Vikings Sign QB Brett Favre

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 18, 2009 – 1:22 pm

QB Brett Favre just signed a contract and is now a Minnesota Viking.

“We believe adding a player such as Brett Favre to our mix will be a strong positive for this football team,” Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress said. “As we have conveyed before, his unique knowledge of our system, the NFC North and his innate skills make this a rare opportunity. We felt there was a brief window to reconsider the possibility and owed it to the organization to evaluate our options. After thorough discussion, the same variables that made this a unique and positive situation previously, still exist. Now, our attention turns to getting to work as a team, our next practice and getting prepared for the season.”

38 Responses to “Vikings Sign QB Brett Favre”

1. By Brownicus on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

I really don’t think he’s that much of an upgrade over Sage personally, but on a plus side the Vikings probably won’t have trouble selling games out this season and the games versus the packers should be very interesting this season.

2. By Brownicus on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

I feel pretty bad for Sage too, I was pulling for him. Hopefully he will still compete for the job next year or at least be #2 guy in case Favre gets injured. I wonder how many comments this topic will have by the end of the day today?

3. By vikings transplant in IA on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

I’m with you Brownicus, As I said in another blog he moved everything he had to MN becaus ehe could compete for the first string QB and now Favre decides to grace us with his presence! I would think Sage would be the long term fix this is going to put us in the same problem a year or two down the road. If CHildress can’t do well in the playoffs with this team (Favre included) he better think about retirement as well! GO VIKES

4. By Jake on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

I think it is a total kick in the nuts to Sage. He came to training camp and then played well in his first preseason game only to get booted by Favre.

5. By SAGEfan on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Childress has lost all respect and trust with his players.

6. By Sue on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Hey, don’t react negatively!!! Brett Favre can and will do a LOT for the Vikings!!! DON’T BLAME FAVRE – GREEN BAY “back-doored” him……..he’s an all-time great player! As far as Childress losing respect from his players…….why were his players messaging Favre to come to Minnesota?????? Think about it.

7. By joe nowakowski on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

This stinks for all Viking fans. Bret can’t play in the Metrodome. Do your homework. This is his best place to throw interseptions. Time for Childress to go befor he hires (Puke) McNabb, like he does with all other Eagle castaways. First time in 43 years I’m not looking forward to football.

8. By metro 3 on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

This is good Brett’s career will end with Green Bay!!

9. By utanfan on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Can you all say VICK ?

10. By vikings transplant in IA on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

I can say VICK it rhymes with SICK! Look gang We might as well enjoy the ride to come. I am as pro Sage as they come and I agree with the kick mentioned above but what’s done is done it’s all about big business and you can’t deny Favre sells tickets! As a fan from the Fran Tarkenton era I for one would like to see them in another superbowl and would LOVe it if they actually won. As I said before if Childish can’t pull it off with this team he should probably retire with Favre!!!

11. By Perry on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

This is truly a sad day for me. I’ve seen very game in the last 27 years except one. I will now miss every game this year. I just wish I had season tickets so that I could send them back. He is the most overrated player in the history of the NFL. He is nothing more than a glorfied Rex Grossman. For the life of me, I can’t figure out how he’s gotten away with stupid mistakes with just the excuse “That’s just Favre being Favre”. The only bright side is that this probably means that TJoke is history.

12. By charles on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

brettfavrevikings.com for sale make offer to best578@msn.com
    will make good site for selling favre items

13. By vikings transplant in IA on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

I know how you feel I have some Moss jersey’s that I will never wear again…

14. By the horned norseman on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

vikings transplant has it right ppl,except for his take on childress; c’MON! the wins column INCREASED by two(2) games per season since he took over as head coach,cut the dude some slack! also look at the draft picks over the last three(3) years….are you people kidding ? i know those weren’t HIS decisions alone, but i’m confidant that he had SOME input!t-jack may not be a starter, but i believe he can be a quality back-up,ESPECIALLY with favre as a mentor!man, take all your negative vibes & go root for dallas . LETS GO VIKINGS!!!!!!

