Peterson Confident, Anxious to Begin Season

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 28, 2009 – 5:08 pm

Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress confirmed to vikings.com that QB Brett Favre has decided to stay retired, ending an offseason-long string of speculation that the former Packer would join the Vikings in 2009.

In a statement released by Childress following Favre’s decision, the Vikings head coach said it was a unique opportunity to pursue a player such as Favre, but also that he feels good about his team and is looking forward to opening training camp in Mankato later this week.

One of the players who will be with the team when it opens camp on Friday is superstar RB Adrian Peterson.   Peterson is excited to begin the season and also very confident in the teammates he has.

“It doesn’t make sense to worry about things that are out of my control,” Peterson said today. “My entire focus this offseason has been to recharge my body and prepare myself for the 2009 season. I am confident in every player we have on our roster and I believe our front office has done everything in its power to keep improving our team. Now, as players, it’s our job to go out there and defend our division championship, get back to the playoffs and make a run at the Super Bowl.”

Tags:

114 Responses to “Peterson Confident, Anxious to Begin Season”

1. By EvM on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

I’m happy with Farve staying home. Just imagine what MN would be like if halfway thru the season the coaching staff had to SERIOUSLY look at benching him cause of poor performance. Not saying that would happen but he’s already been complaining about both knees, his ankle he’s had surgery on twice before, and even his back. Green Bay would always have that ability to point at us and say, “You took our leftovers.” Farve was the BEST QB in NFL history but his time is over. I have all the faith in Sage to win the starting job. I’m not a T.J. fan and believe he is more of an “X” factory rather then a QB. Either way, we have our work cut out for us this year. The whole division got better.

2. By Naelael on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Talk about egg in the face of the Vikings.

3. By Kevin on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

It would have been better without all the drama. If Favre decided about 3 months ago to play for the Vikes, it would have been fine. It was all the hype and the build up that made it such a stupid thing. I love the Vikes and I have confidence that they will do well without him. At least we know its a “no” for sure now.

4. By Adam on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Childress deserves full blame for counting on Favre, and letting opportunities to get a long-term franchise QB slip buy, as division competition shored itself up. He’ll have a Rolls Royce of a team driven by a drunk teen now. Fire him! Fire him! Freakin’ fire him!

5. By jerry on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

thank GOD ! it’s finally over with brenda farve, childress will be gone after this year regardless so let’s turn our attentions to hiring a REAL COACH this
    season or next and bring in MIKE SHANAHAN !!

SKOL VIKINGS !!!

6. By Ellen Michelson on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Its for the better of the vikings that he stays retired im sure. hopefully they will look at some other great players to step up for the position.

7. By Tom on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Ok! Time to go after Vick. He’ll fit in just nicely.

8. By Paul Nienaber on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

A.P. I love your game and your attitude. It’s just unfortunate that your talent along with that of so many of your teammates will be wasted for another season by an incompetent head coach. Maybe next year we can finally get Cower or Shanahan in here and give you a real chance at a Super Bowl.

9. By Vikefan61 on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

It’s all the MEDIA hype that blew this and everything else out of proportion!! I would WELCOME Brett here OR maybe Vick? We NEED/ED a VETERAN QB!! Our talent will only take us as far as we went last year, ESPECIALLY as the division got better in the off season!! We won’t do SQUAT with Childress calling the plays!! Hence the reason for a vet QB to be able to audible out of Childress’s nonsensical play calling!!

10. By Noreen on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Enough about Farve, anyone who thought he was really going to play, sit down, be quiet and get over it. The team is ready, lets all just be fans and be there for the season

11. By Adam on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

And, let’s not forget, that if we had wanted a tough, great veteran who knows how to run the West Coast offense, for one year, then we could have easily had Jeff Garcia, instead of watching him slip to the Raiders, where he’ll be wasted. But Childress knew better, and thought he could get Favre.

12. By sara on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Favre is and always has been to good for the viking saps. the vikings will always be wanna be’s…

13. By sara on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

A new coach will not help the vikings. they just suck…they always seem to think they are a little bit better than what they are.

