Vikings Defeat Colts 13-3

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 14, 2009 – 9:13 pm

The Vikings defeated Indianapolis tonight by a count of 13-3, moving their preseason record to 1-0 and dropping the Colts to 0-1. The Viking scored all 13 of their points in the 1st half and put on a stellar defensive effort to smoother the Indianapolis offense all night.

QB Sage Rosenfels got the start and drove the Vikings 72 yards on 11 plays during the 1st series, resulting in a 5-yard Chester Taylor TD run and an early 7-0 lead. Colts QB Peyton Manning was sacked 3 times on his 1st drive and didn’t come back out for a 2nd series.

We’ll have more coverage on vikings.com tonight and into tomorrow.

Tags: ,

22 Responses to “Vikings Defeat Colts 13-3”

1. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

That was a fun game, at least for the first couple of series. Sage loked good and poised with the first team, but Jackson appeared to panic too easily and too quickly. Maybe he’ll look better next week as the starter, but from what I saw today I am comfortable and confident with Sage.

The defense was awesome too! I knew our sacks were going to go up this season, but getting Payton Manning 3 times in one drive!? Think of how much more damage they wold have done if the starters weren’t taken out so early! I was just disappointed that we didn’t get to see Jared’s post-sack hog tie because he was being held while he sacked Manning with his back!

2. By CA Norwegian on Aug 14, 2009 | Reply

It seems too difficult to let go of any of the running backs. Maybe we should keep two QB;’s and let Percy work as a scrambler 3rd stringer. Lots of fresh legs will take heat off of any QB that is back there. If the other teams have to prepare for the possiblity of a scrambling QB. then they prepare less for Sage or Tavaris or Booty -whichever is left.

3. By Brownicus on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

Overall the team looked good, defense looked great.
    Sage played well, although in a real game they wouldn’t have gotten the TD on the first drive. TJack still has next week to bounce back, but he gave Sage the edge now. Booty looked a improved compared to last preseason, but still has a ways to go before he is ready to compete for the starting job.
    Our back up RBs also impressed me as I thought just about all of them had some good carries.
    Between Farwell, Paymah, Holt, Hussain, and Frampton, I think the special teams coverage unit will be among the best this year.

4. By rap99 on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

defense looked great, as expected, sage looked very good, and should only improve as he learns the offense and the team better, no huddle was a nice twist. TJ looked the same, no improvement in four years. GO VIKES!

5. By MST on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

Texan fan here, if any of you think TJ has a chance to start, give it up. Sage is a far more superior QB and will win that job easy. TJ will be out of the league in a year and Sage will still be your QB.

6. By Vikings1 on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

I really I envy all of you that get the Vikings games on local tv. I live here in Falcon country where I seldom get to see any Vikings games unless they are on National tv. I caught the replay at 1:00 AM in the morning and what I saw really pleased me. The defense was outstanding and Sage really looked good and comfortable while he was in there. And all those cry babies downing the play of our QB’s, we will do just fine in that department especially with Sage, go Vikings! Farve or Vick “who” needs them.

7. By moorevikes on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

anybody know why percy didnt play

8. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

Vikings1 – When I was in Michigan last year I didn’t get a lot of the games on my local channels either, so I went to one of the fancier bars in the area each Sunday which had an entire sports package of channels. They let me have a 52 incher with the Vikings game each week. I’m sure if you look around you could find a bar/restaurant in Atlanta with the same courtesies.

moorevikes – Harvin was reported to have sustained a slight shoulder injury on Wednesday and was held out for precautionary reasons.

9. By dartpro77 on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

I was happy with Sage’s performance and after Jackson starts next week I still think he will show no improvement from last season. The defense was great and I can’t wait to see what they can do for 4 quarters. The special teams also appears to be much better. Go vikes

10. By CajunViking on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

Missed the 1 A.M. re-play on NFL Network but will catch it Sunday night @ 10. From the highlights the team seems like they’re heading in the right direction, even though it is just the first week of the pre-season. Sage looked pretty solid and TJ seemed his usual nervous self. Didn’t hear anything about Booty other than he ran the clock well on the final drive. Chiefs here we come!

11. By purple08 on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

Sage looked good! Go Vikings!

12. By purple08 on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

wow! sage can complete a 5 yard throw! that garbage won’t fly in regular season. sage has a weak arm. not TJ’s fault rice can’t hang on to a beauty right in his hands! poor guy can’t catch a break.

13. By CA Norwegian on Aug 15, 2009 | Reply

Keeping Harvin off game film may be caution or real genius. Maybe we should wait till Chicage or Green Bay when we are in a critical tight game to unleash things. We’ll see how the season unfolds. So much cause for hope.

14. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 16, 2009 | Reply

I kind of had that impression to begin with too CA. But all we really need to do is keep the trick plays – reverses, wildcats, etc. – off the cameras until the need presents itself. The kid still needs to get reps against other teams to get a full feel for the game. Even if it is just simple slants, or post-corner routs. I think they were just being extra cautious with their 1st rounder. Don’t forget what happened to Grenway his first year, and the team was expecting a big payout from him very quickly.

15. By rap99 on Aug 16, 2009 | Reply

08, sage does not have a weak arm, and he is accurate, let it go already with TJ, he is NOT an nfl QB, he can’t read a defense, he does NOT look off defenders, he is NOT accurate, and he always looks nervous. VIKINGS-1, i live in fla. found a bar with NFL ticket to watch games, look around you should be able to find one. is there 2 purple 08?

16. By rap99 on Aug 16, 2009 | Reply

yea…it looks like this blog site doesn’t require unique IDs

17. By TimRinger on Aug 16, 2009 | Reply

LIked what I saw in Sage. When the pocket broke down, he didn’t panic, he stepped up in the pocket when he needed to. I’ll temper it for the fact that the Colts hardly had anyone of their defensive starters in the game. Jackson had some nice escape moves out of some heavy pressure but also had some poor throws. It seems clear to me who the guy should be. Ian Johnson surprised me, he ran well, it’s a shame he can’t be used. Kepp him anyways, b/c of injuries, maybe sign him to the practice squad. Jasper Brinkley made some plays. Loadholt held his own while Cook got beat a few times.

18. By CA Norwegian on Aug 16, 2009 | Reply

TimRinger
    Did they throw a flag when Loadholt held his own? It reminds me of Bill Cosby’s Hoffstra sketch!

19. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 17, 2009 | Reply

LMFAO – I wasn’t familiar with the Hofstra reference so I looked it up. Best laugh I had in a long time. I realized I had heard it a few times before when he started talking about the “hole.”

Just to clarify – we’re Hofstra in that sketch right? And Manning is the guy going “gluhgaluh-gluhgaluh!”

20. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 17, 2009 | Reply

BTW – Here’s a link to the Hofstra sketch for those of you who enjoy the great insanity of Bill Cosby: http://www.imeem.com/megafanatic187/music/hcb3FNda/bill-cosby-hofstra/

21. By TimRinger on Aug 17, 2009 | Reply

OK, other than that hold, he did fine, give him that. It’s his first game in the pros’s, u need to remember that. He’s not going to come in and be all-world. Relax.

22. By moorevikes on Aug 17, 2009 | Reply