15. By vikings transplant in IA on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

As the story below mentions it seems the organization knew Favre was coming. Something I would look at awfully close if I was Sage. I hope he stays though he will get his chance soon, old bones break easy so to speak. I have a feeling that we will only have Brett for one or two season’s and we will need ROsenfels to learn fas much as he can from Brett while he can so he can take the controls without all this starting over again!

16. By vikings transplant in IA on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Thanks for the kudos Norseman, I have looked at the wins column and I see what you see but look at the entire picture! This roster is a superbowl caliber roster! A.P is probably the best running back in the league, Favre is tried and true if he can maintain his ability and health, Jared Allen and the Williams boys give the D a lot of leadership and ability and the secondary has been steadily improving behind them every season. Meanwhile let’s not forget someof the truly bone headed decisions Childress has made.

17. By paddy on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Favre never had any credibility regarding his retirement or returning, but Childress has now lost all credibility after saying the book was closed on Favre. This can’t be good for the locker room. I also believe Favre is only here to stick it to Ted Thompson in GB. It’s too late now, but I wish Favre would just retire and stay retired.

18. By vikings transplant in IA on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Joe n. Brett threw interceptions because of thehostile environment an dthe noise level. Brett runs and offense by communication, if he can’t talk above the crowd receivers aren’t where they should be. paddy he didn’t stay retired so we have to embrace him and move on. Hopefully the team will get behind him and true football majic will happen if it does hold on to your metrodome pictures because Zyggy might finally get his new dome that he wants!

19. By Tro on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

I hope he will be a good mentor for Sage, because Sage is our future. We’ll get to and win the super bowl not because of Farve but because we have a great TEAM.

20. By vikings transplant in IA on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Amen Tro the oldest of addages is that QB’s don’t get you to the bowl d-fense does!

21. By laurinejs on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

With you horned norseman. I think Sage will benefit from watching and learning
    behind Favre. The PACKERS Quarterback Rodgers sure was able to come in after patiently waiting for his time behind Favre and was a definite competitor.
    He had the fourth best quarterback rating in the NFL last year in his first active year. The VIKINGS have a great team, and now with Favre at the helm, with his experience, we have all the pieces in place. Be it one year or two, Sage will be stronger when his time truly begins. Negativity just hurts our team and causes dissension. What is done is done and we all need to get behind our team and be happy for the better chance Favre may be able to give all our great guys now.
    Yes, it will be different to see Favre in a purple jersey, but just think how it will look for the Green Bay fans and smile. GO VIKINGS! <3

22. By vikings transplant in IA on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Right on laurinejs! Let’s watch some football GO VIKES SKOL!!!

23. By moorevikes on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

to all who say they are boycoting our team good riddence and go watch the boars, lions or cheese . i feel bad for sage and t jack but it is what it is and i for one can not wait for sept 13. go vikes

24. By Jeff on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

The one thing that I hope to see with Brett joining the team is him only play until we have the game in hand. He needs to save himself for the end of the season and the run on the title. Sage can feel fine as we will need him to play on a regular basis. Brett must get in, take care of business, get out and turn it over to Sage!

25. By Thomas Atol on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

By signing Favre the Vike’s lost a loyal fan of 40 years. I will not watch another game until Favre and Childress are long gone.

26. By Steve on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Are you serious Thomas? How dumb. Or are you Fran Tarkenton incoqnito? LOL

27. By Steve on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Speaking of Fran, if the Vikings win the Superbowl, Fran will probably have a cardiac arrest.

28. By the horned norseman on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

to thomas atol: GOOD, you & “loyal fans” like you should root for a canadian football league team.

