Childress on Jackson: Deliberate and Confident

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 24, 2009 – 4:15 pm

Part of the difficulty in evaluating players against each other during preseason action is that the playing field is not always equal. This situation is perhaps best illustrated at the QB position, where one player will enjoy the opportunity of playing with mostly 1st teamers while the competing player will be surrounded by 2nd team players.

This was the case for the Vikings in their 1st preseason game, when QB Sage Rosenfels got the start and looked impressive while going 10-13 for 91 yards and leading the Vikings to 10 points in 2 possessions. His fellow QB, Tarvaris Jackson, took the field later in the game and was an unremarkable 7 of 15 for 39 yards.

But then in the team’s 2nd preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday night, Jackson received the opportunity to play with 1st teamers and looked the part of an NFL starter, attaining a perfect passer rating by going 12 of 15 for 202 yards and 2 TDs.

“I would say when you’re playing with the first group of offensive lineman, backs, and receivers it bodes better for your chance to have success,” Childress said. “With guys in the right spot, running the right routes, and running the place you’re looking. You can say the quarterback doesn’t look good, but you have heard me say in the past, you have to play around the quarterback. Whether it’s the protection game or wiggling open against man-to-man.”

Although Childress acknowledged that Jackson was surrounded by better players against the Chiefs, he also remarked that the 4th-year signal caller displayed poise.

“I’m not going to take anything away from what he did; I thought he was very deliberate in what he was doing and confident in what he was doing.”

Tags:

13 Responses to “Childress on Jackson: Deliberate and Confident”

1. By purplehorn on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Chili said in the presser that the Vikings might carry four QB’s. I think that isn’t a bad idea. T.J. is just in his fourth year in this league. He and Booty both have improved. Rosenfels is another quality QB. I would continue the process of development while Brett Favre is around. Talk about ideal conditions for the young guys.

2. By KRIESES on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Favre is the leader of our beloved vikings he is our first string Q.B show some love on our offence for him remember he chose to be a viking to help us get our first super bowl chapionship ever so make the metro dome sold out and make this season the best yet ever 4 ever long live the greatest golden piece too are long awaited jig saw pussle put together by are purple destiny hip hip hurray hip hip hurray hip hip hurray finally we could say we have a great quater back go vikes 4 ever and ever::

3. By Brownicus on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

Regardless of whether Childress wants to have 4 QBs or not he has to say the Vikes might carry 4 QBs. There is still the possibility that the Vikes could try to trade TJack, if teams think the Vikes are going to release him they will simply wait until he is released or they will make low offer for him. I’m fine with the Vikes keeping 4 QBs on the roster.

4. By rap99 on Aug 24, 2009 | Reply

keeping 4 QB’s will take away a special teams player, remember special teams last season? why take away a player who will play for one who will not? please let TJ GO!

5. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 25, 2009 | Reply

Right now I’m thinking we may have a DT position on the line for the 4th QB. With the case against the Williams Wall more than likely being put on hold until the end of the season, our plans to have extra DTs sitting around for their suspension can be forgotten and we can release one of these guys to keep Jackson around until a trade is made…if it takes that long.

6. By fmfan on Aug 25, 2009 | Reply

why should we trade TJ he is the best QB we have. Trade Sage he throws way to many ints. I still don’t know why we got a almost 40 year old worn out Favre.

7. By Viking-ology on Aug 25, 2009 | Reply

Favre provides leadership at QB. Look how long Warren Moon played for and he was still effective. Steve McNair-RIP got a second chance with the Ravens. Brett Favre can still play, but this is a one shot deal. It will be curious to see if they trade away TJ, then who is the future QB of the vikes…

8. By TimR on Aug 25, 2009 | Reply

I don’t think carrying 4 is a great idea. As said, that could take away from a ST player, which is underrated. You could always cut Booty, then re-sign him to the practice squad. Other than that, I would keep Jackson b/c he’s a capable back-up QB, plus when Favre is gone then what?, then ur left with a 10 year journeyman with Sage and either a 3rd year QB whom has never played a down in the league or a career back-up in Jackson. It’s not the ideal situation.

9. By Brownicus on Aug 25, 2009 | Reply

There’s no way Booty would clear waivers, they tried that with Tyler Thigpen who had less experience and it didn’t work.

10. By TimR on Aug 26, 2009 | Reply

A good point indeed. He would not clear waivers. What to do what to do??…I can only see T-Jack being the odd-man out in this situation. They just signed Sage, Booty is from USC, with lots of potential, Jackson is the odd-man out, but I would like to see them keep him as a back-up. I say Booty is from USC. The reason that’s relevant is b/c we all know what a great school that is, I understand just b/c he went there doesn’t guarantee he’ll be anything, but if he was from, oh let’s say, Toledo, do u think he’d be on the team right now??. I say no. So being from USC has some bearing

11. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 26, 2009 | Reply

Right now it makes sense to keep 4 QBs on the roster. With Favre’s age and physical concerns, there is high potential that he could be injured for the rest of the season at any time. If that happens we would still have all the QBs that we were planning on playing out the season with before all this occured.

12. By Viking-ology on Aug 26, 2009 | Reply

What do the coaches think of Booty. Have they ever said he is the vikings future QB? I guess we will find out soon enough when the roster is set. I still think TJack will be traded, maybe not right away but Childress probably made up his mind when he brought Favre in.

13. By Viking-ology on Aug 26, 2009 | Reply

Don’t expect Favre to play two more years. I think Chilli knows everything is riding on this year. The thing that bothers me is the quick fix- I think Favre will hold up for the most part this year, but we haven’t had a franchise QB since Tarkington. Something has to be done about it. Thats why I think TJ may stay till next years draft, then work a trade for a high pick in the draft. They have Loadholt now and Harvin- get the franchise QB. Tebow would work!