14. By Brent on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Ok, people why don’t we get serious. I have been a die hard vikings fan my entire life and there is 1 thing that really upsets me with the rest of you. None of you know how to keep or get a valuble player on the roster. We needed a qb for the last multiple years. What we’re going to put the season in travaris Jacksons hands. Let’s remember his actual record last year. yeah that’s right. It’s a loosing one. Guss Forgotte did so much better. If we had farve that would actually make people cover our receivers and open up the running game for our FAVORITE AP…….. YOU GO HOMMIE…. Now imagine if we still had moss with AP, that would be a done deal for any team to try and stop the offense. Yet once again none of you liked moss even though he was always double + teamed which left a man 1 on 1 or even wide open. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS LETS GET A QB… Once we can fill in that spot, I’m very sure and confident that we as fans, and as a team will ahve what it takes to make the super bowl. I really wish farve came to the vikings. And even favres worst game isn’t nearly as bad as our worst game.

15. By Les on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Why do the vikings alway’s gp for the “has been” QB’s given that Cunningham got us close that 1 year haha!! I mean c’mon really Cunningham, Moon, McMahon,….(I’m sure i forgot a few
    ) and now they were seriously considering Favre…..quit wasting time and money and go for a decent rookie that can actually help the team. AND YES FIRE CHILDRESS AND GET A REAL HEAD COACH!

16. By Les on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Why not see if Marino will come out of retirment and play for us.

17. By dizzle on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

favre played us, but its all good. This team is exactly that A TEAM. We have to many weapons, the rest of our division got better, so what they still aint on our level. I like both qb’s i think t-jack should start but be on short leash, because sage is good, and he could come in a take over. SKOL VIKINGS

18. By Brent on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

P.S. Childress I would love to challenge you to a bet over your job…..

19. By Brent on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

TO LES,

We have a decent qb J. Booty, from u.s.c. Really it’s just getting Childish to play him.

20. By Mthman on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

The QB’s that have been sitting watching Childress pursue “his” career are ticked regardless of what they say. Hopefully they will use the emotion to bring out their best and defy their/our coach! We have another special player in Harvin and AP is going to run away with the rushing title! To all of the REAL VIKINGS FANS…..GREEN BAY SUCKS! NO.4 just proved it AGAIN! He was never going to be a VIKING in my mind…just like he was never a JET to true JETS fans! Bring on the season! GO VIKINGS!

21. By cole on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

oh no brett favre isn’t a viking waaa 2 words michel vick he’s way better then brett favre he’s paided his time he could bring us to the superbowl

22. By DJ on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Well I am gald makde up is mind, and the team can move foreward this and there a other QB out there his name Mike Vick

23. By bob on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

It’s a shame that Brett decided to retire. He still had it in him to compete for a Super Bowl despite all his injuries.

24. By CA Norwegian on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

G’bye Farve, maybe we’ll see you coaching soon. If the current crop of QB’s has grown, and the receivers have grown, and the blocking has grown… We’ll be cheering! The new Bears QB is experienced, but overrated and what is his bad weather record? That is what they have if the Bears are at home in the playoffs. If we wildcard and go to Chicago, look for an upset. Duh Vikes have Duh running game, and Taylor is Duh most unheralded great back ever. No insult intended Adrian. We are all glad our D doesn’t chase you. But I think Taylor should be out there more, even if as an H back taking screens opposite Adrian’s pattern. He’s is usually good for a catch and a broken tackle.

25. By Kevin C on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

I agree with Brent, J.D. Booty is a good young qb who just needs a chance to play with the other starters.

26. By Rex Solomon on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Perhaps a blessing in disguise. Sage is a good back-up. Tavaris is not a playoff quarterback. Give a chance to Michael Vick before Bret changes his mind again.

27. By Keith on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

THIS GOES TO PROVE FAVRE IS A PACKER AT HEART! GO PACK GO!

28. By travis on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

I think we should pick up VICK. Hes the best qb out there. Even with all the drama he might bring.