29. By the horned norseman on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

with YOU laurinejs,& you’re WELCOME vikings transplant…its good to see there are still SOME true vikings fans out there(moorevikes has the right attitude as well,along with some others,like brownicus)I AM READY FOUR SOME MINNESOTA FOOTBALL…LETS GO VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. By MiamiJer on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

With Favre at the QB helm, Minnie will no longer have a one dimensional offense. Just like last year at NY, the Vikings will stop seeing the defensive box stacked at the line with the constant threat that Favre may throw down field. Instead of constantly anticipating a Peterson run, defenses will have to play honestly and spread out to cover all the angles. With that in mind, Peterson should have an awesome year, just like Thomas Jones had with the Jets last season. Since Brett will no longer have to carry the team on his shoulders, he should be more patient and force fewer plays this season. Before his injury with the Jets last year, Favre had a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio and a completion percentage over 70%. This is by far the best team that Brett has played on since the Superbowl Packers team from ’96 to ’98. The Vikings team this season with Brett is comparable to the Broncos team with Elway when they won back to back Superbowls in ’98 and ’99. This is the best team that Childress will ever get, so he better take advantage of the opportunity! Don’t forget that Elway was “old” when he finally got his first and second rings. Favre haters have to realize that Brett wanted to play in Minnie last season, but the Packer trade to the Jets killed that dream. Warner and Collins are still good as well, having great seasons last year despite being in their late 30’s. Brett knows the West Coast offense well enough to coach it, so the the transition to the Vikings offense will be smooth. But due to lack of mini-camps and training camps, I think that Brett should be pulled in the third or fourth quarters of games where the Purple People Eaters are comfortably ahead. Favre’s lack of conditioning could come back to haunt him in the playoffs, especially if he has to play an opponent in an outdoor stadium like Green Bay or Chicago. Too bad Minnie doesn’t have Randy Moss anymore; that would be the ultimate team!

31. By Hodag on Aug 18, 2009 | Reply

Hey Miami, no one will be pulling out Favre unless Brett wants to come out.Brett has all the pull now and Childress won’t have a say in it. Don’t be so sure the Vikes will have too many opportunities to sit him because of their big leads after Brett throws 2-3 picks most games.

32. By purple08 on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

wow! a lot of sage lovers here. 9 seasons, 12 starts. people are saying he can learn much from favre? how many years does he need? t-jack would be a way better QB than rosenfels if he had 9 years to develop! HA HA! listen, i hate brett favre more than anyone but i have come to grips with the fact that he is probably a better option than either sage or tarvaris. it is just a sign of the times. love him or hate him, it is a big turd sandwich and we are all going to have to take a bite! GO VIKES!

33. By purple08 on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

also, what more do you clowns want from chilly? he has made us a legitimate contender and brought us back to respectability. dennis green had ten years and couldn’t win. tice was caught scalping tickets and the team had no discipline. you guys are awfully quick to dump on chilly’s playcalling but maybe all the pieces he has put together are finally going to pay off and you will see the full arsenal this season. we are a legitimate top 5 team now. we may not win the superbowl but i for one am very happy with the way he has put this team together.GO VIKES!

34. By Bluewolf on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

FAVRE WILL ROCK THE NFL! ! !!! !! ! ! !

35. By Bret on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

Go Bret Favre!! He is still a better QB than some starting for other teams. This could be the Vikings missing link. Hopefully the O Line can protect him. I have a feeling that when Bret is in the game he wont be doing alot of throwing. He will be handing the ball off alot to the great running backs.

36. By shoreline on Aug 19, 2009 | Reply

I started out as a GB fan and over the years became a Brett Favre fan. I may have followed him to the Jets but I cheered for the whole Jets team. Like it or not, I am now a Vikings fan and think Brett has the skills to become a huge team player this season. I really don’t think he’s in it for the accolades or records. He’s in it for the win and is smart enough to know it takes a team to get to the playoffs. How many clips have you seen him in that rant and rave about how someone else lost the game for him? Never.

2. Aug 18, 2009: Vikings Sign Favre | Minnesota Sports Zone