RB Johnson On The Right Track

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 6, 2009 – 4:37 pm

A guy who has been the subject of several reader comments here on the blog and who I’m guessing the Vikings coaching staff and personnel staff gave serious thought to including on the 53-man roster is RB Ian Johnson. Following his 2-touchdown performance against the Cowboys in Friday’s preseason finale, some thought he had done enough to beat out Albert Young for the 3rd RB spot.

Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress mentioned after Friday’s preseason finale that RBs coach Eric Bieniemy stated that this year’s RB crew was the best the team has had in camp since this particular staff has been together in Minnesota. Of course the presence of players such as Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor are the main reason Bieniemy feels that way. But that sentiment can also be attributed to both Young and Johnson, and their willingness to work hard and continue their development.

While Johnson continued to impress me as training camp and the preseason went on, I think the Vikings made the right choice by keeping Young on the 53-man roster and attempting to slide Johnson through waivers and onto the practice squad. Young has been in this offensive system and on this team for 2+ years now, and I think there’s something to be said for that and for the fact that like Johnson, Young has also been productive when he’s had opportunities.

But now that Johnson is on the practice squad, he’ll (hopefully) get a full year of experience in this system and then enter training camp next year with a broader knowledge of the Vikings scheme and way of doing business. This will equip him with the same experience that Young possesses and then we’ll see another good, old-fashioned dogfight for a roster spot on the RB depth chart.

Tags: , ,

13 Responses to “RB Johnson On The Right Track”

1. By purplehorn on Sep 6, 2009 | Reply

I am shocked that we were able to get Johnson and Booty through on waivers. I think the plan was to try and slip McCauley through also but it didn’t work out. Glad to see Clark and Radovich made it also.
    This Johnson kid plays with a huge heart. Nice to know we have Young and Johnson in the wings. Anybody know if Garcia and Daniels got picked up by another club?
    This team is just really deep with talent. If the chemistry is there and the team peaks in synchronicity at the right time of November……like Berman says, they..could…go…all..the….way!!!
    I’ve waited since 1969 for this: Super Bowl Champion Minnesota Vikings.

2. By mikewobschall on Sep 6, 2009 | Reply

McCauley is not eligible to be on a practice squad.

3. By Louie on Sep 6, 2009 | Reply

I think johnson did one heck agan the comboys. But was glad you put on the pracit squad

4. By mikewobschall on Sep 6, 2009 | Reply

I just saw on a website that McCauley was added to the Lions practice squad. So, either I misunderstood the practice squad qualifications or the report I read is incorrect.

5. By gooding on Sep 6, 2009 | Reply

Ke

6. By gooding on Sep 6, 2009 | Reply

Keeping Johnson will make the Vikings a better team

7. By Alvike on Sep 6, 2009 | Reply

mikewobschall, i think you were correct on the practice squad thing. i, too, saw he was picked up by the lions, but from what i saw it looked like he was put on their active roster. idk?

8. By purplehorn on Sep 6, 2009 | Reply

Alvike, I saw the same thing. Mike, what is the rule on the practice squad? Players can only be on it for so long, but active can’t go back and forth on it?

I like this new web site and the blog Mike. Keep up the good work.

9. By TE519 on Sep 7, 2009 | Reply

Ian Johnson is a winner.

10. By mikewobschall on Sep 7, 2009 | Reply

A player has 3 years of practice squad eligibility. Players eligible for the practice squad include: players who don’t have 1 accrued season of free agent credit, players who have 1 accrued season of free agent credit but were on the active game day roster fewer than 9 times in that season(s),

What I stated above seems to preclude McCauley from being on the practice squad.

11. By mikewobschall on Sep 7, 2009 | Reply

Yes, I just confirmed with someone who can confirm it (now that’s saying something without saying something, isn’t it?). Anyway. McCauley is not practice squad eligible and he’ll be joining the Lions 53-man roster.

12. By Alvike on Sep 7, 2009 | Reply

I’m glad McCauley will get another shot. Too bad it’s against a division opponent. Good luck to him.

13. By PurplePeopleEater on Sep 7, 2009 | Reply

LOL@mikewobschall. I had him pegged as a practice sqauder, but since he doesn’t qualify I have no problem letting him go, even if it is to the Lions. He was okay, but we have plenty of guys that were out-performing him.