29. By gatelime on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Wonderful…another mediocre season…can’t wait…

30. By WarrenMoond on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Hmmmm…I got ripped by all you guys a few months ago for saying it but…VICK! VICK! VICK! He’s out to prove people wrong. I don’t want to face him! So get ‘em! To Favre…meow!

31. By Viking Vic on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Whew!

32. By spencer on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

go after VICK!!!! now

33. By Sneaks on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Man I can’t belive we are not going to have Favre on our team. I am turning in my season tickets. This is the last straw. Shanahan and Cower will never come here to coach. Might as well cheer for Green Bay. There the only good team in the division and they have the best organization, and they have the best stadium…better them our dome.
    Man, this is the worst day ever.

34. By Luke on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Everything happens for a reason. We are better off without the show. Too many ghosts. Lets concentrate on the future. We need a quaterback we can count on to perform. Time to step up.
    SKOL VIKINGS

35. By GoSage on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Brett WOULD have brought intangibles not found in any other available quarterback available to the vikes (including Vick who has never won it all). However, you are all acting like this is all over and we didn’t add anything to our team this year. One thing has to be said, TJack while servicable, will never have the proper type of intelligence required to be a franchise QB and you can see it whenever he plays moves or talks. However, while Vick has more experience and is better athletically, I honestly believe Sage will do very well in our system. He’s played for two (at the time) horrendous teams that were rebuilding had no line and just last year in 6 games had 1,431 yards (which is roughly 3000-4000 per season for a ful one) and a QB rating of 79.5 with the texans. He’s got a few huge weapons he didn’t have in houston and I think he will do great. I bought my season tickets last week and I have no regret. If you weren’t fair wheather lamers you would know our team is still going to take division crown. (If you are a dilusion bears fan and think your biggest issue was QB, or GB thinking it was just defense man, have fun this year)

36. By DC on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Good for you Vikings. Now go show em that it’s TEAM FIRST!!! Go Vikes!

37. By GoSage on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Maybe I should take my own advice and learn more about spelling and sentences. Either way, as DC said: Lets go Vikes fans!

38. By Giles on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

What a disaster…..

All Vikings coaching staff, most notably Childress should be held accountable. All in due time…Bottom line, Childress is done this year with anything less than NFC championship. And he knows it. Hence the desperation in chasing #4.

That said, Seems a bit strange though you think? NFL.com reporting he’s going to keep throwing, blah blah blah…But,

Let’s shoot a spoof commercial on #4′s “indecision” issues for Sears and the next week back out…

Isn’t the idea to have the spot running during the season for the Mktg folks at Sears?….You’d think they’d want their guy in the league….Playing. Not quite the same effect if he’s on the mower.

Too bad Vikes don’t have a legit QB to go to.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Favre changes his mind in the AM and we’re back to the same grind…

I say Bring Vick into the Freakshow….What is there to lose? Without a SuperBowl this year will only be remembered as the year Favre decided NOT to wear purple.

39. By muawiye on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Finally…………………………………………………..michael vick anyone mwhahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. By barry on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

VICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. By Ludvig on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

All you nice folks should just grow up a bit and see what plays out….it;s not a predictable sport…individual performances from one week to the next are not predictable, and what other teams accomplish is not very predictable…Let it be….breathe a little…..open your mind, not the mouth….most words in July are eaten in November.

42. By Starks on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

If childress is confident in our QB situation we would not have pursued Brett so hard( trips to Hattisburg, playbook rotation,phone calls, TXT messages). Don’t hide behind the fact we need a QB now, it just upsets a lot of people. You dont see people like Jackson or Sage leading teams to Superbowls.

43. By Bev on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Brett needs to stay retired and should of after the pack days……lets move on and go for vick!!!!!

44. By GoSage on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

So what did Chicago do a few years back? Or Tampa? Oh, they had unbelievable talent at QB right, not really.

45. By Giles on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Exceptions to the general rule my friend…(See Brady, Roethlisberger, Warner…)

Each (McMahon and Dilfer) were starters and had experience for quite some time.

