportsmanship, they can have it !

3. By Lee on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

If Sherry is reporting it correctly, there is no excuse for that. None. And I’m a passionate Vikings fan. Just as inexcusable was some bar in Eau Claire having a Burn Farve Memoribalia Event at half time of the game. Talk about breeding hate! and we wonder why the world and our children are the way they are sometimes. Learned hatred! Shame on you!

What a game! Everyone on the field took the high road. Bring it on and everyone do the best the can at the moment. Both Brett and Aaron were class acts. Very Class Acts. Anyone would be lucky to be associated with them.

4. By gunner bob on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

that’s unfortunate sherry was treated badly. HOWEVER.. a couple bad apples don’t make Minnesota a bad, place/team. I’m quite sure you wouldn’t see a darn word about her night had “they” (packers) won. I’m quite certain, had anyone, thrown empty beer bottles at her, someone would have called security and had them arrested. So nice try there. Just face it. You lost the game, you lost Favre and now you can go cry yourself to sleep. If that truly did happen…. Next time call security, with tens of thousands of people you have to expect a few bad apples to be there. The Eagles stadium has a fricken jail and court room RIGHT IN THE STADIUM.. Now tell me who’s the bad team. –SNIFFLE, SNIFFLE–

5. By BleedPurp on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

Would it have been any different if we showed up at lambeu wearing purple? I think not.

6. By Shawn on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

Just wanted to let you guys know that sherry is my mom who i went with and we DID have bottles thrown at us and we WERE hassled. Maybe we WOULD HAVE contacted security if they were somewhere to be found. I did not see any security at the times it happened, and i barely saw any the whole time i was there in general.
    Quite frankly, i think it’s stupid and irresponsible to have hard liquor sold at these games. Alot of people were getting out of hand, acting disrespectful, and not to mention, how many of them drove home last night?
    It should be noted that they were a few in a majority, which is sometimes all it takes to take away from the experience. The game itself was awesome and intense. And the people around us were respectful and still joked around with us. That ADDED to the experience.
    But seriously, after the money spent on those tickets, having beer bottles thrown for the jerseys we were wearing is absolutely ridiculous, immature, and unsportsmanlike.

7. By PurplePeopleEater on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

I understand where you’re coming from Shawn & Sherry, but you seem to be blowing things a little out of proportion. I still think that it is shameful that this happened to you, but these were plastic beer bottles, so I doubt they caused any physical harm, just massive disrespect. I have heard similar and worse stories about how Vikings fans are treated at Lambeau. It’s just one of those things that you need to be aware is bound to happen at these rivalry games.

8. By Sherry on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

Thank you Lee. I agree with you. I am completely and utterly embarrassed about the burning of the jerseys. I do and always will have respect for Brett. I will never take away from the man what he has earned in all of his years in football. That is part of the reason I went to the game. These ARE two amazing quarterbacks. Some of the comments made by others though, seem to suggest we would do the same. I do not condone ANY TYPE OF VIOLENCE…whether it be throwing beer bottles (plastic or not), to anyone physically putting their hands on me at ALL. I would feel the same at Lambeau field if it happened to you. There is NO EXCUSE for that type of behavior. It would have made no difference to me if the Packers had won. Mostly, I went for the experience. Like previously indicated…there were several fans right around us that were great. Wish they could have all been like that. I’m sorry…maybe i’m a little old fashioned, but I guess I still believe the “do onto others” applies and I try to live my life in that manner.

9. By Mary Jane on Oct 7, 2009 | Reply

I think the Favre events in Wisconsin were terrible. I’m a Packer fan but I more of a Brett Favre Fan. I think Favre was shoved aside in Green Bay and he’s just a man that wants to do his job. He gave 16 years of great talent to the Packers; where is the respect for all of that talent. People who are true football fans and appreciate the game would never disrespect someone who gave so many years of talent to a team no matter where he goes. Shame on all those fans that showed such disrespect. GO FAVRE!!!