Quick Turnaround for Vikings This Week

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 1, 2009 – 7:27 am

The feel-good emotion that comes from a victory in the NFL will be short-lived for the Vikings this week. Just 4 nights after a 17-10 win over the Houston Texans on Monday Night Football, the Vikings will bounce back and conclude their preseason by hosting the Dallas Cowboys at the Metrodome on Friday night at 7:00 CT.

Included in the 4 days between games will be normal preparation for a preseason game but also something that Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress describes as the toughest part about coaching – making roster cuts. The Vikings, and the rest of the NFL’s 31 teams, must be down to 75 players by Tuesday afternoon. Currently, the Vikings have 79 players on the roster.

The toughest part of coaching doesn’t get any easier after Friday night’s game, either. The Vikings must whittle their roster down to 53 players by Saturday afternoon.

16 Responses to “Quick Turnaround for Vikings This Week”

1. By purple08 on Sep 1, 2009 | Reply

hopefully the vikes can showcase rosenfels against the cowboys and trade him for a bag of jock straps or something.

2. By PurplePeopleEater on Sep 1, 2009 | Reply

He is starting to seem like the odd man out now. Jackson is starting to look more confident taking snaps. I still get the feeling that Jackson is the man that Chilli wants to trade though. Otherwise he’ll have to admit that he just completely threw away this year’s 4th round draft pick for nothing. Maybe a 5th or 6th rounder next year, but that depends on what other teams might be interested.

3. By ibleedpurple on Sep 1, 2009 | Reply

I have a tendency to agree with you PPE. Was it just me or did anyone else see TJack’s look of resignation on his face after his series? He just sat there with his head on his hand and had this “Well this it. I’m done here” look on his face. I could be wrong…

4. By Canadian vikes fan on Sep 1, 2009 | Reply

Keeping Sage Rosenfels over Tarvaris Jackson would be one of the worst decisions the Vikings have ever made. Sage is a 31 year old journeyman, career backup. We know what we’ll get out of Sage. Whereas Tarvaris is a 26 year old with a stronger arm, lotsa speed and is still growing and making better decisions. Please Chilly make the right choice.

5. By PAVikesFan on Sep 1, 2009 | Reply

Not tto bad. Favre made some nice throws, with some zip on the ball. He’s taking too many hits for my liking. Our right side of the line needs to develop. Houston got a lot of pressure on our right side. Harvin made some mistakes, but give him time, he’ll be OK. Way too many penalties. Ridiculous. They better clean that stuff up, that reflects on the coaches. Teams that get penalized that much are sloppy and undisciplined, not acceptable. They need to address that.

6. By Vikings1 on Sep 1, 2009 | Reply

I agree with all of you in that they should keep Tavaris over Sage, also Favre was taking too many hits and at that rate he will get injured. Something has to be done to help protect him more and is it just my imagination that Tavaris and Sage seem to get better protection when they play?

7. By moorevikes on Sep 1, 2009 | Reply

just a couple of thoughts,and questions i guess, but does anyone else think mckinnie is overrated i’ve never cared for him, to me it seems ap has his better runs on the right side and the qb gets sacked alot because mckinnie is too slow and gets burned alot

8. By purple08 on Sep 1, 2009 | Reply

mckinnie to a couple of penalties as well last night.

9. By purple08 on Sep 1, 2009 | Reply

took a couple of penalties. sorry.

10. By PurplePeopleEater on Sep 1, 2009 | Reply

I saw it too ibleedpurple. Jackson’s face was saying how much he didn’t want to be in this position. He was getting to know and like all of his teammates, they were starting to respect him and believe he could be their starter, and now he is forced to face the fact that he probably lost his last chance. Unless we keep him, he is going to be traded to or signed by another team as a career backup. I really felt bad for the guy, cause he was just starting to get a good feel for the game just a little too late. Not to mention how horribly our fans have treated him while he was on the field.

11. By purp a durp pride baby on Sep 2, 2009 | Reply

i think that the look on t jacks face was one of why the f did they have to call a fullback run on my series. i know its preseason but spare the kid some dignity. im tired of childress making horible play calls. i saw it last year when t jack was starting early in the season against good teams who you cant call chester in for a run on 3rd and 5 i saw it i hate it but we have the team that knows the game plan its too late to change the coach even when the game plan i s going to fail. t jack got a bad rap because he played tough games early last year with bad play calling. all that said i always did love favre.

oh and did you ever ask yourself why the vikes always lose to the eagles. maybe its because andy ried drew up our play book

12. By purp a durp pride baby on Sep 2, 2009 | Reply

my badz i guess it was ian johnson on the run during t jacks series but come on can you gauge a qb’s ability when you have guys fighting for jobs out there with him and i like your style canadian vikes fan sage is straight but t jack can be the future a throwing vick baby

13. By blacknblue on Sep 2, 2009 | Reply

wow so many blogs to comment on, where do I start. Can’t post on blogs again so this is in response to a few.If you think Sage is a journeyman backup QB and you didn’t have a problem with our old man Gus last year taking over for TJ then there shouldn’t be a problem with Sage. Every time I see TJ throw I can’t help hearing swan lake. I bet I can put a vid together with all his great jumps. Jumps not throws mind you. It’s either a back foot fade away jumper or a tippy toe, lame duck (swan). I can’t even count on one hand where he has just stepped up and thrown the ball.

14. By blacknblue on Sep 2, 2009 | Reply

The OL has been poor protecting the QB. TJ avoids by running out (way too early)
    or doing that stiff arm slap hop back thing that he does. I agree with the penalties omg that one drive with Favre was I can’t remember 4 or 3 on one set of downs.
    That looked way bad IF I were TJ I’d be PO too 1st half qb got another series in the 3rd quarter when I was supposed to play.

15. By rap99 on Sep 3, 2009 | Reply

BKACKNBLUE i was wondering if anyone but me sees the way TJ jumps all the time! w.t.f. id that about, he always runs early, and never throws on time.

16. By purple08 on Sep 3, 2009 | Reply

Still way better than Sage.