Final Notes on Vikings Victory

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 15, 2009 – 8:49 am

Before we move on to Week 2 and the Vikings-Lions matchup, here are a few final notes on the Vikings 34-20 victory over the Cleveland Browns on Sunday…

– The Vikings defense held Cleveland’s top 2 WRs – Braylon Edwards and Josh Cribbs – to a combined 3 receptions for 22 yards. A matchup with Detroit’s Calvin Johnson is on the horizon, so it was good to see the Vikings secondary playing well and the front 7 putting pressure on the QB.

– Adrian Peterson’s sensational 64-yard TD run put an exclamation point on Sunday’s victory. According to this article, Peterson rated his effort on that individual play as his best ever.

– The Vikings had 2 players along the offensive line make their first NFL regular season starts – RT Phil Loadholt and C John Sullivan – and Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress said they both played “particularly well.” Going up against 3-time Pro Bowler DT Shaun Rogers made Sullivan’s debut even more important for the Vikings on Sunday. Childress said he was pleased with the communication the young linemen had with coaches in between offensive series.

“I thought both of those young offensive linemen, they can come and tell you what they saw and then when you look at the pictures and you see the tape, it is what they saw,” Childress explained. “So there was great clarity (and) there was great communication in the offensive line.”

– Peterson stole the show with his 180-yard, 3-TD effort, but rookie WR Percy Harvin had a terrific debut, even catching a 6-yard TD pass from Brett Favre that essentially sealed the Vikings victory. All told when the game was over, Harvin’s impact was distinct – he had 8 touches for 157 yards and 1 TD.

“Well you know he had the one drop on the bubble (screen) which you would love to have back because he could have gotten in some clear air there,” Childress said. “But I think for what we asked him to do he handled it very well. Handled the return chores and was productive with it. Was in the right spot most of the time in the throw game, did have that one drop. He blocked extremely well down the field.”

Tags: , , ,

18 Responses to “Final Notes on Vikings Victory”

1. By james bakonyi on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

peterson is the man!

2. By thatguy on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

Such a fun game to be at. Lots of other Vikings fans there with me! Let’s get another win again next week! Skol Vikes!

3. By PurplePeopleEater on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

That was a fun run to watch. I remember first seeing it, how big of a hold that guy had on him I was thinking, “okay run’s over, still a great gain though, let’s move on to the next play.” Then he shakes that guy off his back and starts shedding defenders all over the field like my terrior sheds his hair all over the house! Keep it up Adrian, you truly are a machine!

4. By the horned norseman on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

WOOOOOOOOFRKINHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!…NEEEXT!!!!BUTT-WHOOPINS!!LINE UP FOR YOUR MINNESOTA BUTT-WHOOPINS!!! GET IN LINE,GET IN LINE!!!

5. By Joseph on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

so if that’s so why are Winfield and Griffin so underrated? ANNOYING

6. By andrew wilson on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

I was at the game Sunday. It was electric. Seeing Adrian and Favre live in my life time. Pinch me.

7. By Geno on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

Great to see the vikings finally have a full team.
    With Farve and Adrian and the rest this could be a great season for the Vikings.

Go Vikings!!!!

8. By vikingfan1955 on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

I was very happy with the game and loved the way we played after getting warmed up.We have a long way and we have some games that will really test us so the next 2 seem to be easy but lets not take any game for granted.The next 2 or 3 games will give the offense a chance to get insinc because we struggled other than ap doing his thing.I see the corners are doing better and the d is stout.This is for favre(Brett this game showed why even u should be at the start of camp).Yes he managed the game ok but had no true chemistry with the recievers.I know it will come eventually but if u were there earlier it would already be there.Once it iswe will truly be unstoppable.

9. By blacknblue on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

I had other obligations Sunday afternoon but caught the radio at the half and was all ready to get on my soap box. I’m gonna say this once. GOD bless AP!!!!
    I can’t see most of the games I live in Chicago but do go see the Vikes from time to time when they play here. Tickets are really expensive here. 250 for lousy end zone seats. I did see Moss in 98 there were more Vikes fans tailgating then bears fans it was awesome. Then I got to see Moss blow everyone away. When the Vikes kick off half the stadium was cheering on the Vikes. THAT was incredible.
    I need to see AP live. I hope Favre catches up with the rest of the team soon, good to see no picks.

10. By blacknblue on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

Last year against the Lions were close games. It seems more times then not the team gets lax on easy games. Hope that trend stays broken this season. I know we have a few tough ones. I still see steelers as a tougher one but if we can keep their def. on the field and stay turnover free it can be us squeeking by instead of the squeekers er stealers er, steelers.

11. By blacknblue on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

What caught my eye on that run was from a dead stop pushing the first guy away and tiff arming the second how he picked up speed and still blew away the last 2 defenders. lol How he do that?!

12. By blacknblue on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

lol I ment stiff arming….I’m tired

13. By TheGreatPurpleOne on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

I just can’t get enough of AP.

14. By james on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

its his rookie year if he can run like that for 1 year thru pain and injury he will get my vote,,,, Untill then Farve’s team Farve’s Game to win or lose he hasent missed a gm in 16 years he earned the respect, Ap has earned it but just dont let him know it yet…shhhhh

15. By purple08 on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Favres team? Favres game to win or lose?? whatever. what are you talking about?? rookie year?? where have you been James?? this is AP’s team!!

16. By CA Norwegian on Sep 17, 2009 | Reply

Vikes should try… Direct snap to Harvin in motion – Option play (college) pitch to Adrian, find a seam or flick back to QB for pass or bootleg.
    Vikes should try… Hurry up at the end of half.. Sweep/Reverse/play action bomb. The sweeps and hurry up are there to exhaust the pass rush. You can plan on giving QB more time and more time to check down instead of a sack – all other things equal.

17. By PurplePeopleEater on Sep 21, 2009 | Reply

passing, pass

18. By Алексей on Dec 25, 2009 | Reply

Не совсем в тему, но вопрос такой возник автору. А почему вы именно вордпресс выбрали для своего блога. Я вот ваш блог постоянно читаю :)