Favre, Legendary Vikings DE Jim Marshall Meet

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 25, 2009 – 1:52 pm

Legendary Vikings DE and Purple People Eater Jim Marshall was at Winter Park on Friday to watch the Vikings practice and meet QB Brett Favre. Last week in Detroit, Favre started his 271st consecutive game and broke the NFL record for consecutive starts that was set by Marshall.

The Vikings will have their home opener on Sunday and Marshall will sound the Gjallarhorn as well as be an honorary Vikings team captain. He’ll join Vikings team captains at midfield for the pregame coin toss. Both Marshall and Favre will also be recognized for the consecutive starts record.

Still the record holder for consecutive games played (280), Marshall observed Favre and the Vikings from the sidelines as they practiced indoors due to the rainy weather.

“I wouldn’t have wanted anyone else to break it,” Marshall said. “I have a lot of respect for the way Brett has played the game and still plays the game. He is good for football.”

Marshall compared Favre to Johnny Unitas in terms of leadership qualities and the ability to drive an offense down the field at crucial points in the game. Marshall also noted Favre’s work ethic, saying it reminded him of his own work ethic that was instilled in him by his father when he was a young boy.

“I would’ve been proud to play with Brett if he had been around back in the days when I played,” Marshall said. “He has my kind of work ethic.”

While he was watching practice, the entire Vikings defensive line, including defensive line coach Karl Dunbar, came over to him and shook his hand. It was a unique scene, watching Marshall converse with the Vikings defensive line and also watching players such as Jared Allen and Kevin and Pat Williams listen intently to every word Marshall said.

“The Vikings have the best defense in football,” Marshall later told me. “I’m just so proud of our defense, I really am. It reminds me of our playing days.”

Tags: , , , ,

19 Responses to “Favre, Legendary Vikings DE Jim Marshall Meet”

1. By VIKINGS PURPLE PANTS on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

WHAT HAPPEN TO THE CANNONS SOUNDING OFF WHEN EVERYTIME WE MAKE A TOUCHDOWN AND HARVIN BETTER RUN UP AND JUMP IN THE VIKINGS FANS SPLASH (IN THE PURPLE NATION)GO FAVRE GO

2. By VIKINGS PURPLE PANTS on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

AND MEXICANS VIKINGS

3. By gatoraide on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

Jim Marshall and Brett Favre, two of the many reasons Football has a Hall Of Fame. THANKS ,Guys, for the years of enjoyment you give us on how the game should be played, goal line to goal linw!

4. By rebgirl on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

Mr. Marshall,
    If you are reading this, you are one classy guy. Would have been great to see you and Favre play together. The glory of your playing days will always be remembered!

Rebgirl

5. By Cecil Mittelstadt on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

I have been a Vikings fan since Joe Kapp and I think Favre will take us all the way.

6. By Vikings Fan from Afar on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

Terrific article. Thank you. I remember when Jim Marshall was honored when he retired. What a nice bookend this weekend will be. I hope Marshall comes back later in the season when the 280 game streak comes into play.

7. By Vikings Fan from Afar on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

One more thing. Jim Marshall should be enshrined in the Canton in the Hall of Fame.

8. By HANK on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

jim marshall was great de on a great defense and deserves all the accolades we can give him

9. By singledad39 on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

put jim marshall in the hall of fame

10. By andy on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

Jim Marshall you are awesome. Very classy to come out for the Vikings and Favre. Favre, lead us home for Jim !

11. By Robert on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

Viking’s organization should GIVE every FAN a CARD to HOLD-UP stating JIM MARSHALL H.O.F. PLEASE-this year is his YEAR finaly?.

12. By THE PURPLE FLOOD on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

FAVRE AND RANDY WHOULD HAVE BEEN NICE BUT HARVIN IS BETTER WAY BETTER GOOD ENOUGH FOR A PURPLE RING!!!!

13. By doug on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

Reminds me of the practice I attended in the seventies and having lunch with Eller,Page,tarkenton,and Bud Grant,The van with astro turf on it and the lincoln,I think one was Carl’s and one was Allen’s .Oh to the good ol’e day’s.Boy my dad would go crazy in front of the tv…

14. By doug on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

I forgot to mention Mr. Marshall !!!!

15. By David L.Yusten on Sep 26, 2009 | Reply

Viking fan forever and a Favre fan You got to love what Bret does and has done for manny years if you love this game. Bret will have a positive effect on this team for manny years to come Long after he is gone. Thanks Bret and go viks.

16. By ScoldVikings on Sep 26, 2009 | Reply

Jim Marshall is a class act guy, and I wish more players today had his calibur. HOPEFULLY Farve can lead the Vikings back to the big game. 0-4 with no apperances in over 20 years is not representative of the Vikings organization.

17. By richard doricchi on Sep 27, 2009 | Reply

GO VIKINGS i have been a viking fan since Ed Marrinaro was the full back for the vikes in 1975 you know there is purple running thru my viens. thank god for the internet so i can hear the games on it. A.P. i love that hard hitting game. but we need you all season so take care of your self. There is no better team out there than the VIKES . purple pride baby thats what im all about

18. By Drwild on Sep 27, 2009 | Reply

Doug, you re
    I remind me of my attempt to beat Joe Capp to down five shots of T to win a glass of water. I was also blessed to attend an after game party at Jim Marshall house and dance the Charlson with jim’s lovely wife. I feel blessed.

19. By zensashenal on Dec 14, 2009 | Reply

Does anyone know why the vikings don’t wear their purple pants anymore?