At practice on Thursday Vikings defenders worked a little bit on the Tampa 2 defense. The offense ran through some plays in the West coast offense. And some players even gave their vocabulary a little exercise, attempting to use the word “schism” in the proper context.
As ESPN.com’s NFC North blogger Kevin Seifert referenced, LB Chad Greenway yelled “Schisms! Watch out for media schisms!” as he ran off the field. Chip Scoggins wrote in the Star Tribune’s “Access Vikings” blog that P Chris Kluwe gave it his best attempt as well when he saw camera crews scatter during the early stages of practice. “Uh-oh,” Kluwe said, “there’s a schism in the camera crew.”
All the “schism” references come because of a report on ESPN that cited a source as saying there was “a schism” in the locker room regarding support for QB Brett Favre. As for Favre’s reaction, the QB didn’t seem too concerned with the report or with the meaning of the word “schism.”
“I don’t even know what that means, I’ve got no reaction,” Favre said. “I’m just doing what I can do to hopefully help this team win and just trying to fit in. I’m not worried about that. That’s for you guys to have some fun with. Once again, I have no idea what that means. I’m assuming it’s controversial.”
Favre made a good point regarding the word schism and the identity of the source who used the word to describe a possible sentiment in the Vikings locker room.
“I can assure you, I don’t think any guy in the locker room, me included, would use that word,” Favre said. “We’d probably come up with something a little different. You guys have to come up with something a little more locker-room related.”
Tags: Chad Greenway, Chris Kluwe
Posted in All | 19 Comments »
– The Vikings waived WR Glenn Holt today. That transaction leaves the Vikings with 9 WRs on the roster and a total of 79 players. The 1st roster cut downday is Tuesday, September 1, when all clubs must trim their rosters to 75 players. The cutdown day for all teams to be at 53 players is Saturday, September 5.
– Don’t forget to join Leaguesafe’s Paul Charchian on vikings.com today at 12:30 CT for a live fantasy football chat.
– Our Monday Morning Mailbag feature will continue on Monday, the day the Vikings and Texans square off. You can submit email questions/comments to me at email@example.com.
– Remember to follow the Vikings official Twitter account (@VikingsFootball) to stay on top of all the latest news and developments.
– We will be chatting live during the Vikings-Texans Monday Night Football preseason game on Monday night, just as we did for the Vikings-Chiefs preseason game last Friday. We had 3,100 people join the chat last week and a total of 2,400 comments.
Tags: Glenn Holt, Paul Charchian
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 2 Comments »
The Vikings have come out on the right end of both their preseason contests so far in 2009, and that is partially due to their ability to be on the right side of QB sacks in both games.
Through 2 preseason games, the Vikings remain the only team to not give up a sack and the defense leads the NFL in collecting sacks, with 9.
Asked to evaluate the play of his offensive line so far this preseason in light of those facts, Childress said: “From that standpoint, pretty good. You have to attribute that to line work, running back work (and) quarterbacks getting the ball out of the hand. There were far too many of those (sacks) last year. As I mentioned to you before, it always doesn’t fall at the feet of the offensive linemen. It usually is somebody not getting open or a guy missing a protection or a technique flaw, or something like that. So they are coming (along) that way.”
On the defensive side, the Vikings have been getting after opposing QBs. It started with a relentless pursuit on one of the league’s top signal callers – Peyton Manning. In the preseason opener, the Vikings sacked Manning 3 times on the opening drive and then went on to tally 3 more sacks throughout the game.
Against Kansas City last week, Vikings defenders notched 3 more sacks to bring their total to 9, just 2 short of last year’s preseason total. With 2 more games to play, the Vikings are on track to improve their sack total from 2008.
The team hopes its propensity to sack the QB in the preseason will translate to sacks in the regular season as well. The Vikings finished the 2008 season ranked 4th with 45 total sacks, and Childress knows cuts at the position following this preseason will be difficult to make.
“God willing, they are tough cuts,” Childress said. “It’s a very violent position, defensive line. You can’t have enough of those guys…We just want guys that are fresh. We want fresh legs in there…So that is why you have the wave. You only have the wave if you feel good about the people that you can wave in there.”
Posted in All | 6 Comments »