There is an exorbitant amount of prognostication in the NFL at this time of year. Television talking heads and over-caffeinated bloggers (like myself) are sounding off on which teams will over-achieve, who’s the favorite to win rookie of the year, etc., etc., etc.
But I came across a different kind of preseason activity that was done by Sporting News Magazine – a panel of 106 Hall of Famers, major award winners, executives, coaches and other football experts created a list of the top 100 football players currently in the NFL.
The Vikings tied the Steelers for most players on the list, with 7. Vikings players who made the cut were: RB Adrian Peterson (#3), G Steve Hutchinson (#14), DE Jared Allen (#21), DT Kevin Williams (#30), DT Pat Williams (#47), QB Brett Favre (#51) and CB Antoine Winfield (#76).
A few thoughts on the Vikings who were included:
– Peterson at #3 is understandable. Tough to put him any higher with QBs and perennial MVP candidates Peyton Manning (#1) and Tom Brady (#2) in the mix.
– Hutchinson at #14 might seem a bit too low considering he’s (in my opinion) the best player in the entire league at his position. Don’t get me wrong, I have great respect for Tony Gonzalez (#10), Ray Lewis (#11) and Ben Roethlisberger (#12) and Dwight Freeney (#13), but Hutch would’ve been ahead of those players on my list.
– There are a lot of good players listed from #15 through Allen at #21, but I think the Vikings DE should’ve been ahead of Panthers DE Julius Peppers (#16).
– Kevin Williams at #30 is the one I was most surprised to see. I think that’s far too low for him. The Vikings have had the best rushing defense for 3 straight years and I think he could be the #1 reason for that. I won’t list their specific ranking, but here are the players listed ahead of Williams who I think should be behind him: Walter Jones, Osi Umenyiora, Shawne Merriman, Kurt Warner, Julius Peppers, Ben Roethlisberger and Ray Lewis.
Other notes about the list:
– QBs were the most-represented position with 12 gusy making the list. DTs had 11 and both DEs and WRs had 10.
– Offensive players comprised the top 5 spots.
– Hopefully LB E.J. Henderson will make this list next year. I think he was on the way to making it last year before he suffered his season-ending foot injury.
– QB Mike Vick came in at #98.
Tags: Adrian Peterson, Antoine Winfield, E.J. Henderson, Jared Allen, Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Steve Hutchinson
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 1 Comment »