Nobody was looking for Favre to come in and be the gunslinger. No reason with #28 and Chester in the backfield. Experience baby. Just pose a competent threat. Something that TJack has been unable to do with plenty of opportunity. Sage to this point hasn’t been able to hold a starting spot either.

Again, unfortunately as a result of putting all the eggs in a basket with #4, there is going to be fallout, including additional lines for excuses when convenient. Without a trip to the big dance, this year will only be remembered as the one where Favre got away. And without question, the media will remind of us that every step of the way….

Wonder when those single game Bears and Packers tix will be going on sale? I give it a week…

46. By Mark on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Vick?!? Are you all serious? He’d do exactly what we don’t need which is to draw opposing defenses even tighter to our offensive line of scrimmage. With our D and AD (plus Chester) I’m ready to see how things play out – SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!

47. By PurplePeopleEater on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Even if Vick were right for the team, he won’t be allowed to play the first 6 games of the year. We have high expectations for this year and need to move forward with the guys we have in place. Vick will just add that much more distraction for the starting QB until he has the chance to take over – and then things will get messy.

Don’t forget that Ben Roethlisberger won it all last year. Sage is extremely comparable to Big Ben in skills and style, and we have a top end defense backing him up just like Ben did. Ben’s best offensive weapon was Hines Ward. His best RB was Mewelde Moore, the guy we had to finally let walk because AP and Taylor are better. I think it looks like we have a great shot this year, if Sage can simply lead the offense and manage the clock.

48. By Giles on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

I think we’re only “kind of” serious given the latest turn of events.

Just a bit of a disappointing day my man. Not quite 1998, but in the same ballpark.

The prospect of seeing #4 roll out in Purple and managing an offense that is poised to be smoking with an experienced captain was captivating and seemed to be a forgone conclusion… Not to mention the vibe of seeing #4 roll into Lambeau, Soldier in Purple, Minnesota the epicenter of NFL for a season etc….

Vikes need a QB and the coaching staff knows/knew it…

49. By GoSage on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Purple, just to set everyone here straight, Vick is potentially elligible for play starting from the first regular season game. He could also play as much as the last 2 preseason games as well.
    Go to NFL.COM and its the latest story on him. And if McMahon was an answer to my question, I wasn’t referring to winning it, I was referring to getting there because someone said “leading teams to Superbowls”.

50. By Logan Dittman on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

I was looking forward to having Brett as or QB but I’m sorda glad too. I don’t think he would’ve done well. There was a lot of pressure on him and with his surgery and stuff I don’t think he would’ve done well. I’m hoping that Sage will get the starting job over T-Jack because after 3 years of him…. he just hasn’t shown that he can be a starting quarterback. Sage did well as the fill-in for the Texans QB so I hope he can do well for us. We have the recipe for success. We have a great running game, a number 1 rushing defense, Bernard and Percy, and a pro bowl corner….. now if that’s not a super bowl team that I don’t no what is.
    So what I’m trying to say here is that we’ll be good without Farve.

Go Vikings, I have confidence that this year will be the year!

51. By Alana on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Say it isn’t so! Favre is not playing for our Vikes and yes that upsets me. I have been a long time devoted fan to the Vikings through it all, like most of us have. Hmm except for people like Sara who should just go find another team or better yet maybe a so call sport like nascar is more up your ally. Anyways I totally agree that it all comes down to this..we need a QB!! so bad it isn’t even funny. And I was hoping with Favre on our team he would help lead the Vikes in the right direction. We all know he is a good QB and team leader. With Adrian, Chester, new WR and a good defense we have the potential. I just keep thinking that one of these days we will have ALL the pieces in place and we will have a TEAM that the others will fear come game day.

52. By PurplePeopleEater on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

GoSage – Sorry, I was just pointing out the worst-case scenario. I get too wordy as it is without listing EVERY possible outcome!

53. By theguds on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Good bye Chilly!!!! And make sure you take tevaris and Sage with once the season has ended.

