Harvin Hype Builds

Posted by Mike Wobschall on August 8, 2009 – 10:10 am

While playing for the University of Florida Gators, Percy Harvin was one of the most dynamic players in college football. Now that he’s been drafted and is playing for the Vikings, Harvin might soon become one of the most dynamic players in the NFL.

Granted, Harvin has yet to even play a preseason game in the NFL, let alone play in a regular season game and see any kind of success. But it’s hard not get excited about Harvin’s potential, even at this early juncture in training camp.

If you don’t understand what I mean, check out this practice highlight video.

Tags:

13 Responses to “Harvin Hype Builds”

1. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 8, 2009 | Reply

Great video. I especially liked that one leaping catch (I think by Berrian) where he was jumping in traffic and was able to easily keep posession of the ball even though someone pulled his feet out from underneath him before he could land.

2. By ibleedpurple on Aug 8, 2009 | Reply

That was Jaymar Johnson making that grab you are talking about PPE. (I just want to give credit where credit is due). I agree…great video.

3. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 8, 2009 | Reply

Thanks for the correction – I actually thought I saw #81, so I still messed up misplacing Shaincoe’s number for Berrian’s.

4. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 8, 2009 | Reply

Johnson definately appears to be earning his spot on the roster, most likely as the #5 behind Berrian, Rice, Harvin and Wade unless the coaches decide to let Wade go since he might be a little expensive as a #4 WR. But if we keep Wade and Johnson continues to impress, then that leaves 5 guys, (at least 2 who have shown promise) fighting to convince the staff that we need a 6th WR on the roster.

5. By Brownicus on Aug 9, 2009 | Reply

I think Wade will still make the team, it sounds as if Harvin will be moved around a lot, so Wade may still see a number of plays in the slot position. Besides Wade is still under contract for like 2 years, and he’s been one of our more reliable WR over the past 2 years.

6. By TimRinger on Aug 9, 2009 | Reply

I don’t know about everyone else, but I am absolutely pumped up about this coming season…which makes me nervous, b/c as all of my years as a die-hard Vikings fan, everytime the expectations are high, they never reach the pinnacle of the expectations. It’s when they fly low when they take teams by surprise. But, anyway, I think Brett Favre not coming back will be a good thing. Think about this…If you r any of the QB’s the Vikes have, all u heard about is how bad they are, how they can’t do this and that. So you want to prove a point. Couple that with an open competition and SOMEBODY has to step there game up. So I look at this as a postive. We all know that injuries can derail a team’s championship dreams, so hopefully we can come out of training camp and pre-season w/o any major injuries. Also, from what I’ve heard, EJ Henderson has been a beast at camp and Harvin is the real deal. Can’t wait. I’m a big Philadelphia Phillies fan, since I live close by Philly. With them defending their title, I still put them in the back seat when it comes to my beloved Vikings. I think this could be a good year, I can feel it.

7. By TimRinger on Aug 9, 2009 | Reply

I just also wanted to give a shout out to Brownicus, PurplePeopleEater. My old handle name was ‘Vikings’ on the old website. I respect both of ur posts, u guys r knowledgeable, and I enjoy reading them.

8. By purple08 on Aug 9, 2009 | Reply

can’t wait to see what this offense can do. it is a shame t-jack keeps struggling with his knee. i would like to see him prove some people wrong this year but he needs to stay 100% healthy.wade led the vikes in receptions last year, i have a hard time believing he will just dissapear. i was surprised to read how many people dissed him the last couple of seasons.

9. By Nam Huynh on Aug 9, 2009 | Reply

I really am excited to see Harvin play. Everyone should look up “the Percy Harvin song” on you tube, even though it makes references to Brett Favre.

10. By PurplePeopleEater on Aug 9, 2009 | Reply

I agree with all of you on Wade. I’m just worried that after doing so well as the #2 last year Wade may end up deciding he’s too good, or the coaching staff will decide that he’s too expensive to keep on board as the #4. With all the talent on offense (Peterson, Berrian, Harvin, Taylor, Rice, Shiancoe), will Wade be getting the recognition that he wants? All of these guys are showing 1st string skills, but we can’t even have them all on the field together unless one of them fills in as a lineman! And that is a-suming that we are in a Wildcat formation.

BTW – Thanks TimR, glad to know that at least one person values my opinion! I love seeing what other people think too, and having the chance to debate when we disagree. So keep the coments flowing like the beer on Superbowl Sunday!

11. By CajunViking on Aug 10, 2009 | Reply

I’m with the rest of you, I’m super pumped up about seeing Peterson on the field w/ Harvin. I’m also jacked with all the attention that JD Booty is getting, can’t wait to see what he does in preseason play.

12. By Ann on Aug 10, 2009 | Reply

Two Words for the Viking Coaches… Michael Vic, forget Farve

13. By purple08 on Aug 13, 2009 | Reply

mike vick should never be alowed to disgrace our vikings uniforms. he will never be a winner with any team. his career should be over. let someone else pick him up.