Wade Released, Lewis Added

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 10, 2009 – 11:07 am

The Vikings have released WR Bobby Wade and filling his place on the roster will be WR Greg Lewis.

Wade led the Vikings in receptions the past 2 seasons, but a combination of factors, including the addition of Percy Harvin, likely led to his release today. With prior stints in both Chicago and Tennessee, Wade may sign with either franchise after Week 1.

Lewis joins the Vikings after stints with both the Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots. He joined the Eagles as an undrafted free agent in 2003 and spent 6 seasons there. In his time with the Eagles, where he spent 3 years (2003-3005) with Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress while Childress was the offensive coordinator there, Lewis played in 90 games, catching 127 passes for 1,699 yards and 7 TDs.

This past March, Lewis was acquired via trade along with a 2010 7th round draft pick by the New England Patriots in exchange for a 2009 5th-round draft pick.  New England later released him.

Lewis joins a WR group that includes Bernard Berrian, Percy Harvin, Jaymar Johnson, Darius Reynaud and Sidney Rice.

Tags:

26 Responses to “Wade Released, Lewis Added”

1. By PurplePeopleEater on Sep 10, 2009 | Reply

Why release Wade? I understand that the WR position is full of some good talent, but why just let go the guy who had the most receptions last year? It would have made so much more sense to put him on the block in a combo deal with a QB (hopefully Sage) to help improve the team. Instead we are just letting this talent walk on to another team, likely the rival Bears who are in need of some more talent at his position. This is the biggest surprise I’ve heard yet this season, and I hope it doesn’t hurt in the long run.

2. By Jake in Fargo on Sep 10, 2009 | Reply

Bad move….nuff said

3. By mikewobschall on Sep 10, 2009 | Reply

I don’t think you’d get much trade value for Wade. It’s not that he’s not good enough, he clearly will be added by another team. But teams aren’t going to give up a draft pick for a guy that is just going to be released anyway. He was the 4th WR here…wasn’t going to see much playing time with Harvin on the team. I don’t know what his salary was, but I’m sure it was hard to justify paying him that much to be the #4 guy here.

I liked Bobby Wade as much as anyone, and I wish him luck wherever he goes, but this move was obviously well thought out. NFL teams don’t just do things abruptly…they think about them and make the move that is in the best interests of the team at the time.

4. By PurplePeopleEater on Sep 10, 2009 | Reply

I understand why he was let go, I’m just an economist at heart. We’ve been looking to trade away one of our QBs and we have a running back in the last year of his contract (Taylor) who would be the starter for most other teams right now. Put the two of them with Wade into a trade and a lot of teams would be rushing in to get a taste. I know a lot of people are going to say we should re-sign Chester, but I doubt that is going to happen since it hasn’t occurred before the start of the season. That is the same reason we rushed to get a deal completed with Winfield.

5. By vikingfan1955 on Sep 10, 2009 | Reply

ppleater I have to say ur post makes sense and I hate to loss wade but we have to have cash for taylor.AP is a beast but in my yrs of watching I have seen a lot of beasts go down with no sure backup and taylor is a for sure.

6. By mikewobschall on Sep 10, 2009 | Reply

I don’t think there would be one single team who would offer the Vikings anything in exchange for Wade, one of the backup QBs and Taylor. And the Vikings would be foolish to offer all 3 of those players in one trade. How often have you seen a multi-player trade in the NFL? Ever? It doesn’t happen for a reason.

7. By PurplePeopleEater on Sep 10, 2009 | Reply

Well I am in no respect very familiar with many trades that go on in the NFL, but I hear people talking about multi-player trades frequently enough. The one trade that came to mind when you asked Mike, was the Herschel Walker trade. While we got Walker and 4 drafts in that trade, we not only gave up8 draft picks, we also added in 5 players. Now forgive me for being naive about this, but I thought it was an idea that was common place.

8. By Daniel on Sep 10, 2009 | Reply

why realease bobby wade and sign a less produvtive receiver, that is what makes no sense! Bobby wade has done a great job! In the last two seasons had more receptions then the rest of our receivers! Then cut his pay to keep him on, and then cut him anyways! I am glad I am not in the cut throat business! What does greg lewis give this team that bobby wade didnt?

9. By L.A. Viking on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

Bad move. Wade is a big part of what we do and he’s one injury away from being our 3rd receiver. He is position flexible (WR or SE) and he knows the playbook inside out. He’s been the 3rd/4th receiver in the past and put up solid numbers, period. If someone goes down week 1 or 2 and we need a reliable 3rd possession receiver, it will not be Greg Lewis answering the call just yet.

10. By mikewobschall on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

PPE – You referenced the Herschel Walker trade. That was in 1989. That’s 20 years ago! And look how poorly it turned out. That’s exactly why you don’t see multi-player trades like that in the NFL.

As for the Wade situation, I understand what you are all saying in terms of his production over the past 2 seasons. And I also agree that the Vikings are just 1 injury away from needing him. But every team is 1 injury away from needing something. Wade had become the 4th WR since we drafted Harvin and it just didn’t make sense to pay Wade the kind of money he was owed for being the 4th WR.

Remember that vested veterans who are on a team’s Week 1 roster get their salary guaranteed. With Wade seeing his reps reduced and with Harvin in the fold, it just didn’t make sense to pay Wade the kind of money he was owed.