54. By Vikes1234124 on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Okay now we know we can’t have farve, but why not look at vick. Whats the worst he could do? He has 6 weeks to look at the playbook and get use to the offense! We all know he has the talent and its not like we have to sign him for 5 years. He would make a perfect combo with peterson!! He can even play the last two preseason games I do believe. It’s worth a shot, he should be a lot cheaper then farve would’ve been.

55. By Levi on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

SUPER!
    I guess Sage and Tavarus are the answer after all! Right?
    Guess we should get ready for another year of defenses stacking 9 against AP. 376 times.

56. By mnsoldier on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Shanahan, Shanahan, Shanahan, Shanahan, Shanahan, Shanahan, Shanahan, Shanahan, Shanahan, Shanahan, Shanahan, Shanahan

Ya I am looking for a Real Coach to take the helm. Ziggy do the right thing

57. By all times Fans on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Brett is good QB but hey! Vikings were dominated with running the ball so we will be at the Superbowls this season. Go vikings……

58. By rap99 on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

t

59. By TC on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Never wanted Favre. I couldn’t root for a guy that I’ve rooted against for 16 years. He is the ALL TIME NFL INTERCEPTION LEADER! We don’t need that. How about a trade for a top QB. Can our GM make that happen?

60. By Southwest Viking Fan on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

I think a lot of Viking fans that like to compain about Tavaris and Childress forget that Tavaris hasn’t had that much experience yet. I saw a lot of improvment last season. I am a Cardinal season ticket holder but a long time Viking fan. I think the Vikings are going to do much better than most people expect and will definetely be surprised in the QB play of Jackson. Matter of fact I hate complainers and I hate fans that are so short sighted as to boo their own team at home games. I think they should stay home and not waste their money on a ticket if they are not going to support their team. I’ll be there on Monday Night in October when we kill the Packers, without Brett Farve! You lame Viking fans that boo their own team better not be setting by me at the Packer game? Go Vikes!!!

61. By Brock Case on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

t jak has the tools to be a good qb we just need to start reading coverages his arm is strong enough to be a good quarterback

62. By shane on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

dont forget everyone…..this is bret farve until it is week 1 and hes not under center dont count him out. hes a drama queen and could easily change his mind in a week or 2.

63. By Ross on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Give J.D. Booty a chance he’s a good qb, c ya later childress unless you win a super bowl this year. And maybe we should try Vick he was pretty good with Atlanta. GO ANTOINE WINFIELD!!!

64. By all day on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

yes t jak is sick

65. By all day on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

im down with vick and the wildcat

66. By PurplePeopleEater on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Right-on SW VFan. I only wish more of us were true Vikings fans! Find yourself a seat in section 231 and we’ll hold down the fort together!

67. By Jr on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

VICK and AP in the backfield together…now that is scary…..GO GET VICK!

68. By GoSage on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

I’ll get ripped for this one, but I am in the tiny minority that believe that Childress is actually a good coach. He’s improved the vikings record by 2 games each year. If can do that again next year, we are most likely in the championship. I think he understands the urgency of winning now however and he finally realizes that TJack is not the answer. Childress is learning and you can tell that the Vikes are getting more fluid in operations during the game. The MN drafting and free agency pickups have been great on a rediculous consistency (yes they got lucky on some picks falling as they did but they have had at least above average success). Think: Allen, AD, Harvin(TBD), Madieu Williams, Shiancoe? The fact that TJWhosyourmomma didn’t sign with MN states a clear fact, people other than MN fans do not believe MN has an acceptable QB. And I will throw half eaten hotdogs at people who boo the vikes at home always, or at least want to.

69. By PurplePeopleEater on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Come on now GoSage, it makes no sense to waste perfectly good food on bad fans – just throw your empty beer bottle at ‘em!

70. By Bull Durham on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Lost out on cottler and look wher he’s at.But our coaching staff has been rotating out to current champions now shannahan is coming up next year,are we going to let him go to Detroit? BETTER THINK ABOUT IT!

