Each game day 90 minutes prior to kickoff, teams are required to disclose their 8 inactive players and emergency QB. The Vikings inactives are QB Sage Rosenfels, WR Jaymar Johnson, WR Greg Lewis, CB Asher Allen, S Husain Abdullah, LB Erin Henderson, Kory Lichtensteiger and DT Jimmy Kennedy.
There are a couple of changes from last week’s inactives. In Cleveland, DT Letroy Guion was up and Fred Evans was down. This week against the Lions, both Evans and Guion are up but DT Jimmy Kennedy is down. S Jamarca Sanford was also down last week, but this week he’ll be active and will play in his 1st NFL regular season game, while Abdullah will be inactive.
The QB situation will be the same this week as it was in the season-opener. Tarvaris Jackson will backup Favre and Rosenfels will be the emergency QB.
With both Johnson and Lewis inactive, it seems Berrian continues to recover from his hamstring injury and didn’t come away from last week’s game in Cleveland any worse for the wear.
Tags: Bernard Berrian, Fred Evans, Jamarca Sanford, Letroy Guion
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 11 Comments »
Yes, the Lions have a new head coach, a new starting QB and 9 new starters on defense. But they’re also new in another way.
A modified Lions logo and modified “LIONS” lettering appears on the field. The new look is much sleeker…the blue color in the lettering and logo is darker as well.
What does this really have to do with the game or how the teams will perform today? Probably nothing. But it is noticable and much improved from years past.
Posted in All | No Comments »
– RB Adrian Peterson is just the 3rd player in NFL history to open each of his first 3 seasons with a 100+ yard performance in the season opener. Willie Parker (4; 2005-08) and Edgerrin James (3; 1999-2001) are the only other players to have accomplished the feat.
– Peterson also became the 1st player in NFL history to rush for at least 180 yards and 3 TDs on Kickoff Weekend. His 180 yards is a Vikings record for opening day and his 3 TDs set a new team mark for most career games with 3 rushing TDs (Peterson now has 3).
Tags: Adrian Peterson
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 1 Comment »
Here are a few storylines to watch today during the Vikings-Lions game…
– With the start, QB Brett Favre will break the all-time record for the most consecutive starts in NFL history, which Favre currently shares with Jim Marshall at 270.
– With 1 rushing TD, RB Adrian Peterson will move into an 8th place tie for most career rushing TDs as a Viking. Peterson currently ranks 9th with 25 and Leroy Hoard ranks 8th with 26. If Peterson manages to score 3 TDs against as he did last week, he will move into a 7th place tie with Tommy Mason.
– If the Vikings don’t allow a Lions running back to reach 100 rushing yards, it will be the 25th consecutive game the Vikings haven’t given up 100 yards rushing to an individual. The last player to rush for 100 yards against the Vikings was Packers RB Ryan Grant on 11/11/07 (102 yards).
– With 3 points, K Ryan Longwell will move into the top 20 all-time for points scored. He currently has 1,380 career points.
– If a Vikings RB reaches 100 yards rushing, it will mark the 50th career game TE Jim Kleinsasser has blocked for a 100-yard rusher.
– If the Vikings win, it will be just the 3rd time the team has opened a season with back-to-back road wins (‘74, ‘97). The Vikings have started just 5 of the 49 seasons with 2 consecutive road games.
Tags: Adrian Peterson, Jim Kleinsasser, Ryan Longwell
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | No Comments »