On top of that, the Vikings personnel staff and coach Childress are charged with brining in the best players they can to improve the roster. With Wade sitting on the bench mostly (while being paid a lot of money), it made sense to the front office to pursue a guy like Greg Lewis, who has some upside because of his speed and position flexibility, as well as his special teams capabilities. Wade has some of those same qualities, but Wade is being paid much more money, as well.

Player personnel decisions are complex and multi-layered, and I’m sure the decision to release Wade was no different. It’s important to consider all of the elements of a situation before lobbing in criticism. It’s okay to disagree with this move, not every fan is going to like every move. But also remember that the decision makers are privy to every bit of information we have, plus A LOT more. So they understand the production Wade has had the past 2 years. They’ve thought about the injury situation. They’ve thought about the fact that Wade was a leader of the WR group. These are things the personnel staff and Childress are paid to think about.

11. By pur[lepharaoh on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

So long Wade and good luck

12. By John Schierholz on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

BAD MOVE…..Chilli’s old Eagle croanies have all been busts….

Hank Basket for Billy McMullan?????????????????

Kelly Holcomb…….draft pick wasted ( Thigpen would still look good in Purple)

Thomas Tepah……FLUSH TWICE PLEASE

Bobby Wade had guts ,grit and hands…..Truly saddens me.

13. By Angry in Purple on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

Why are only selceted comments posted?

14. By PurplePeopleEater on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

Angry in Purple – I’ve learned that this site has a filter that blocks out certain posts without warning. The most common block is the word pa$$. (Notice that I used symbols instead of letters to step around the block). It does this because it is not smart enough to realize that a$$ isn’t a bad word when surrounded by other letters. I’m unsure of all the words that are on the block list (lo$er is one), but it will block any comment that has their letters in line without interruption. If your comment didn’t post, just click back. You’ll find that your entire post still exists in the writing box and you can adjust out the “bad language”. Don’t you love our freedom of speech?

BTW – A LIST OF THESE WORDS SHOULD BE POSTED! I SPENT WAY TOO MUCH TIME GOING IN AND OUT OF THIS POST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WORD WAS SO HORRIBLE. (Turned out it was the word B U T T from the word B U T T O N).

15. By Heaterman on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

This is just another example of Chilly’s dumb favoritism to his former eagle’s players. It makes no sense to me why you would release a guy who nows the playbook inside and out for a Childress lackey who hasn’t played a down with the team. B-Wade is also our best downfield blocker in the receiving core, which AP and Chester will definately miss when Harvin and Rice are being blown-up by safety’s on their way to our backs. What happens if the Bears or Pack sign him just to pick his brain on our new wrinkles with Harvin that weren’t shown in the pre-season? I don’t buy into the $ issue when Wilf has shown no fear in paying to improve the team. I don’t see how Lewis is going to help more than B-Wade will, special teams prowess or not.

16. By optimisticskeptic on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

I don’t think Chilly favors old eagles, I think he looks for players that know the termonology so can be ready for gametime quickly. Aslo, players who he knows strength and weaknesses.

17. By nofanchildress on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

they should release childress

18. By PAVikesFan on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

This is a low-ball move by the Vikings front office. The guy restructures his contract tot ake less money and you still cut the guy?…why not be up front with him when he was taking his pay cut. They didn’t have to make him believe he was going to be with the team when they knew they were going to cut him, that’s a low move. Plus, while he wasn’t spectacular, he was a solid, capable WR. Good 3rd down WR, solid hands, a veteran. Greg Lewis is terrible, trust me, having lived here in Philly my whole life and seeing him play for the Eagles, he’s awful. He weighs like 160, soaking wet, you hit him u might break him in 2. That’s Brad Childress being loyal to his guys from when he was in Philly. That’s a major downgrade. Bobby Wade is much, mcuh better than Greg Lewsi,this move I do not understand

19. By PAVikesFan on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

I guess it’s all about the money

20. By Daniel on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

I hear ya mike! Sometimes it is just all about the money! Its too bad, just tough to see a player that contributed so much the last two years go out like that! I hope greg lewis has what it takes to get er done so we dont regret it! I guess time will tell, just like with everything else!

21. By rap99 on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

if they think berrians’ injury will linger, lewis is his replacement

22. By Elizabeth on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

I’ve noticed most “business” moves turn out bad when it concerns sports. Bobby Wade is a player that can be counted on. He is worth the money. Ziggy might want to consider the player’s talent before he worries about the money. WR’s get hurt on a regular basis. They are like race horses…run like the wind but step the wrong way and it could be out to pasture.

23. By PAVikesFan on Sep 12, 2009 | Reply

Greg Lewis will NOT be a replacement for Bernard Berrian if he is a no-go this weekend. U guys don’t know it, but G-Lew is awful, trust me. He’s one of the worst recievers in the league. If he was so good or even halfway decent, then why did he never do anything in Philly?….he got traded to NE in the off-season and they cut him. Big whoopin deal if Wade was scheduled to make more $, he’s far more worth it than bringing in this scrub. Sometimes it’s not all about the money, if you want to win then u have to pay guys, simple as that.

24. By PurplePeopleEater on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

Pass the button over the top of the closer receiver.

Sorry for this senseless post – I’m just checking to see which of the changes that I was told were made actually were.

25. By PurplePeopleEater on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

YAY! We can finally talk about passing game without fighting the censors!!!

26. By Elizabeth on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

Thanks PurplePeopleEater!!!! At least there is someone out there that will let us “know the rules” on this site! The NFL likes to be evasive about the rules… ie the problem with STARCAPS & the Willams wall.