WRs Rice, Johnson Work Among Minnesota’s Best

Posted by Mike Wobschall on July 15, 2009 – 9:17 am

A dilemma many NFL fans face each year is deciding which team to root for in the Super Bowl, since most of the time their team isn’t 1 of the 2 teams battling for the Lombardi Trophy.

That dilemma was made much easier for Minnesotans last year when the Cardinals and Steelers faced one another because Larry Fitzgerald, a Minnesota native and former star out of Holy Angels, is a member of the Cardinals.

As Fitzgerald prepares for another NFL season, his 6th, he invited some colleagues (and a Vikings legend) to Minnesota to workout with him. Cris Carter, Green Bay WR Greg Jennings and Washington CB DeAngelo Hall are just a few of the individuals working with Fitzgerald.

And a couple of Vikings have gotten in on the action, according to Judd Zulgad and Chip Scoggins of the Star Tribune.

According to the report, Fitzgerald was trying to get Sidney Rice to participate in some of the workouts. Recently, Rice decided to join, and he brought 2nd-year WR Jaymar Johnson with him.

Rice even posted a blog entry on his website about the workout.

“Cris gave me some good pointers about coming out of my breaks,” Rice says in his blog. “He pointed out that a big guy like me, my body can’t do the same things that smaller guys can do. He was showing me some great things.”

Rice also had an interesting line about Fitzgerald, saying “Larry was my favorite receiver when I was in high school, that’s why I wore No. 1, because that was the number he wore at Pitt. Larry is just a great dude, he’s been an All-Pro so many times but he just acts like a regular guy. He’s always willing to help out.”

As pointed out in the Star Tribune blog entry, Rice is entering an important season in 2009 as he recovers from a knee injury that sidetracked his 2008 season and tries to build upon his productive rookie season (2007). I wouldn’t be a surprised to see Rice play extremely well early in training camp because I’ve seen him here at Winter Park frequently during the offseason. And working with guys like Fitzgerald and Cris Carter will only improve Rice’s chances of having a great season in 2009.

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “WRs Rice, Johnson Work Among Minnesota’s Best”

1. By Nam Huynh on Jul 15, 2009 | Reply

I’m pulling for Sidney Rice to have a good season. He has great hands and great size. I hope he, Berrian and Harvin cause havoc down field with Peterson and Taylor forcing players in the box.

2. By Kyle Maki on Jul 15, 2009 | Reply

I think people underestimate how much of an impact great tudoring can have on a receiver. That’s partly why great receivers seem to come in pairs. Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison, Larry Fitz and Anquan Boldin, and even Cris Carter was right there with Randy Moss. The Vikings have been lacking that leadership at the WR position. So for Rice to work with guys like Fitz and CC in the offseason….that could be huge! I hope all of the hard work pays off for Sidney. He definitely has all the tools.

3. By mikewobschall on Jul 15, 2009 | Reply

I agree that success breeds success, but I don’t agree that the Vikings have lacked leadership at the position. George Stewart is one of the best and most-respected position coaches in the league and a player like Bobby Wade is all anyone can ask for from a good teammate and knoledgeable player perspective. The issue with Rice and his lack of development over the past year was injuries. But you’re right, Rice has the tools and working with Cris Carter and Larry Fitz can’t hurt him.

4. By ozkovelasko on Jul 15, 2009 | Reply

Hats off to Cris and Fitz, sagacious receiver’s advice is always appreciated. Like Nam Huynh eluded to..Rice, Berrian and Harvin= Havoc, Chaos!! GO VIKINGS

5. By Shirley on Jul 15, 2009 | Reply

OHHHHHH I can’t wait for the season to start and see what Rice,Berrian,Harvin are going to do in the back field and Peterson,Taylor are going to run great with 8 in the box and not 11 they are going to play us very different

6. By Brettly on Jul 15, 2009 | Reply

Hey has anybody heard any good things about Jaymar Johnson all i hav been hearing hes faster than lightning. If anybody knows plz tell me. thanks

7. By DANNY on Jul 15, 2009 | Reply

here is some videos of Johnson while in college. It is a few years old, but gives you an idea on the kid. I think he has some talent, and i would say he is kinda fast.. lol.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td3fDeVD_vk

8. By HornedHelm on Jul 16, 2009 | Reply

I still think Rice is going to have a good year…baring any injuries. I hold to my projections 7 TDs depending on who is tossing the ball. Wobdchall – good to see you on here.

9. By Red on Jul 17, 2009 | Reply

I have been psyched for this coming season! With the new talent, and also our returning players, it will be great. Still waiting on the Favre thing. Still not sure how he would do if he did join the Vikes. Oh well.

10. By mikewobschall on Jul 20, 2009 | Reply

I hope your projections are accurate. I think it’s a good goal for Rice. I’m happy to join in on the fun here in the comments section. With the improved interface on the vikings.com blog, I anticipate having more posts daily and also commenting more to interact with the readers.

2. Dec 3, 2009: Vikings Blog