71. By Stephen Hesse on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

Ok to all you na sayers who think Childress can’t cut it. Every NFL fan starts off each year with high hopes and dreams of a superbowl victory for there team, even Lions fans. Who knows what will happen. Thats part of the fun of being a fan. So before all of you na sayers of Brad Childress say fire him this year as soon as he makes a wrong decision, which he will he’s only human. Each year I go into the season hoping for the best and you know something thats why I love this game and still play it as of today. GO VIKINGS.

72. By BENTLEY MAN on Jul 28, 2009 | Reply

GET VICK!! GET VICK!! GET VICK!! GET VICK!!

73. By flydaddyvikings on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Its all Publicity. All for the media to have something to talk about. The team will not be side tracked by this. The vikings were just trying to make the team better. if not have FFarve play have him teaching your QB’s. good try if you ask me. BUT the Vikings could hire him as the QB coach! LMAO

74. By flydaddyvikings on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

T jack will start if he dont ill be suprised

75. By Presfwrd on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

I hated Brett when he was Packer..I loved Brett when he may have been a Viking…Now I hate Brett again…and I think we should go after Vick. Chilly call Vick…offer him the right to wear purple in order to regain his integrity back.

76. By john romero on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

vikings suck its all about DA BEARS

77. By Jonesclan on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

To those of you that are harshing on the Vikes, get a clue. The Vikes don’t suck. The Lions suck. The Raiders suck. The Rams suck. Not the Vikes. The Vikes beat out YOUR team for the division last year, Bears and Pack fans. Will they do it this year with 2nd rate QBs and a 3rd rate coach? Its quite possible. Farve would have made this Division contender into a Superbowl contender, according to every pundit I have heard speak on the subject. Now, really, the best we can realistically hope for is what we had last year… a decent run that ended with a coach and QB in over their heads in the playoffs. Wheeeee……

78. By Jonesclan on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

BTW…
    You guys want Vick? Really? Roddy White was useless with Vick at the controls. One year with a ROOKIE QB chucking him the ball, and he’s a friggin probowler. Vick is a heck of an athlete, but a quality NFL QB he is not nor will he ever be. We need a leader that doesn’t get frazzled and doesn’t throw the ball away. We have AD and P Harvin to be the highlight reel guys.

79. By John on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

None of you are seeing the importance in the money we would have earned in tickets from favre. In one year we could be seeing just like the mn lakers, the la vikings. And the bears are the least of likely to win anything.

80. By Kevin on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Our record has improved by 2 games each year since Childress has arrived. He’s a smart coach, and he was smart to go after Favre. That being said, T-Jack has improved a lot over the last few years, and with Berrian, Rice, and Harvin, our opponents defenses will HAVE to play back and take pressure off the line. The deep ball threat is REAL this year. I see AP and Chester having big years again, with T-Jack contributing with big plays once in a while. Of course we still have an amazing defense with Henderson back in the mix. Division champs again, no problem. I see a potential run at the Super Bowl. We never needed Favre in the first place. GO VIKINGS!!!

81. By Vikings23 on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Alright, time to go and get the real players. Start making a deal with vick. He still has a lot of years left in him, hes in great shape after being in prison, and hes desparate enough for a team so we dont have to pay him such a high salary. And on top of all that, he could be one of the most productive QB’s to ever come to minnesota. Come on vikes, lets be the team to give him another chance and bring him back to the NFL!

82. By JayDieHard on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

SHUT UP ALREADY,
    You all claim to be Viking fans and all you can do is whine about Favre. Are you idiots forgetting were the defending north champs, we destroyed the Cardinals whom barely lost the Superbowl and Tjack has improved every year. I have nothing bad to say about any one on our team, except maybe the play calling but I still have hope that Childress has improved with expirience. You cant really blame him for going after a 3time mvp, but this team lacking a bit at quaterback or not is the 2nd best only to 98 iv’e seen in my lifetime for the Vikes. So everyone needs to wipe away your tears, stop running your own team into the ground and start supporting our 10- 6 vikes weve only gotten better. I have nothing against Sage and if he wins the job great but at this point Im gonna cheer on Tjack and watch him throw multiple 4 TD games. The time for complaining will come in January if we dont improve from last year,but till then GO VIKES!!!!!! P.S. I still love , any friend of the Vikes is a friend of mine. One more thing Cmon Childress lets get this team hyped and be creative this is the year to make your own mark not just some coordinator following in the footsteps of Andy Reid.

