Vikings Make Additional Roster Move

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 6, 2009 – 4:59 pm

Although they’ve whittled their roster down to 53 players and have declared an 8-man roster squad, the Vikings are not finished making roster moves. As Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman has told us before, managing an NFL roster is a never-ending process.

That process continued on Sunday afternoon when the Vikings waived C Jon Cooper and signed C Kory Lichtensteiger.

Lichtensteiger is a 2nd year player out of Bowling Green State who was a 4th round pick by the Denver Broncos in 2008. The Broncos waived Lichtensteiger on Saturday as they trimmed their roster to get to the 53-player limit.

In college, Lichtensteiger played both guard and center. Over his 5-year career, the 6-3, 295-pounder received numerous honors, including being chosen as a team captain and being named to All-MAC, Academic All-MAC and national All-American lists.

Tags: ,

7 Responses to “Vikings Make Additional Roster Move”

1. By scot etgen on Sep 6, 2009 | Reply

vikings you picked up areal stand up guy i am biased also im from his home town also kory will do the vikings right!!

2. By Alvike on Sep 6, 2009 | Reply

Not really that surprising. Lichtensteiger brings the ability to play multiple positions, something Cooper couldn’t do. I bet the Vikings will continue to look closely at the free agent market to upgrade the depth on the o-line and DT positions.

3. By purplehorn on Sep 6, 2009 | Reply

I think if I remember right the Vikings were looking at Lichtensteiger but he was gone when they chose Sullivan in the sixth round. Cooper got some nice reviews from the star tribune guys. I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t land someplace else.
    What are the Bronco’s thinking this year? This could be a train wreck year for them. Spielman must be working overtime to scoop this guy from McDaniels, who has got to be fuming over that loss. I thought I saw Weigmann hurt his leg or ankle against the Bears? They don’t have another center on their 53 man roster??? WTF???

4. By Wade on Sep 6, 2009 | Reply

I Think the Vikings should Try and Trade Qb T.Jackson for WR Brandon Marshall, Favre would Love it.

5. By PurplePeopleEater on Sep 7, 2009 | Reply

Sounds like a great move. I haven’t been completely convinced that Sullivan is in 1st string form yet, and having somebody else out of his draft (picked ahead of him if purplehorn’s post is accurate) fighting for the job will help to solidify the position. Unlikely that he’ll get it, but he still makes a great addition as a backup to fill in for multiple positions on the field.

And to Wade – it sounds like a great trade, and that is why the Broncos will never consider it. TJack is starting to show some promise, but he is not on the same level as Marshall. Marshall is worth a 1st and 3rd/4th round draft pick while TJack will likely draw a 4th rounder. He might get a little better after his showing in preseason, but it would require a package deal to get Marshall. If that’s the way we’re going, I’d say throw Chester in with that package. He is too good of an RB to be our backup, and with his contract ending this year I think we are better suited to trade him to gain some extra value for future years.

6. By Chris J. on Sep 7, 2009 | Reply

I like PurplePeopleEater’s thinking. I’d trade Chester, TJ, and B. Wade to Denver for Marshall, then sign Booty and Ian Johnson to the active roster. Could this work?

2. Sep 6, 2009: Vikings Waive Cooper, Add Lichtensteiger | Minnesota Sports Zone