The Schism That Unites

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 28, 2009 – 8:28 am

The 1st definition of the word “schism” that comes up in an internet search is: “division or disunion, esp. into mutually opposed parties.” But something strange has happened at Winter Park – the schism that reportedly exists in the Vikings locker room regarding support, or the lack thereof, of QB Brett Favre has actually united the players even further.

Said Vikings RB Adrian Peterson on Wednesday about the existance of a divide in the Vikings locker room regarding Favre: “That’s something new to me. I’m not sensing nothing like that at all. I don’t know where that came from. That’s news to me.”

Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress shared a similar sentiment on Wednesday as well, saying “I certainly don’t see anything that points to that.”

“Brett has fit in great. He’s one of the guys,” safety Madieu Williams said on Thursday, according to ESPN.com. “Everybody has welcomed him with open arms. He’s fit right in. He’s been a great locker-room guy.”

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press caught up with All-Pro G Steve Hutchinson after practice, who said, “I understand where the media is coming from, because they have to write about him. But there’s only so many ways to say there’s no truth to it.”

Jensen also spoke with WR Sidney Rice, who said, “There’s nothing like that in the locker room. Everyone is focused on their assignments, and doing what they can do to make this a better team.

“There’s no ‘We want Tarvaris. We want Brett.’ We can’t control those things, no matter what we say. That’s up to the head man, and his decision goes every time.”

Pro Bowl CB Antoine Winfield told Jensen: “Guys are happy he’s here. I’m happy he’s here. Hopefully he can take us to where we need to go.”

It got to the point on Thursday at Winter Park where players were either amused by the notion of a schism or simply annoyed by it. Chip Scoggins observed in the Star Tribune’s “Access Vikings” blog that LB Chad Greenway, walking off the field, said: “Schism. You guys are making up words now.” And DE Jared Allen quipped: “I’m not answering any schism questions. It’s all [expletive].”

Rice perhaps had the best quote, saying the players have transcended being stuck on their personal opinion about which QB gives them the best chance to win and instead have the attitude that no matter the identity of the starting QB, all of the QBs have the support of everyone in the locker room.

And that’s really the best attitude to have. It’s unrealistic to expect a locker room full of 79 players and a full coaching staff to have a unanimous sentiment regarding a hot-button topic like the identity of the starting QB. But it’s not unrealistic to expect that same locker room to unite behind whomever is identified as the starter. That’s what has happened in Minnesota.

Tags: , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “The Schism That Unites”

1. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

Forgive my clowning, but if Rice had the best quote how come you didn’t quote him?

Let’s get some more schisms going, since they help the team! Did you hear that nearly half of the team doesn’t care for the design of the home uniform? Some of those same guys think the Cardinals should have won the superbowl! And there is this huge battle going on over which is better, boxers or briefs!!!

2. By mikewobschall on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

Rice is quoted in the entry. 6th paragraph.

3. By Viking-ology on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

Schism shmism! Lets just get to gametime. Favre is the right choice now, he will give them much needed stability at the helm. I’ve been a viking fan too long to give up now. I may not always agree with everything they do, but thats why I’m sitting at home writing this post!
    Jared Allen is highly respected, and I’m glad he supports Favre. Favre has the best RB in the league, he will be loving the one two punch. Go Vikings!!

4. By purplehorn on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

I think somebody has schism mixed up with competition at the QB spot. There is nothing more healthy than competition.

5. By CA Norwegian on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

There is just too much unrequited testosterone in the sports media. Glazer gave himself credit, saying he started anational frenzy and some stupid stuff. There is nothing like bonding over winning. And Frank Reich wsn’t the starter either, but he had the perhaps the best field marshalling in relief ever.

6. By rap99 on Aug 28, 2009 | Reply

what’s the question? if favre throws lefty he’s better than TJ!

7. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 29, 2009 | Reply

I’m sorry Mike, I must have missed that. I was just poking some light fun.

8. By blacknblue on Aug 30, 2009 | Reply

I got used to the new uniforms but they still look like they belong on an arena league team. Give me the 70′s uniform like they had in that throwbak game anyday.

9. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 30, 2009 | Reply

The only reason that they look similar to arena uniforms is because the design was created with the same current fashion trends since arena football has been around for such a short time. Any other team that upgrades its unifrom will will appear as if it “belongs on an arena league team” as well, until fashion trends make a significant change.

Personally I like the new uniforms, but I might even add a little more flair to it.

10. By Northstar651 on Sep 1, 2009 | Reply

It seems the only schism on this team is coming from Bobby Wade he’s a hater get rid of him.He talks as if he’s a superstar.The Vikes dont need him he’s like T.O without the talent.At least T.O has pro bowl credentials.The guys in the front office should get rid of him he needs to be humbled.