83. By Monte on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

AP is so heady. I like the fact that he said that he has confidence in all of the players on the roster. That is what it is all about. We made the freaking playoffs last season, with this same roster, give or take a few players. Anyway. We can make the playoffs with, possible Super Bowl, if we believe in the players that we have and stop trying to micromanage them, let them play them play the game! Thanks, AP

84. By Tim on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

I have been a Viking fan since the early 70′s, when Tarkenton and Eller and the rest of the Purple People Eaters were roaming the field. I looked up to them. They were my role models. I think that it was a mistake to go after Brett because his time has come and gone. To me he is a role model for the younger kids. He tried to play even when his age and abilities were failing him. Now, as I read what some of you are writing about getting Vick, my stomach turns. One, he is a thug and always will be. Two, he is no role model for our kids. TJ is not a very good quarterback, but I would rather have him than Vick by far. Winning and money isn’t everything. Honor and commitment are far more important. BC is trying to be a good coach. Hopefully he will make something happen this year.

85. By Jim on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

I think Jackson will do okay this year, we just need him to settle down, hang on to the ball when he gets sacked, and don’t throw to many interceptions. Go VIKINGS!

86. By calligraphyart on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Stay healthy.

Chinese calligraphy art, unique gifts. http://www.wavedancing.net

87. By ajiib on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

na cuz…farve dont wanna play for da vikes cuz its bcuz he dont like minnesota hahaha but it would b very nice to see minnesota pick up vick….den da vikings can go to da supa bowl baby ahhahaa

88. By Jaden on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Jackson can give us a super bowl run. he can throw well if the d is focused on ap, so if we do a lot of play action, he will do good. He doenst throw hardly any picks and that’s the kind of qb that we need with a d as good as ours and with an offense full of weapons. GO T-JACK AND GO VIKINGS!!!!!!

89. By Charlie on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Yeah!!!! I wouldn’t be able to watch a game if Farve was QB. It’s sacreligious.

90. By andrew on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

time for vick?

91. By thehammerofthor on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

I am glad the Farve thing is over. I agree with AP. We have a strong team without Farve, and it is time to get on with the season

92. By Robert on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Seriously, I don’t understand the Chilly haters everywhere. The team has done nothing but improve ever since he took over. The Vikes have just about everything in place to make a run for the Super Bowl, so how can you blame him for wanting to take a chance and see what one of the greatest QBs of all time could do? I have all the confidence in the world in Sage & personally believe all we need is a Trent Dilfer type of quarterback to get the job done, which I think Sage is, but the excitement Favre could have brought to the table is unmeasureable. At least he doesn’t have to say to himself…”what if I took that chance”. So cut Chilly some slack, we’re way better off now than we were 4 or 5 years ago.

93. By Robert on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

And for all you chanting for Vick….why on earth would you want that piece of trash on our team?

94. By SABOWA on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

GUESS WHO’S THE FAVORITE IN THE NFC NORTH……QUICK HINT….TITLETOWN, USA!!! GO PACK GO!!

95. By vikings fan on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Adrian Peterson deserves a much better team because we are wasting his skill along with many other players on the vikings. If we traded him he would get a superbowl ring like Randy Moss on the patriots, Kevin Garnett on the celtics or Doug Mietwiecz on the red sox or pascal dupuis on the penguins they all end up on teams who actually want to win.

96. By burntheboats on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Favre had his extended chance, and he has failed to answer the call. Cutler was way over-priced for a market area that fails to bring in big bucks. Garcia’s wife would never come to Minnesota unless global warming really got totally out of control. Now, Sage and Tarvaris get to duel it out. Let them each show what they can do and may the better man win.

97. By Doogie Douglas on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

We have the best team in all area’s but one. Unless we do what it takes $ to get a proven QB it will be close but no cigar again this year!!!!!!!!!!

98. By Joey on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Thank god brett favre isnt gonna play for us i mean hes an outstanding quarterback with a cannon for an arm but hes way to old and i personally just dont like him. theres something that makes me really furious about the vikings and this should make every viking fan furious to. 2 words brad childress MIKE VICK he is still gonn abe amazing in the league and hes the ultimate weapon why would we not sign him? if the vikings got mike vick we would be in the super bowl garunteed we need mike vick hes the answer to our prayers.

99. By David#28 on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Alright well its a good thing we did not get Favre! They do not need him for the Vikings to win a Superbowl. I believe in Tarvaris to be the new Man for the job…He’s got what it takes! It was not his fault that they lost to the eagles in the playoffs, its all the snappers fault! I mean c’mon how can you mess up on a snap!? He snapped the ball to his knees and caused a fumble therefore causing the Vikings to lose….or else they would of had a chance to comeback and Win!! So this year with the new line up, they are definitely going to the Playoffs and winning the Superbowl!!

100. By Chuntito on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

I am so happy with Favre’s decision. The team is going to do just fine without him. Over all the team has come ahead faceing countless obstacles. Still managed to be NFC North Champs last season. The Vikings are just that good and will be that good this season too.

101. By Might Mighty Vikings on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Vick?

102. By sam on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

i think that the vikings should get Vick because all the players on the vikings have criminal records exept for peterson so why not add one more

103. By sam on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

I think that favre was getting payed by the packers to play a game with the vikings

104. By sam on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

TO SABOWA

dont be so negetive

105. By Izzy on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

is it just me or do i not believe favre. i bet he joins team halfway through preseason. he just wants the media out of his home for now plus doesnt want to go through the first grueling stages of training camp.

106. By sonny on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Bret would have been a good addition to the team, an even better one ten years ago. I think it was a tough decision, and in the end, he made the right one for him. He was a great QB, and I would have rather seen him not come out of retirement the first time. My problem is with all of the people mentioning Michael Vick as the QB we should be persuing. We have the best RB in the league, and you want a so-so running quarterback? Vick would be a good addition to a team with less running capability, but his inaccuracy and inconsistency is not what the Vikings need. We have an exceptional WR core, especially with the addition of Harvin, we need a QB who can get the ball in their hands consistently! Sage, TJ, and even JDB have that capability, although each needs to work on one aspect or another to get it there. I would love to see any one of these guys come out, sit in the pocket, and deliver the ball on target. If we see that, add in AP and Taylor in the backfield, and a stunning D, I see another Division Championship and a run in the playoffs this season.

107. By unicron on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

We need MV #7

108. By Vikings1 on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

In my opinion, the biggest problem we had with our team last year was the secondary. Remember the game against the Colts where we were leading 15-0 at halftime and Manning had a field day against our non-existent cover-2 defense. And to make matters worse, the play calling was horrible especially in the 2nd half, if the problems with the secondary isn’t fixed, doesn’t matter who the QB is, we will still be in for a mediocre season.

109. By GoSage on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Wait a sec, you think having a field day against our defense is scoring 6 FIELD GOALS and not having MN score ONE touch down the second half?

Now here’s an interesting possibility I am willing Favre didn’t think of….

What if the Vikings actually get to the super bowl with finally at least average QB play? Someone should have brought this up for him because he will feel regret 100%.

110. By Kid on Jul 29, 2009 | Reply

Vikings need to be smart and pick up Vick. We have Peterson, Berrain, Harvin (when he signs), and Vick on the field at the same time sounds good and looks like a nightmare to the opposing defense.

111. By Rory on Jul 30, 2009 | Reply

It would of been good to get favre but it would of been a risk to say the least.Now it’s t-jacks turn to show the fans what he’s really made of.If it doesnt work out this season why not go for vick?

112. By Buffalo Bills on Aug 3, 2009 | Reply